Large Crickets

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about
Default Large Crickets

Last week both my wife and I were hit by very large crickets( about 6 inches long without outstretched legs). I fished one out of the pool which was about the size of my palm. I've never seen them this size before. Have I just been leading a sheltered life or are these new. Can someone enlighten me?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large Crickets

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
Last week both my wife and I were hit by very large crickets( about 6 inches long without outstretched legs). I fished one out of the pool which was about the size of my palm. I've never seen them this size before. Have I just been leading a sheltered life or are these new. Can someone enlighten me?
Technical point. Do you really mean crickets, or big grasshopper/locust types?

The latter are quite common, but really big crickets are less common.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Technical point. Do you really mean crickets, or big grasshopper/locust types?

The latter are quite common, but really big crickets are less common.
Unfortunatly we get rather a lot of those here, they are very partial to my very large and beautiful passion flower plant!

In answer to the OP question....yes that size sounds about right!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

Yes now you mention it I guess it is more like a locust. I just didn't think of locusts in the context of Spain but I guess that was me not being on the ball.

[IMG]ile:///C:/Program Files/Canon/ZoomBrowser EX/Image Library One/2011_04_23/100-0012_IMG.JPG[/IMG]
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
Yes now you mention it I guess it is more like a locust. I just didn't think of locusts in the context of Spain but I guess that was me not being on the ball.

ile:///C:/Program Files/Canon/ZoomBr...0-0012_IMG.JPG
You can't share images from your own computer. You have to upload them!
We get just the odd one of these huge locust type things. Must admit I always thought of them as big crickets too. I thought locusts were just crickets that had started to swarm from being too close together. I blame my husband for telling me that! I'm sure someone her knows the real answer. But there do seem to be a few more around this spring. Well. we've had fire flood and famine (well, financial crisis anyway) Maybe it's another biblical plague in the offing . We're all doomed!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Damned things I now kill them all, they have made a right mess of my peach, avocado and fig

Sorry your photo link does not work, I cannot remember how to do it
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:08 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

There are two body plans. The locust/grasshopper one is where the body seems more flattened laterally, and the crickets look more flattened vertically, if that makes sense. The smaller grey crickets are the house crickets, and very hard to eradicate once they get established. The shiny black ones are the field crickets. There are green crickets here but I see very few of those.

There's also the odd mole cricket, but you will be very lucky to see one of those.

The grasshopper types mostly are the small grey/brown ones, the big grey/brown onle that look to be the size of locusts, and the green grasshopper. Those are apparantly the ones that do the most damage, according to my neighbour.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:10 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Damned things I now kill them all, they have made a right mess of my peach, avocado and fig
Are you sure? I have never seen any of those here with leaves eaten by them, but I have seen the fruit massacred by beetles.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Big browny grey coloured ones and the bright green ones always on the plants. Last year I was told to get rid of them all as they damage the plants. Some have leaves eaten others have red leaf curl. My plum is dead.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:03 pm
bil
Banned

Big browny grey coloured ones and the bright green ones always on the plants. Last year I was told to get rid of them all as they damage the plants. Some have leaves eaten others have red leaf curl. My plum is dead.
One should always listen to people who have been gardening there for a long time, but do remember that sometimes they talk the purest garbage.

Red leaf curl. Matt is the boy for all this, but I am certain that whatever causes it, it isn't grasshoppers or crickets. Take the trouble to detect what it is that really is eating the leaves.

When people tell me to 'get rid of them all' I usually worry, as it is seldom 'all' that are to blame, and it's a shame to go around killing everything. If only because, a) you may not get the right pest, b) you may waste chems and money and c) the indiscriminate killing of 'bugs' can result in you killing the predatory ones, which will result in the problem ones going out of control.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:14 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Interesting.

The grasshopper types mostly are the small grey/brown ones, the big grey/brown onle that look to be the size of locusts, and the green grasshopper. Those are apparantly the ones that do the most damage, according to my neighbour.

I would have thought that the big grey/brown ones were locusts,though most ppl.say not.
I wonder what's the difference ?
Presume they belong to the same family ?

My mut just caught a one and ate it,..very cruchy.
He seems to have taken over the job from the cats.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Some have leaves eaten others have red leaf curl. My plum is dead.
Spray them with copper oxychloride just make sure that you do it well before or well after they have flowered and they will be fine. They tend to shed all their diseased leaves and put new growth on, this can put them under a hell of a lot of stress so give them a VERY heavy dose of nitrogen rich feed then get some seaweed extract into them, they will eventually make a good recovery.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
One should always listen to people who have been gardening there for a long time, but do remember that sometimes they talk the purest garbage.

Red leaf curl. Matt is the boy for all this, but I am certain that whatever causes it, it isn't grasshoppers or crickets. Take the trouble to detect what it is that really is eating the leaves.

When people tell me to 'get rid of them all' I usually worry, as it is seldom 'all' that are to blame, and it's a shame to go around killing everything. If only because, a) you may not get the right pest, b) you may waste chems and money and c) the indiscriminate killing of 'bugs' can result in you killing the predatory ones, which will result in the problem ones going out of control.
There is no one here to ask, I had a good crop of peaches last year not looking so good this year. Same with my fig but not looked at it to see how it is doing. The plum was poorly looking last year good fruit but less of. Now no green when scrap the bark. As far as I know they have never been treated with anything. I squash the beasties UGH
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I added a photo of one of the brown beasties to my gallery on here cant remember how to add to post sorry
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Spray them with copper oxychloride just make sure that you do it well before or well after they have flowered and they will be fine. They tend to shed all their diseased leaves and put new growth on, this can put them under a hell of a lot of stress so give them a VERY heavy dose of nitrogen rich feed then get some seaweed extract into them, they will eventually make a good recovery.
I will get a photo of a leaf when the rain stops ! and post it to my gallery. I will also look for the items you mention. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.