Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Large Flying Insect

Large Flying Insect

Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road
Default Large Flying Insect

I was wondering does anyone know anything about insects in Spain. My wife was sitting on the terrace yesterday and a huge green insect flew into her hitting her on the head.It was about 4 inches long, green and had a funny looking face. It had a large wing span about 5 inches. I think it stunned itself when it hit her and it lay still for a while on its back and then righted itself and flew off.
You all probably heard the screams where ever you live.
It was an ugly looking thing, she took a photo but it is a bit blurred, has anyone ever seen anything like that before?
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Large Flying Insect

sounds like a dragon fly? (without knowing much about Spanish insects)
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SoJohn View Post
sounds like a dragon fly? (without knowing much about Spanish insects)
No definitely not a Dragon Fly. We looked them up on the internet as that is what I thought, but Dragon Flies could even be called attractive, this was a huge ugly B***er.
I looked up locust but it wasn't one of them either
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Dunno, I often see some weird things here. I was laid by a lake a week ago and this HUGE black flying insect landed on a girl near me. I would say it looked the size of 5 bees.

Something to get used to I guess
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:45 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pwblackbelt View Post
I was wondering does anyone know anything about insects in Spain. My wife was sitting on the terrace yesterday and a huge green insect flew into her hitting her on the head.It was about 4 inches long, green and had a funny looking face. It had a large wing span about 5 inches. I think it stunned itself when it hit her and it lay still for a while on its back and then righted itself and flew off.You all probably heard the screams where ever you live.
It was an ugly looking thing, she took a photo but it is a bit blurred, has anyone ever seen anything like that before?

That was the right time to squish it
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:54 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a link to a site in the not-free beer bit.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky View Post
That was the right time to squish it
You would need a huge steel toe capped boot to squish this thing. And I only had my flip flops on so I wasn't squishing it, it may have bitten my foot off
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:55 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

You would need a huge steel toe capped boot to squish this thing. And I only had my flip flops on so I wasn't squishing it, it may have bitten my foot off
YUK....its making me cringe
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky View Post
YUK....its making me cringe
Yeah I know, the screams gave me an earache, so I went to the pub to watch Newcastle beat West Ham 3 - 1 yahoo.
She didn't want to sit on the terrace to eat her breakfast after that!!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I know, the screams gave me an earache, so I went to the pub to watch Newcastle beat West Ham 3 - 1 yahoo.
She didn't want to sit on the terrace to eat her breakfast after that!!
That is after getting hit on the head by the insect not after Newcastle beat West Ham
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Could it have been a Praying Mantis? We have loads of them up here!
http://www.antigravitas.com/uploaded...s_2-794206.jpg

Regards
Tim
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim View Post

Regards
Tim
You beat me to it, Tim!

That was my thought, as we have quite a lot of them here.
Nice picture
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Regards
Tim
I reckon it could have been something like that but my wife is not convinced. She reckoned it's head was much bigger. She reckons it had a proper face like a cartoon version like that film "Antz"??????
It's head was much bigger than the rest of it's body though. This is the closest thing so far. Do you get different types of Praying Mantis?
Old Sep 24th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Praying Mantis are great no problem at all and they eat lots of the nasties. It sounds more like one of the enormous cricket/locust type beasties, they are very large and ugly.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:23 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Regards
Tim
Think I've just had a rethink on a move to Spain!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.