Language

Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

scarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Language

Hi guys I will be moving to Spain next year I will be 16 therefore attending Bachillerato or whatever it is Im not sure I just would like to know people opinions on the Spanish state equivelant to college and as a non spanish speaker if they would help me and rouphly how long would it take me to learn. Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2016, 6:24 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:01 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scarlettrutherfordx
Hi guys I will be moving to Spain next year I will be 16 therefore attending Bachillerato or whatever it is Im not sure I just would like to know people opinions on the Spanish state equivelant to college and as a non spanish speaker if they would help me and rouphly how long would it take me to learn. Thanks

Sorry but are you for real????

I am not even sure if you would qualify for a place in a Spanish state schoolBachillarato is the equivalent of A levels in UK (a lot broader subjects), a prerequisite for university places and as a none Spanish speaker you will struggle big time in a Spanish state school or college.

Here is a link that might help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...achillerato.29

Your ONLY hope of success is to do the international baccalauraete at an international school that teaches in English as first language. This is NOT free and you will have to pay privately

OR

You may even want to look for English schools that offer A levels or do A levels via a correspondence course (open university) as above you will have to pay
Old Jan 25th 2016, 7:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a non-Spanish speaker, you haven't got a hope of completing Bacillerato at a Spanish state school (IMHO)!

Your only option would be a British or International college for which you will have to pay.

Sorry, but having children the same age as you, that's how I see it.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You would need a very high level of Spanish to do what you propose. If you are motivated, have talent for learning a foreign language, and put your mind to it you MIGHT get somewhere with a year of full time study of Spanish as a Foreign language.
How would you propose to finance this ?

Last edited by scot47; Jan 25th 2016 at 2:07 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jan 25th 2016, 3:43 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

To upset your education at this critical stage is very poor parenting. I would suggest you ask your parents to defer their move or make suitable arrangements for you to complete your education in the UK.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

scarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond reputescarlettrutherfordx has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks everyone unfortunatly this is not optional and Im keen to learn Spanish I am predicted mostly As and A*s at GCSE
and as I would be moving to the costa del sol I was told by a few
school that they cater for students with all levels of spanish I have heard the spanish schooling is harder than the english if anyone has non spanish speaking children attending school on the costa del sol could you please help me and I am currently studying spanish at school so Im at a basic level
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks everyone unfortunatly this is not optional and Im keen to learn Spanish I am predicted mostly As and A*s at GCSE
and as I would be moving to the costa del sol I was told by a few
school that they cater for students with all levels of spanish I have heard the spanish schooling is harder than the english if anyone has non spanish speaking children attending school on the costa del sol could you please help me and I am currently studying spanish at school so Im at a basic level
You will have no chance in a Spanish state school. Absolutely none. You do not speak Spanish and have not been taught any of the Spanish curriculum

You must be sent to a private fee paying school to undertake GCSEs in English

If your parents cannot afford that then they should not be moving to Spain. Maybe get them to read this thread? If they still want to go, then maybe you could stay in the UK with extended family until your GCSEs are over? But then you would have the same problem with A level
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Ok we have established the fact Im going to totally fail my exams and will probobaly have to come back and do them in england anyone got any positives on the fact Im doing Bachillerato in Spain ???
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:51 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If they don't think you up to the standard, they may even let you sit the exams(?)
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Ok we have established the fact Im going to totally fail my exams and will probobaly have to come back and do them in england anyone got any positives on the fact Im doing Bachillerato in Spain ???
I know that you do not like the answers that you are receiving but I really hope that you are taking them seriously. You say that you are set to gain high levels of passes so surely after working up to this level you do not want to throw this achievement away. If you did not have this problem and were staying in the UK to gain your good passes what do you plan to do with these qualifications?

Adding to the negative responses you need to be told that currently Spain has a very high level of unemployment so even if you miraculously learned the language to the level of fluency and sat their exams and passed with flying colours there are no jobs and also no benefit system for you to fall back on.

You asked for positives, yes there are some, Spain is a great place to live if you are not reliant on it to provide you with employment. Their education system is wonderful but it is different from the UK. The people are open and friendly and extremely helpful.

Please have a very serious talk with your parents about you staying in the UK to take your exams because I really cannot see how you would slot into the education system here and survive successfully.

Rosemary
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Okay so after having a talk with my parents and showing them this site they have decided to look around both state and the cheaper international school and with my qualifications I would like to attend university and go into Pharmacy or teaching english language in Spain
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Get your parents to pay for an International School following a UK curriculum or stay with a family member in the UK while you qualify at 'A' level.

'A' levels are really only a basic entry level qualification for higher education...sorry but they don't mean much on their own; just bits of paper the UK government dish out to children every year.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so after having a talk with my parents and showing them this site they have decided to look around both state and the cheaper international school and with my qualifications I would like to attend university and go into Pharmacy or teaching english language in Spain
Apologies for being harsh below
What planet are you and your parents living on???

Your parents should be shot at dawn

Take the advice on here and finish your education in the UK and stop dreaming and get down from cloud cuckoo land

Your GSCE's (no matter the grades) will NOT get you access to the Bachillarato courses

Cheaper international schools - give me a break this is YOUR education and future

Try and imagine some 16 yr old Spaniard wanting to come to the UK to do his A levels (or even GCSE's) in an English school / college with little or no knowledge of English

Most unbelievable and ridiculous plan / idea on moving to Spain I have ever come across

Good luck anyway
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966

Take the advice on here and finish your education in the UK and stop dreaming and get down from cloud cuckoo land

Try and imagine some 16 yr old Spaniard wanting to come to the UK to do his A levels (or even GCSE's) in an English school / college with little or no knowledge of English
There is some pragmmatic advice which has been given, but the manner in which some of it (and some of the closed-minded advice) has been given is pretty appalling.

Hopefully your parents are coming to understand what the most suitable approaches are: either a good international school in Spain, or your staying in UK to finish your studies there. But those approaches are predicated on you and your parents actually being able to make them happen, and if your parents are really in the situation where they have no choice but for you to go to a Spanish state school, then all the preceding advice is useless, save for one aspect: you'll need to speak Spanish, and at a level sufficient for you to prepare for and sit the Spanish exams.

I have two acquaintances, both of whose mother tongues are Arabic and French (which, having two mother tongues, undeniably gives them an advantage when tyring to master another language). Both went to Ukraine, in order to study Pharmacy, in their early 20's; neither spoke any Ukrainian before they left, and AFAIK Ukrainian is vastly different from both Arabic and French. They each took one year to become sufficiently fluent in Ukranian to study Pharmacy, and to become qualified Pharmacists there.

So that's the third option. A year, in a state school where you'll probably struggle really hard, to become fluent. You'll also have to overcome the hurdle of the curriculum being different, but the core subjects should be substantially the same.

The world has many examples of successful people who -- by either choice or no choice -- ended up in a country very different from what they were used to, and having to learn a new language.

Stay positive, and good luck.

ps And to the other posters: there's a way of expressing strong feelings, but please consider your audience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.