Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Originally Posted by jdr
Public liability in the UK, as you said it was optional.

It is optional in the UK but you would be mad not to have it!!

You my need it to work for certain companies as self employed but if for example you have a retail outlet its not a legal requirement unlike employers insurance , with this you are supposed to keep the insurance details for upto 40 years in case a former employee decides to make a claim!!!!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:23 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Re: Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Originally Posted by licinius
It's nothing to do with the brand, it's to do with people using their laptop while it's still plugged in & yanking the power lead around. Just unplug it & run it on battery power when you use it, that's what the battery is for.
I would agree. I had a top-range Sony Vaio for work and the same thing happend as i was constantly lugging it around the country, using it in cyber-cafes / airports / hotels and generally misused it. The 'local' repairer said it was common on many makes / models to break the solder point. He also made it clear to me that repairs / re-soldering power sockets was risky due to heat damage to nearby components. He would not guarantee a repair, said it was 50/50 and up to me to take the risk. If I did it would be about £40 whether it worked or not !... at least he put me in the picture.... we tried it and it failed.

As it was out of warranty, Sony Repair wanted £90 just to look at it and said it would probably be a new motherboard - it wasn't viable as the machine was 3 years old and slow... and prices had plummetted since.

There are some awesome deals in the UK right now - a real price war. I alwys think Spain are expensive on known brands.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

JustinTime is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
Wrong ,in the UK you only need employers liability insurance , puplic liability etc is optional.
If you cant afford to replace a laptop you should not be in business!!
In my case no PI no contract. If the people subcontracting me require it then I have to have it. I would say it started cropping up in contracts for me only about 4 years ago.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustinTime
In my case no PI no contract. If the people subcontracting me require it then I have to have it. I would say it started cropping up in contracts for me only about 4 years ago.
Then its a contractual requirement not a legal one.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i wont offer to do it justin, you have the same resources as me at this point, its just the taking apart and putting back together that might be a bind -

the jack is very cheap, a "micro" soldering iron only about 15€.
You can find out how to take most laptops to bits on the Web by googling.

If you have never soldered before you can screw the whole laptop in seconds.

Jim
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Checkala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really nice

Some quick advice. Firstly was the company a legally registered affair? Secondly does it look as if there is any value (assets) to claim against? If yes to both then (i) go to OMIC - there's one in most towns Oficina Municipal de Información Consumidor - they will help you make a complaint - take a Spanish speaker - all the ones I have been to, I think, don't speak English. This is then processed with the concern to see if they are willing to make an amicable settlement - about two months. Now if no luck (ii) you can initiate a Monitorio procedure at the local court (small claims procedure) in your nearest provincial town (not the Juzgado de la Paz in your local town). You need to get the papers from the court's general office and then get a Spanish speaker to help you fill them in. The process could take up to two years but there is no cost as you don't have to use a lawyer or procurator. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by JustinTime
About two months ago we took our daughters laptop into a local computer repair shop to have a fault with the power inlet fixed. The repair was unsuccessful and the laptop now needs a new mother board.
During the two months we didn’t receive any communication at all and had to chase. Each time I contacted them they were on the back foot and didn’t sound on top of it.
So the computer did have power sometimes and now it doesn’t have any power at all. I can invest 100 euro’s for another board however it turns out that they don’t have business insurance so if they break it further all they will offer is an apology!
I checked the machine on its return and the socket isn’t even aligned with the case. .
I am not going to broadcast the name of the shop but if you know someone that might be able to save this machine from the dustbin or you have a laptop for sale let me know!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Checkala
Some quick advice. Firstly was the company a legally registered affair? Secondly does it look as if there is any value (assets) to claim against? If yes to both then (i) go to OMIC - there's one in most towns Oficina Municipal de Información Consumidor - they will help you make a complaint - take a Spanish speaker - all the ones I have been to, I think, don't speak English. This is then processed with the concern to see if they are willing to make an amicable settlement - about two months. Now if no luck (ii) you can initiate a Monitorio procedure at the local court (small claims procedure) in your nearest provincial town (not the Juzgado de la Paz in your local town). You need to get the papers from the court's general office and then get a Spanish speaker to help you fill them in. The process could take up to two years but there is no cost as you don't have to use a lawyer or procurator. Hope that helps!
Checkala, hi ... you might want to check the thread dates before bringing them up again :-)
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;8867865]
Originally Posted by Rotor

It was actually very good advice, mainly about what documents you need to present to get finance from the banks, how to keep accounts, how to file your income online to the tax office each quarter, how to apply for grants, how to go about hiring people etc

It was very very helpful and is the reason why my OH doesnt need to pay for a gestor or accountant and got a grant to help contribute towards social security contributions
Can you do this all over Spain or only Barcelona?
How do you do it? Info greatly appreciated if it will save my quarterly gestor bill.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Checkala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really nice

To the best of my knowledge the system is the same throughout Spain. ¡Good luck!

[QUOTE=billgates;8972825]
Originally Posted by cricketman

Can you do this all over Spain or only Barcelona?
How do you do it? Info greatly appreciated if it will save my quarterly gestor bill.