Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest Chiclana Scam!!

Latest Chiclana Scam!!

Old May 4th 2005, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Smile Latest Chiclana Scam!!

Hi everyone

I have heard from a reliable source that the latest scam by constructors is to install an electric meter which are readily available to buy in Chiclana. Then the house looks as if it has the electricity BUT Endesa/Sevillana come and check out the meter, if they have not installed it they put a yellow sticker on the box and remove the meter. So people the only way you can be sure you have a genuine meter supplied by Endesa if you are buying a property is to take the serial number of the meter and check it at Endesa to see that it has a contract with them...

What next???

Old May 5th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Latest Chiclana Scam!!

It's perhaps no surprise that Builder's are finding new ways to get round the electricity problems. It's been months now since the problem first came to a head and yet they appear to be no nearer a solution.

It's perhaps safer to assume that no new build will have a legal electricity supply in Chiclana at this time and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise!!!
Old May 5th 2005, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Latest Chiclana Scam!!

Originally Posted by dazzle
It's perhaps no surprise that Builder's are finding new ways to get round the electricity problems. It's been months now since the problem first came to a head and yet they appear to be no nearer a solution.

It's perhaps safer to assume that no new build will have a legal electricity supply in Chiclana at this time and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise!!!
I concurr with your sentiments and feel the ONLY way to buy a house is to make sure it is over 4 years old which is a rarity now.

I do feel it is deplorable and disgusting and someone should be held responsible it is many people's life savings they are dealing with. It is well past time that Chiclana Town Hall got off its backside and took action against these terrible people.

I would advise anyone buying a property in Chiclana - think twice - come on people you would never consider buying a house in the UK with these problems so why do it here???

For instance I saw a property which I was going to buy last year but the agent said it was sold. The other week I was looking again and guess what the same property was for sale but instead of it having a 810 plot it only had 500 and another house was built on the rest!! You could look out of your bedroom window into the other houses bedroom and shake hands with your neigbour (if you liked him of course) - despicable and greedy!!!!
Old May 5th 2005, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
I
For instance I saw a property which I was going to buy last year but the agent said it was sold. The other week I was looking again and guess what the same property was for sale but instead of it having a 810 plot it only had 500 and another house was built on the rest!! You could look out of your bedroom window into the other houses bedroom and shake hands with your neigbour (if you liked him of course) - despicable and greedy!!!!
A practice that's commonplace and accepted here in England of course.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dazzle
A practice that's commonplace and accepted here in England of course.
Sorry Dazzle. Dont fully understand. Are you saying that the same problems with electric and illegal building go on in the uk? Its a long time since I had a house there.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, of course not but dividing up larger plots and cramming houses in small places is commonplace.

Large gardens are fast becoming a thing of the past as the price of land is now so expensive, and you would live in very close proximity to your neighbours if you bought a newly built house here.

I see the electricity and planning permission problems as a very serious seperate issue.
Old May 12th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

Can we just clarify that if you buy in Chiclana town itself or in the centre of the main resorts around the town there is no problem with electricity supplies?

I assume we are talking about the buildings going up on the outskirts of the town e.g. Pago etc? Also the water supply is a worry as (as far as I am aware) they mostly rely on boreholes and these will dry up if too many houses are built for the supply level.

Am I right in thinking that septic tanks could also effect the water supply? Not sure how well they have thought about the infrastructure for such things in these new build areas.

Shame as it is a gorgeous area
Old May 12th 2005, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool Re: Latest Chiclana Scam!!

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
Can we just clarify that if you buy in Chiclana town itself or in the centre of the main resorts around the town there is no problem with electricity supplies?

I assume we are talking about the buildings going up on the outskirts of the town e.g. Pago etc? Also the water supply is a worry as (as far as I am aware) they mostly rely on boreholes and these will dry up if too many houses are built for the supply level.

Am I right in thinking that septic tanks could also effect the water supply? Not sure how well they have thought about the infrastructure for such things in these new build areas.

Shame as it is a gorgeous area
As far as I understand it the electricity problem is mainly focused on properties the majority of which are new builds. Unfortunately the Town Hall in Chiclana ignored what was happening and this resulted in many houses being constructed all around Chiclana in the wrong areas and with no planning permissions.

