Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

knowing your subject & teaching it

knowing your subject & teaching it

Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: knowing your subject & teaching it

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they're open til 2 here then again at about 5ish

so do you get your 'siesta' earlier then?
Things shut down at 12.30 and open again at 4 - some places open at 4.30 in height of summer.

I suppose our siesta is earlier - not everybody does it - but the timetable does seem to be earlier.

Everything shuts down again at 19.30pm.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Aye, the little tricks were just add ons delivered by very good teachers.
I don't remember any of those - had to learn them when I started teaching ESL
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:47 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

English is a foully irregular language, and I'm just glad I learnt it as my milk tongue.

I'd say I was reasonably fluent in English, but I think it is true to say that if you really understand a language, you realise that you can never be 100% fluent, as there is always more that you don't understand.

There is one double negative in English that you can use gramatically = I don't dislike it" which gives a nice distinction between like and dislike.

As for teaching, well, no matter how much you know, if you are a crap teacher, it is unlikely that your students will do well.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
English is a foully irregular language, and I'm just glad I learnt it as my milk tongue.

I'd say I was reasonably fluent in English, but I think it is true to say that if you really understand a language, you realise that you can never be 100% fluent, as there is always more that you don't understand.

There is one double negative in English that you can use gramatically = I don't dislike it" which gives a nice distinction between like and dislike.

As for teaching, well, no matter how much you know, if you are a crap teacher, it is unlikely that your students will do well.
Yes, I think I would have hated learning English as a second language. All those phrasal verbs...aarghh! Must be hell trying to memorise them all. It's so much easier when you just have a "feel" for them and can even deduce the meaning of one that you've never heard before.

As complex as Spanish grammar is, I really enjoyed studying it. It's a far more "logical" language in my opinion.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Yes, I think I would have hated learning English as a second language. All those phrasal verbs...aarghh! Must be hell trying to memorise them all. It's so much easier when you just have a "feel" for them and can even deduce the meaning of one that you've never heard before.

As complex as Spanish grammar is, I really enjoyed studying it. It's a far more "logical" language in my opinion.
I totally agree - so much more logical & straightforward

in Spanish a rule is a rule rarely broken - even when it is, it's by another rule

In English - why bother having rules at all!!???

so many times I just have to tell students to just accept it - there is no useful explanation for why we don't always pronounce things or spell things the same way
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:31 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Grammar is interesting full stop.

There is actually a genetic componant to it, and I believe there is a family in the UK that have members that simply cannot learn, use or understand grammar. This crops up in their family tree like haemophilia.

Chimps can understand and use grammar.

When I was learning German, it was as tho there was a huge cliff of grammar to learn, but once learnt, it was downhill all the way, and all that was needed was to expand vocabularly. English is a gentle slope by comparison, very easy to get started, but it never levels off, and just keeps going upwards.

It also has a huge vocabulary. I have heard it quoted that English has 4 times as many words as German, and ten times as many as are in Norwegian.

Wasn't English a trade language developed between the Anglo saxons and the Danes?