Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Large Flying Insect

Large Flying Insect

Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large Flying Insect

Originally Posted by silverchick
Think I've just had a rethink on a move to Spain!!!
Scaredy-Cat
Tim
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:53 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Scaredy-Cat
Tim
yup!!!!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Praying Mantis are great no problem at all and they eat lots of the nasties. It sounds more like one of the enormous cricket/locust type beasties, they are very large and ugly.
This could be about right. A friend told us she knew exactly what it is when my wife explained about the cartoon face thing. She says she gets them in her garden all the time. She did not tell me that before we went to her BBQ the other week
I wouldn't fancy crunching on that thing
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
yup!!!!
So how are you with snakes, lizards, tree rats and huge toads then?
Tim
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:54 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a Saltamontes to me. Kinda like a giant grasshopper. See the picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails Large Flying Insect-saltamontes.png  
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:27 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We have loads in our garden - and they a HUGE Also seem to shed their skin as we saw some lying on the ground nearby as we were watching them walking up the wall to our bedroom window (I promptly shut the window) Some were green and others brown. They don't bother us but I wouldn't like one to fly at me.

They make a crunching sound as the cats chew them
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:18 am
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

They seem to enjoy bouncing off walls or you if you happen to get in the way, they also like to munch through all your plants.
I caught this one eating my flowers, he at least had the grace to look guilty.

Yvonne
Attached Thumbnails Large Flying Insect-jimmy2.jpg  
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:59 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by valenciatim
So how are you with snakes, lizards, tree rats and huge toads then?
Tim
Not too bad with little furry things, not good with slimy toads (met a few of those in my time!) tree rats are quite cute aren't they??
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

Probably a grasshopper. They grow up to 3 inches long here and its like seeing a flying stick when they take off. Grasshoppers down here grow up about 5 inches long and put the fear of god uop me until I realise what they are.
To see a Praying Mantis in flight would be a rare occurence leave alone be privvy to an actual landing!!!
I am referring to the Costa del Sol area.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:08 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a praying mantis the other day, it was a big one and when you put somthing near its face it attacks it.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
I saw a praying mantis the other day, it was a big one and when you put somthing near its face it attacks it.
I have to ask mate..................what did you put near its face?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Tim
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Seen some rather large dragon flies out today. A rather large one with a funky looking face landed on my washing line. At least I think it was a Dragon Fly, their heads seem a lot bigger than the ones in the UK . Rest of the body looks like it though. Only started seeing them the past few days.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

I'll try to get some pictures.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Comic timing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.