las facturas

Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default las facturas

I suspect my landlord is overcharging me on my bills for gas, electricity & water. They take a reading each month & then produce a bill which we pay through the bank. Our first payment has gone out & is about twice what we expected (having lived here over 2 years we have a good idea of what we have paid in the past)

I can probably find an old electricity and water bill to work out unit charges, but haven't had mains gas before so have no idea what that would be a 'unit'

can anyone help me with unit charges for all three from the usual companies, please?

and if they are indeed charging me more than the companies are charging them, are they legally allowed to do that?

the 'agent' is coming round tomorrow with 'las facturas' so if I can get some idea before then it would be great

TIA
Old Feb 17th 2006, 8:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: las facturas

PLEASE please please, someone must have some bills somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

sh**!!!

just found out they charge 40c a kw/h for electricity, Iberdrola charge just over 8c!!!!!!!!!

is this legal????
even if I've agreed to it

stupid me didn't see that bit on the contract!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Our electricity bills so far with Iberdrola are between 16 euros and 22 euros per 2 months......sounds great, but we don't live there permanently yet. Those bills are paid directly from the bank account

Mary
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Hi, just got my latest electricty bill so here´s the unit charges:

Standing charge (for 5.5 kw contract) - 152 cent kw month

Consumption - 8.6 cent kwh

On top of this are small charges for the elec tax and counter rental plus IVA

Loooking at my bill of 80 euros for two months about 56 euros is consumption and the rest standing charges and taxes.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
Hi, just got my latest electricty bill so here´s the unit charges:

Standing charge (for 5.5 kw contract) - 152 cent kw month

Consumption - 8.6 cent kwh

On top of this are small charges for the elec tax and counter rental plus IVA

Loooking at my bill of 80 euros for two months about 56 euros is consumption and the rest standing charges and taxes.

thanks for your reply

now I have to find out if the 40c per kw/h they are charging me is legal
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
now I have to find out if the 40c per kw/h they are charging me is legal
Well I suspect it is, but the law governing landlords and tenants is quite complicated. It's called "Ley de arrendamientos urbanos" and can be read, in Spanish, here http://civil.udg.es/normacivil/estatal/contract/lau.htm

I imagine that you signed a rental/lease contract whereby the consumption of utility services are "cantidades asimiladas a la renta" .. effectively "amounts added to the rent". Thus the real rent is the base charge plus these added amounts at whatever rate is agreed and signed for in your contract.

You might have insisted on a contract whereby you would have paid for the utilities yourself, however I suspect that your base rent would then have been higher.

Many landlords will also want to ensure that the utility services are kept in their own name (there are strong legal reasons why this is wise) and the type of contract that you signed is the only way they have of enforcing any outstanding amounts you rack up diretcly back to you.

My advice would be to get a lawyer to interpret the applicable law in this instance, as it is far from simple. Did you get a lawyer to check the original rental contract and explain the pros and cons of it to you?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Or, on reflection, you could always try talking to the landlord first and seeing if you can reach an alternative you both agree on.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Or, on reflection, you could always try talking to the landlord first and seeing if you can reach an alternative you both agree on.

thanks unexpat

the contract states that we will pay so much per unit on monthly readings

the gas & water are about what the main suppliers charge when you take into account standing charges & so on, it's just the electricity that is so very much more than the normal charge, and seemingly the owners are making a considerable profit from it!

Surely they would have to legally be a 'supplier' in order to charge us without a real bill. In other palces we have rented we have simply paid the bills as and when the owner gave us copies, so they were always paid, yet the owner certainly didn't make an extra profit from them!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnxa
thanks unexpat

the contract states that we will pay so much per unit on monthly readings

the gas & water are about what the main suppliers charge when you take into account standing charges & so on, it's just the electricity that is so very much more than the normal charge, and seemingly the owners are making a considerable profit from it!

Surely they would have to legally be a 'supplier' in order to charge us without a real bill. In other palces we have rented we have simply paid the bills as and when the owner gave us copies, so they were always paid, yet the owner certainly didn't make an extra profit from them!
In a word no - from what I could tell reading the appropriate legislation, but I am not a solicitor. Talk to the landlord and tell him you think the charges are excessive. You may be surprised and get some give. Also, ask yourself, is the renatl you're paying less, more, the same as other comparable or previous properties?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:53 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Unexpat
In a word no - from what I could tell reading the appropriate legislation, but I am not a solicitor. Talk to the landlord and tell him you think the charges are excessive. You may be surprised and get some give. Also, ask yourself, is the renatl you're paying less, more, the same as other comparable or previous properties?

rent is comparable

looks like a trip to the abogado is in order...........................just to find out where we stand!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

Many town halls have Consumer advice departments available for free advice and consultation. I would start there rather than the abogado. I have friends who have used these free services to good effect. It would be interesting to hear how you get on.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by meseta
Many town halls have Consumer advice departments available for free advice and consultation. I would start there rather than the abogado. I have friends who have used these free services to good effect. It would be interesting to hear how you get on.

thank you, hadn't thought of that