Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

landlords responsibility

landlords responsibility

Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default landlords responsibility

When your in part furnished rented accommodation just what is the landlords responsibility in regards to maintenance of boilers, lights, fixtures and fittings.

When you rent in the UK there is a legal requirement by landlords to provide certificates for things like boilers is there the same in Spain or is it just pot luck.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: landlords responsibility

Originally Posted by jay01
When your in part furnished rented accommodation just what is the landlords responsibility in regards to maintenance of boilers, lights, fixtures and fittings.

When you rent in the UK there is a legal requirement by landlords to provide certificates for things like boilers is there the same in Spain or is it just pot luck.
It depends what it says in the contract, but most Spanish think the tenent has to pay for repairs and renewals.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a landlord here in Spain, it is my responsibility to make sure that everything is working.

However, if something is broken by the tenant, then it is their responsibility to make sure that it is repaired - that's what the security finance is for.

From talking to various agents, this seems to be the norm! If your landlord is refusing to repair, say, a boiler that has stopped working, then (I think) he's wrong and should get it fixed.

Making him do this though may be very hard!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As a landlord here in Spain, it is my responsibility to make sure that everything is working.

However, if something is broken by the tenant, then it is their responsibility to make sure that it is repaired - that's what the security finance is for.

From talking to various agents, this seems to be the norm! If your landlord is refusing to repair, say, a boiler that has stopped working, then (I think) he's wrong and should get it fixed.

Making him do this though may be very hard!
Agreed. If it brokedown because of normal wear and tear, he should fix it. On the other hand if it was something you done to break it you should fix it.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Oh I agree with the comment if you break it you repair it.

But in the UK the landlord has to have gas and electricity safety certificates. Things like the boiler, gas fire and any electrical appliances should be checked and certified each year by a qualified person. Then a copy should be available to the tenant for records.

One of the problems we have is with the boiler, when we moved it it did not work properly, 2 weeks ago we mentioned to the agent that we could smell gas and this was confirmed yesterday by a plumber we had in that was giving us a quote for something unrelated. On phone to agent again saying about the gas leak and was asked if we really wanted to basically burden the landlord with the cost of repair.

You can all probably guess what my reply to that was and it did involve the word kaboom
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:51 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

But in the UK the landlord has to have gas and electricity safety certificates. Things like the boiler, gas fire and any electrical appliances should be checked and certified each year by a qualified person. Then a copy should be available to the tenant for records.

One of the problems we have is with the boiler, when we moved it it did not work properly, 2 weeks ago we mentioned to the agent that we could smell gas and this was confirmed yesterday by a plumber we had in that was giving us a quote for something unrelated. On phone to agent again saying about the gas leak and was asked if we really wanted to basically burden the landlord with the cost of repair.
You can all probably guess what my reply to that was and it did involve the word kaboom
Is the agent a moron? Tell him you want it fixed yesterday........
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:09 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We rent and any repairs to electrics, boiler, dishwasher or washing machine the landlord pays.

He is fine with me getting the repair done and just taking it off the next rent.

If it´s my fault..such as blocking up the sink, they I pay for the plumber.

If it isn´t my fault, I shouldn´t have to pay.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that (legally) landlords should have gas installations checked annually - they would then get a certificate. However, no one I know does this.

I don't do it on our own gas boiler at home - perhaps I should
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever owns the gas contract should get it checked and get a certificate to prove it is ok, especially landlords.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:44 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Our rental agreement is that we will make small repairs and maintenance and the landlord will make big repairs - a loose arrangement maybe but it works OK for us.

We had to replace several taps which started to leak but when we told the landlord we needed a pressure limiter valve he paid for it. We repaint the outside and patch paint internally, a small job. He paid for a new gas boiler when the old one went belly up. Both he and we are still happy after 5 years.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have spoken to the agent today and the landlord is going to send out someone to repair the leak as we were not to happy at them wanting to remove the gas boiler and put in an emersion heater .

Like everything else here it just moves at a slower pace, to slow sometimes but where we were going to pay the next 3 months rent we have decided to hold back and only pay what is due if necessary we will pay for the gas repair and then take it out of the rent.

We are more than happy to do our bit, we are looking to install a water purifier that may well extend the boilers life and have the pipes and boiler de-scaled to improve the pressure .

So as I said in another post it helps if you meet the landlord then you can often come to an arrangement once you get past the agent who seems to decide what should be forwarded and what is not.

Although my Spanish is not brilliant I am more than capable of making myself understood should I ever need to deal direct with the landlord and sometimes agents just need to know who they are working for,
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing what the word kaboom can do when used with "you will talk to the landlord". A gas engineer has come out today and is replacing the faulty pipework so we should no longer have a gas leak and it has only taken 2 weeks, from first telling the agent.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I've mentioned this on previous threads, we had a rental contract in Barcelona that basically implied that we were responsible for the boiler etc from day 1, so if it had broken on day 2... imagine the language... I'm aware that it was "more fool us" but at the time the rent was so reasonable and the flat so nice it was worth the risk, but in today's climate it is a renter's market in the sense that you can haggle about this kind of detail. Check the contract before signing, preferably with help from someone who speaks the language if you don't.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

hahahha

jay01, you only have to ask, you realise that my dads a plumber? lol

but anyways - the contract belongs to the landlord, technically, you cant do anything involving the contract, but you can get your own repairs done and charge it to the landlord.

you can always ask...