Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Kitten advice please.

Kitten advice please.

Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:49 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kitten advice please.

OK, I suspect that the mother has dumped these two on me. Either she has gone the way of all cats here, or the two Labs have frightened her off.

Came out this morning and heard them crying and cold hidden on the front terrace. The dogs are inside all night, and the mother would have had free access to feed them all night, so they shouldn't have been crying.

One has it's eyes only just open.

What the frick do I do with them? Spare me the jokes about deep frying, or tossing them to the dogs please.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitten advice please.

Originally Posted by bil
OK, I suspect that the mother has dumped these two on me. Either she has gone the way of all cats here, or the two Labs have frightened her off.

Came out this morning and heard them crying and cold hidden on the front terrace. The dogs are inside all night, and the mother would have had free access to feed them all night, so they shouldn't have been crying.

One has it's eyes only just open.

What the frick do I do with them? Spare me the jokes about deep frying, or tossing them to the dogs please.
Sounds like they are not even 2 weeks old yet.

They so need their mother right now but I guess the best to do is to keep them warm and somehow make up some feeding device to get milk into them.

Of course you dont even know if they are carrying one or more of the dreaded viruses.Not sure if that would affect your dogs.

Sorry I cant offer better advice but cats dont usually leave their mum until they are at least 2 months old and obviously right now will be needing their mothers milk.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't meant to be as stupid as it sounds, but is either of the labs a bitch and/or maternal & might be nice to them, keep them warm etc? stranger things have happened. what would your local vet say/do to help?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you want them to survive then bottle feeding every few hours is the only way.

You can get special dried milk at the vets. Don't use ordinary milk. You can get special bottles or use a dropper.

It's a labour of love but it can work - our 14 year old cat was bottle fed from 2 weeks.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:55 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Mercifully the mother has run the gauntlet of the labs and taken them away.

I don't think the labs go a bundle on cats. The oldest is OK and will let them in and out on sufferance if I say so, but the younger one would simply eat the kittens and kill the mother given the chance.