Yes the water supply is a worry for the reasons you have said. We have been informed that possibly this summer some areas of which we are not sure where will be without water. This is a direct result of enjoying a very dry winter.

Chiclana Natural (Water Company) had a report last week in the paper saying that the water from these boreholes was unhealthy and could lead to medical conditions such as renal and skin problems.

Regarding Sceptic tanks this is also a possibility. A few weeks ago our water supply from our bore hole smelt very bad as it was running through the tap - almost like bad drain smell. There are many older types of these tanks which are not sealed properly and sewerage soaks into the ground from these.

I understand that Sceptic tanks according to the EEU are not environmentally friendly and possibly illegal??

Yes the area is lovely but the infrastructure is a mess and cannot possibly cope with all the new builds and increased population. If you walk around Chiclana you can actually smell the drains.

The Council is planning to urbanise all areas ie give everyone mains water and sewerage - but this looks as if it will take many years. We came last year and they are still working on the same area...

My suggestion is that the constructors and their workforce stop building NOW and get together with the Council and concentrate their efforts on a proper infrastructure which will be adequate to cope with the increase in population.

PS I understand it is estimated that 8000 houses are illegal in Chiclana and this from such a small area should be a concern to everyone living here.

:scared:
Old May 12th 2005, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

As far as I understand it the electricity problem is mainly focused on properties the majority of which are new builds. Unfortunately the Town Hall in Chiclana ignored what was happening and this resulted in many houses being constructed all around Chiclana in the wrong areas and with no planning permissions.

Yes the water supply is a worry for the reasons you have said. We have been informed that possibly this summer some areas of which we are not sure where will be without water. This is a direct result of enjoying a very dry winter.

Chiclana Natural (Water Company) had a report last week in the paper saying that the water from these boreholes was unhealthy and could lead to medical conditions such as renal and skin problems.

Regarding Sceptic tanks this is also a possibility. A few weeks ago our water supply from our bore hole smelt very bad as it was running through the tap - almost like bad drain smell. There are many older types of these tanks which are not sealed properly and sewerage soaks into the ground from these.

I understand that Sceptic tanks according to the EEU are not environmentally friendly and possibly illegal??

Yes the area is lovely but the infrastructure is a mess and cannot possibly cope with all the new builds and increased population. If you walk around Chiclana you can actually smell the drains.

The Council is planning to urbanise all areas ie give everyone mains water and sewerage - but this looks as if it will take many years. We came last year and they are still working on the same area...

My suggestion is that the constructors and their workforce stop building NOW and get together with the Council and concentrate their efforts on a proper infrastructure which will be adequate to cope with the increase in population.

PS I understand it is estimated that 8000 houses are illegal in Chiclana and this from such a small area should be a concern to everyone living here.

Thanks Mitzipurr, that is very interesting. We have a place in La Barrosa and my husband wants us to move out butI will make sure it is an older building from what I have read, luckily I love DIY !

The only time I think a septic tank is OK is when it is on land lower than your borehole but then you end up with an overflowing tank from excess water from rain. They are hard things to look after really and are OK for holiday homes but not really for permanent homes. The tanks with reed beds for filtration are good but probably wouldn't work in a hot climate.

Cheers for the info

Zoë

www.costa-luz-holiday.com - 350+ holiday rentals direct from owner and tourist information on each resort.
Old May 12th 2005, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
Thanks Mitzipurr, that is very interesting. We have a place in La Barrosa and my husband wants us to move out butI will make sure it is an older building from what I have read, luckily I love DIY !

The only time I think a septic tank is OK is when it is on land lower than your borehole but then you end up with an overflowing tank from excess water from rain. They are hard things to look after really and are OK for holiday homes but not really for permanent homes. The tanks with reed beds for filtration are good but probably wouldn't work in a hot climate.

Cheers for the info

Zoë

www.costa-luz-holiday.com - 350+ holiday rentals direct from owner
and tourist information on each resort.

