Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Latest Brexit talks: EU Document release

Latest Brexit talks: EU Document release

Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest Brexit talks: EU Document release

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...hird_round.pdf

The above refers to the outcome of the latest round of Brexit talks. Lots of areas specifically in relation to Residency / Healthcare / EHIC etc.

Areas marked GREEN are agreed, areas marked YELLOW require further clarification for either party and RED areas (you guessed it) NO agreement as yet.

Interesting read, still can't see anything definitive regarding Residents in Spain who are NOT yet Pensioners and their future healthcare arrangements when they ARE.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Latest Brexit talks: EU Document release

That's great Lurchio. I think!!!. I have read the document on your link. Unfortunately I don't speak politician or legalese. I still really don't have a clue what that means for pensioners coming to live in Spain late next year particularly if they have not been able to get their residency through.

Perhaps you could explain it to me and those like me who don't understand it. I surely can't be the only one----can I?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the answer to that is no one knows yet. I think so far it seems if you are currently resident or resident before ? and registered for S1 you will continue the same after Brexit. Those either resident but not on S1 at Brexit or pension age after Brexit? No one has made that clear as yet which is a concern.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think the answer to that is no one knows yet. I think so far it seems if you are currently resident or resident before ? and registered for S1 you will continue the same after Brexit. Those either resident but not on S1 at Brexit or pension age after Brexit? No one has made that clear as yet which is a concern.
Bob, I think you are right. In all the unknowns I think the known is that if you are currently resident, have health cover as a Pensioner under an S1 and will be so on exit then it will continue. The mighty confusion being spread by the press is that they confuse EHIC cover with full Healthcare cover, and proclaim the day is saved. Load of cobblers as you know, EHIC is emergency only, not suitable for residency and really only basic cover for hols and visits etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio
Bob, I think you are right. In all the unknowns I think the known is that if you are currently resident, have health cover as a Pensioner under an S1 and will be so on exit then it will continue. The mighty confusion being spread by the press is that they confuse EHIC cover with full Healthcare cover, and proclaim the day is saved. Load of cobblers as you know, EHIC is emergency only, not suitable for residency and really only basic cover for hols and visits etc.
Not had chance to read all the link yet Lurchio but I totally agree with you. Of course keeping EHIC will suit those that voted Brexit but will want their summer holidays in the sun, Davis won't wish to alienate them will he. Other thing for likes of me and you (I know paying tax doesn't give health care in UK only residency) we must even when living in Europe pay UK tax on our pension for what? If they stop the S1 for us we will pay tax for?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funny enough I saw on Facebook the other day yougov is running some sort of survey on EHIC and European healthcare? I responded but it just asked some basic questions to see if you were suitable to take the survey. I doubt I will as they asked if you had received medical care in Europe, it also asked did you hold EHIC , travel insurance and life insurance. But there is a reason they are doing this
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, its right up there with Cameron / Hunts grand plan a little while ago to grant access to the UK NHS unconditionally to any Ex Pat who had made a fair contribution (10 years was mooted) to Nat Insurance during their working life. Snuck that one away PDQ after the Govt bean counters did their work. Just allowed to 'go away'. As I have said before, the LAST thing I would want is to return to blighty to witness the carnage, so waiting to see but expecting no favours. Take it as it comes, being grateful for the chance to avoid the current 'press gang' effect of HM Govt as regards ex pats, how dare we have the cojones to live abroad.... We should be made to suffer.Bo***cks.

Last edited by lurchio; Sep 2nd 2017 at 12:38 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:33 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, we're all "citizens of nowhere".
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amideislas
Apparently, we're all "citizens of nowhere".
ANYWHERE but the Sceptered isle will do me! Seriously,its hilarious and sad at the same time. The Govt are actually SURPRISED that things are not going smoothly for them, what did they expect? No, wait a minute, they expected everything their way, what you going to do now then Guys and Gals? Deluded......
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ANYWHERE but the Sceptered isle will do me! Seriously,its hilarious and sad at the same time. The Govt are actually SURPRISED that things are not going smoothly for them, what did they expect? No, wait a minute, they expected everything their way, what you going to do now then Guys and Gals? Deluded......
About sums it up sadly
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Given today's leaked government document, it is not looking good. People seem to have a hard time understanding that restrictions on EU citizens will mean restrictions on themselves. The BBC are saying 'British jobs for British workers'. Now that is really deluded.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yet another example of the back of a fag packet method of negotiating.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:26 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
People seem to have a hard time understanding that restrictions on EU citizens will mean restrictions on themselves..
Quite, and the reason why those thinking they'll jump the gun by taking early retirement and moving to Spain now should tread very carefully.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's true but you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, my theory is better to have residency pre March 2019 as it may get very difficult after ? But who knows it's all a bit of a gamble and one just has to do what they think is right.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:58 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Bob.

But I suspect that regardless of what happens, Brits already legally resident in the EU who pay taxes (and especially property owners), will likely continue to be welcomed. Why not? It's not nearly as xenophobic on this side of the channel. And there's nothing to be gained from "kicking out the brits".

The main consideration will be healthcare. You'll probably just have to pay for it like everybody else does. But decent insurance isn't outrageously expensive at all. And while I can't speak for all of Spain, the healthcare system around here is surprisingly good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.