Laptops

Old May 2nd 2011, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptops

If you buy at Worton in Spain they will change the language to English for you for 40€.
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Buy any computer in any language & use one of these discs to change it to Englaish language. Once you've done that, charge anybody else that asks €80 to change their computer into English. Afterall that's all the majority of so called pc engineers do.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINDOWS-RESTOR...item3a656a90df
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the keyboard?

The Spanish keyboard is quite different to UK keyboard. Not just the letter ñ but a lot of the special characters are in a different place.

Look at the keyboard before you buy. Are you happy with how you have to type in @ or / or : and ;?
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Buying in the UK may give warranty problems.
Certainly could, I only suggested the UK suppliers after he said "as a last resort", and rather wait for family to bring it out, the suppliers would have it there in a few days.
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:37 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
Buy any computer in any language & use one of these discs to change it to Englaish language. Once you've done that, charge anybody else that asks €80 to change their computer into English. Afterall that's all the majority of so called pc engineers do.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINDOWS-RESTOR...item3a656a90df
So have you actually used it to change from Spanish to English?

There is nothing in their advert that suggests it can change the language.

There are only two ways that I am aware of to change the language.

The first is to reinstall Windows from an English language version.

The second is to download a multi language interface pack, free, from Microsoft. This will allow you to change the language - in fact you can have multiple language versions running at the same time - useful for multi lingual families.

I have both English and Spanish running on my PC. Unfortunately it only works if you have the Ultimate version of Vista or W7.

However there is a free program available (it's the one JDR referred to) which tweaks the ordinary versions of Windows to allow them to install the language packs.

You will find it at http://www.froggie.sk/

I haven't used it but many have. It's not a monster program - just a very clever registry hack.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex-pat
Where do I find laptops in Spain with English as user language?
If you use the Linux operating system instead of Microsoft then the language is easily changed and of course it's free.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

This does not resolve any problems with the keyboard.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a very similar question before Xmas.... this:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694040
is the link (I hope!)
Not saying you'll get any more of a definitive answer, but it might help...
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:48 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you use the Linux operating system instead of Microsoft then the language is easily changed and of course it's free.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

This does not resolve any problems with the keyboard.

I suggested this in post 4. We have a PC for guests and have it set up so that a person can log on in one of several languages. One day Windows will catch up with this idea.
Another advantage is hardly any viruses/malware.
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
So have you actually used it to change from Spanish to English?

There is nothing in their advert that suggests it can change the language.

There are only two ways that I am aware of to change the language.

The first is to reinstall Windows from an English language version.

The second is to download a multi language interface pack, free, from Microsoft. This will allow you to change the language - in fact you can have multiple language versions running at the same time - useful for multi lingual families.

I have both English and Spanish running on my PC. Unfortunately it only works if you have the Ultimate version of Vista or W7.

However there is a free program available (it's the one JDR referred to) which tweaks the ordinary versions of Windows to allow them to install the language packs.

You will find it at http://www.froggie.sk/

I haven't used it but many have. It's not a monster program - just a very clever registry hack.
Yep that is the one Fred, I used it and it changed everything to English, although windows updates would not load up auto.
It`s more fun in Spanish though, so changed it back.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Yep that is the one Fred, I used it and it changed everything to English, although windows updates would not load up auto.
It`s more fun in Spanish though, so changed it back.
If you want to stop your guests using your PC it can be fun to change it to Arabic
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can buy one in Gibralta which'll be UK keyboard. Depending where you are may be an option.
Old May 2nd 2011, 3:47 pm

michael123 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a company called Pixmania (European wide web sites) with shops in Madrid and Barcelona, that sells UK laptops

Here's a link to the page about their UK laptops They also do Mac's in English. I can recommend them as I got my Sony VAIO there Oh and they are quite cheap :-)

http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/19343/...criteresn.html

Last edited by michael123; May 2nd 2011 at 3:48 pm. Reason: Typo of course :-)
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by michael123
There is a company called Pixmania (European wide web sites) with shops in Madrid and Barcelona, that sells UK laptops

Here's a link to the page about their UK laptops They also do Mac's in English. I can recommend them as I got my Sony VAIO there Oh and they are quite cheap :-)

http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/19343/...criteresn.html
They are owned by Dixons - hardly a good recommendation!

They have a very bad reputation for customer service. I would hate to have to use them for any warranty support.
Old May 2nd 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
What about the keyboard?

The Spanish keyboard is quite different to UK keyboard. Not just the letter ñ but a lot of the special characters are in a different place.

Look at the keyboard before you buy. Are you happy with how you have to type in @ or / or : and ;?
I bought my English keyboard from Amazon UK, I couldn't get along with the Spanish one when touch typing!
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
What about the keyboard?

Originally Posted by megmet
I bought my English keyboard from Amazon UK, I couldn't get along with the Spanish one when touch typing!
Don`t make a lot of difference to two finger typists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.