Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

JustinTime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

About two months ago we took our daughters laptop into a local computer repair shop to have a fault with the power inlet fixed. The repair was unsuccessful and the laptop now needs a new mother board.
During the two months we didn’t receive any communication at all and had to chase. Each time I contacted them they were on the back foot and didn’t sound on top of it.
So the computer did have power sometimes and now it doesn’t have any power at all. I can invest 100 euro’s for another board however it turns out that they don’t have business insurance so if they break it further all they will offer is an apology!
I checked the machine on its return and the socket isn’t even aligned with the case. .
I am not going to broadcast the name of the shop but if you know someone that might be able to save this machine from the dustbin or you have a laptop for sale let me know!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Was it a Spanish company? - if so, ask for their complaints book or denounce them formally.

If they're not Spanish ..... oops, go Spanish next time.

Doesn't help I know but might help your peace-of-mind
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Laptop: Sorry its worse now but I do offer an apology for all breakages

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Was it a Spanish company? - if so, ask for their complaints book or denounce them formally.

I heard that the local Spanish shop is better but I was too far in to change.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear, is it a dell? ive heard of alot of power jack problems, ive bought the part on ebay to fix mine.. for 69p...

its a case of pulling it to bits, soldering a new one in, and putting it back together.

its not hard, in fact its only a "one beer" job

but some people charge mega bucks to do it.

mine charges perfectly when turned off.. doesnt charge when turned on.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JustinTime
About two months ago we took our daughters laptop into a local computer repair shop to have a fault with the power inlet fixed. The repair was unsuccessful and the laptop now needs a new mother board.
During the two months we didn’t receive any communication at all and had to chase. Each time I contacted them they were on the back foot and didn’t sound on top of it.
So the computer did have power sometimes and now it doesn’t have any power at all. I can invest 100 euro’s for another board however it turns out that they don’t have business insurance so if they break it further all they will offer is an apology!
I checked the machine on its return and the socket isn’t even aligned with the case. .
I am not going to broadcast the name of the shop but if you know someone that might be able to save this machine from the dustbin or you have a laptop for sale let me know!
Where do you live?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

... interesting. I have a Dell D500 where the battery is always empty. If I plug the mains in, it says it's charging and works fine but never actually charges the battery.

Is this the same problem?

I looked at buying a new battery but they're too expensive to be viable.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

... interesting. I have a Dell D500 where the battery is always empty. If I plug the mains in, it says it's charging and works fine but never actually charges the battery.

No, that does sound like your battery, not the power connector/socket.

These guys have always been good when I've bought parts from them before. They ship worldwide and the battery you need (OEM - not Dell original) sounds like quite a reasonable price: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BATTERY-DELL...-/230526338906

Or this is an excellent price because of the free shipping (OEM battery from a Hong kong seller, but they have good feedback): http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-Dell-Lat...-/110577383877

Last edited by AlexInBC; Sep 21st 2010 at 5:51 pm. Reason: Added second link.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
oh dear, is it a dell? ive heard of alot of power jack problems, ive bought the part on ebay to fix mine.. for 69p...

its a case of pulling it to bits, soldering a new one in, and putting it back together.

its not hard, in fact its only a "one beer" job

but some people charge mega bucks to do it.

mine charges perfectly when turned off.. doesnt charge when turned on.
I know my Dad has done lots of them for his friends, I have never known him screw the machine. It would have been cheaper to fly him over with Ryanair, let him fix it, fill him up with beer and send him home
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

I think that could be the charger board in the machine. I once had that happen to my machine a few years ago and the replace the battery and a component in the machine to get it working. They actually did it all for free because while they were fixing it they broke something and missed the SLA.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by reggiedh
Where do you live?
El Grande
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i wont offer to do it justin, you have the same resources as me at this point, its just the taking apart and putting back together that might be a bind -

the jack is very cheap, a "micro" soldering iron only about 15€.

in the uk these laptops are rather cheap - eg i could get a "new" dell inspiron 1501 to replace mine for 30-50 pounds, its not worth doing the jack, but having upgraded the whole machine, new ram and new hd etc, it makes it viable.

good luck ! and if you do look to buy a new machine, i may buy the old one off you to "play" with, if its decent spec still.

ps. you can get a new one in tesco ect for around 299 quids...
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Spot on!

Best

Loco

i wont offer to do it justin, you have the same resources as me at this point, its just the taking apart and putting back together that might be a bind -

the jack is very cheap, a "micro" soldering iron only about 15€.

in the uk these laptops are rather cheap - eg i could get a "new" dell inspiron 1501 to replace mine for 30-50 pounds, its not worth doing the jack, but having upgraded the whole machine, new ram and new hd etc, it makes it viable.

good luck ! and if you do look to buy a new machine, i may buy the old one off you to "play" with, if its decent spec still.

ps. you can get a new one in tesco ect for around 299 quids...
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear, is it a dell? ive heard of alot of power jack problems
It's nothing to do with the brand, it's to do with people using their laptop while it's still plugged in & yanking the power lead around. Just unplug it & run it on battery power when you use it, that's what the battery is for.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

even a Brit shop should have a complaints book

& you can denounce one too

however - many just don't seem to care as much as a Spanish owned shop
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
even a Brit shop should have a complaints book

& you can denounce one too

however - many just don't seem to care as much as a Spanish owned shop
They should also have business insurance!

Sounds like another illegal British company, no surpise then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.