Large Crickets

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:08 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: Large Crickets

I've never been sure if the things we get in the garden are crickets or grasshoppers or something else again but I do know they munch their way through lots of my plants and have a habit of flying straight at me.
Attached Thumbnails Large Crickets-crickets.jpg  

Last edited by YMF; Apr 23rd 2011 at 6:53 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

UGH thats the nasty wee blighters
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:22 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
There is no one here to ask, UGH
You can ask me TCW, fruit trees are kind of my speciality... well apple trees really because of the joy they give me...
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
I've never been sure if the things we get in the garden are crickets or grasshoppers or something else again but I do know they munch their way through lots of my plants and have a habit of flying straight at me.

Attachment 99982
That's the big ones all right. Typical grasshopper body type.

Watch for the same body type, but smaller and green. They do real damage.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:48 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

There is no one here to ask, I had a good crop of peaches last year not looking so good this year. Same with my fig but not looked at it to see how it is doing. The plum was poorly looking last year good fruit but less of. Now no green when scrap the bark. As far as I know they have never been treated with anything. I squash the beasties UGH
I used to have a peach tree which grew to a hell of a size in absolutely no time at all.
Problem was, it was for ever attracting all manner of evil insects and creepy crawlies.
My Spanish neighbour advised me to get rid, which I did, for the sake of the rest of the garden.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF

Attachment 99982
To me,they look near enough like a locust.
Anyone know the difference ?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:05 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost a peach, apricot and pear tree in the last couple of years, but I don't know why, the rest of the garden is thriving.

Locusts, or whatever they are, I get hundreds of them, but I did notice only in the last few days that I've got a really loud one in an orange tree, three or four times as loud as the usual ones. I haven't seen it, or them, yet.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:14 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by HBG
I've lost a peach, apricot and pear tree in the last couple of years, but I don't know why, the rest of the garden is thriving.

Locusts, or whatever they are, I get hundreds of them, but I did notice only in the last few days that I've got a really loud one in an orange tree, three or four times as loud as the usual ones. I haven't seen it, or them, yet.
I think the sweeter the fruit the more insects it attracts.

I've often gone out on a night to try and spot a particularly noisy one, yet even though I can almost pinpoint where the sound is coming from, it's very rare I can actually spot them, they blend in so well.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that not the cicadas that you hear ?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looking at images on Google they are all looking the same but the names are all the same too
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:20 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Is that not the cicadas that you hear ?
If it's in the trees, probably cicadas, if on the ground, what they call here onion crickets, but I suspect they are mole crickets.

They create tunnels with a shaped opening that acts like a speaking trumpet to amplify the sound.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:09 am
On the road again.

I looked on a couple of websites.
It seems cicadas are only active night-time.
Locusts/Grasshoppers which are virtully the same, only active daytime.

They are both capable of a fair bit of damage, though both in different ways.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:16 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Why not turn adversity into opportunity?
Attached Thumbnails Large Crickets-436px-skewered_locusts.jpg  
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:28 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Why not turn adversity into opportunity?
Yes,well they are quite a delicacy in some parts of the World, my dog and previously my cats seenmed to think so to, as they crunched them up before getting them down their necks.

Must confess I've never yet tried them on the barbie.
Something to look forward to perhaps.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You can ask me TCW, fruit trees are kind of my speciality... well apple trees really because of the joy they give me...
I did mean here as in where I live, although the viveros is very good just my spanish is not.

The peach was planted and started to be trained as fan shape on a wall. It is not out of hand but I must do something about pruning it after this years fruit. The fig the same and it is taking off a bit too much, will need work also after the figs are gone.

I know some folks think Spain is not civilised but I am and have no need nor want to eat the little beasties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.