Hi Zoe

What you say about septic tanks is bang on. With more and more houses being built in Chiclana without proper drains the problem and contamination will only get worse and the result will be the by product of the human race polluting the underground wells. My well water definitely smelt of sewage the other week!! It really makes you quite ill to think about it :scared:

Ps I have pmd you.
Old May 13th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just to join this discussion. We are in Pago de Humo and in our road are six newish houses and one old house on our side of the road. None of us have had any problems with our septic tanks or wells. With the new houses they are "soak away" type and are not emptied. Two of us are permanent residents, ourselves for a year and our neighbours for more than two years. In fact they have a permanent round of visitors throughout the year so if anyone was going to have a problem it would be them!!!

With regard to the well water we have constant supply and it definitely does not smell. I personally do not like the taste as it seems to have a metallic taste so we use bottled water for drinking but cook with it and have had no stomach upsets at all. Our friends who have been here two years drink the water filtered and again have no problems.

I understand the problem with water is worse in Marquesado and last year they had to have water brought in by lorry. I think it depends whether you are on a water plain or not.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glynis
Just to join this discussion. We are in Pago de Humo and in our road are six newish houses and one old house on our side of the road. None of us have had any problems with our septic tanks or wells. With the new houses they are "soak away" type and are not emptied. Two of us are permanent residents, ourselves for a year and our neighbours for more than two years. In fact they have a permanent round of visitors throughout the year so if anyone was going to have a problem it would be them!!!

With regard to the well water we have constant supply and it definitely does not smell. I personally do not like the taste as it seems to have a metallic taste so we use bottled water for drinking but cook with it and have had no stomach upsets at all. Our friends who have been here two years drink the water filtered and again have no problems.

I understand the problem with water is worse in Marquesado and last year they had to have water brought in by lorry. I think it depends whether you are on a water plain or not.

Hi to all check this link for interesting article on waterhttp://www.ac-grenoble.fr/yre/agency/events/award03/awardwater03.htm

Scarey even if it was not Friday the 13th :scared:
Old May 15th 2005, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi to all check this link for interesting article on waterhttp://www.ac-grenoble.fr/yre/agency/events/award03/awardwater03.htm

Scarey even if it was not Friday the 13th :scared:
HHmmm it is rather scary isn't it. I used to work for a water company and they wouldn't spend all the money they do on clarifying water/dealing with sewage etc if they could just take it out of a well/the water table and distribute it.

I am glad you are not having problems in Pago but wells and septic tanks (in my opinion) are not a long term solution to an area that is becoming more populated. These are fine if you are in a very rural area with no neighbours for miles or only use your property for holidays. I would never recommend drinking water from wells in the long term, as the above report said you do not just have to worry about septic tanks, it is the farming of the land around the area that also has an influence on the water quality. It has even been shown that even drugs given to live stock show in water quality tests e.g. when they wee the drugs are still present and work their way into the water system. Septic tanks also need maintenance and you have to trust all of your neighbours too look after their tanks so they do not feed into the water table.

Hopefully in a few years time enough pressure will be put on the companies to supply sewerage pipes and water supplies.

You should really ask the question, if septic tanks and wells/bore hole water is fine for populated areas why on earth would a water/sewerage system have been set up in the first place?
Old May 15th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Locals have been using their wells and septic tanks for years with no ill effects! However saying that I just do not like the taste of the water so prefer the bottled variety.

I have just heard that there was a report in the Diario de Cadiz about six weeks ago that there has just been a load of money allocated to instal mains water and sewerage into Pago de Humo and one other area which my source couldn't remember. How long this will take is anybody's guess.
Old May 15th 2005, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by glynis
Locals have been using their wells and septic tanks for years with no ill effects! However saying that I just do not like the taste of the water so prefer the bottled variety.

I have just heard that there was a report in the Diario de Cadiz about six weeks ago that there has just been a load of money allocated to instal mains water and sewerage into Pago de Humo and one other area which my source couldn't remember. How long this will take is anybody's guess.
My parents have a place in Mallorca with a septic tank but use rainwater for washing etc and a generator & solar for electricity. There is no way their property could ever be on the mains as it is miles away from the connections which is fine as it works well for short term visits or for a couple.

I am not saying people don't use these things but not usually in a built up area as it causes problems. I do not mean to offend but am just putting my view across.

Really glad to hear there is a budget put by for installing the infrastucture and good luck with it all. Once the Spanish start a project out there it is amazing how fast they work.

I really love that area of Spain, it is like a home from home and the locals are all so lovely. You are lucky to live there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.