KINDLE again

Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default KINDLE again

A friend resident in Spain is thinking of buying a Kindle and wants to access the UK site.

However Amazon have sent her the following

Kindle content supplied from Amazon.co.uk is only available to customers located in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Ireland and Gibraltar.

As you are not a resident of the United Kingdom, Jersey, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Ireland or Gibraltar, you will need to update your country and address settings at http://www.amazon.co.uk/mycd

Customers residing outside the United Kingdom, Jersey, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Ireland or Gibraltar, can shop for and download Kindle content from our partner sites Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.it, Amazon.es, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.cn, Amazon.com.br, Amazon.com.mx, Amazon.com.au and Amazon.ca if applicable

How are others resident is Spain faring?
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KINDLE again

I have mine set to the UK. You can easily change countries back and forth on the Amazon.co.uk web site.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:12 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Bought in Spain last year and registered to a UK address.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both for your replies.

She has been told by Kindle that she will only be allowed to download 5 books from the UK site monitored by her IP address and then she should be be blocked.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:29 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Kindle bought from Amazon UK a few years ago, sent to a UK address and when it was then sent onto Spain I re-registered it with them. Never ever had a problem and have had their free books and bought hundreds of books without ever being stopped. My understanding is that provided you register the Kindle correctly with them in the UK that this is sufficient and of course that you have an Amazon account.

Rosemary
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Kindle v Nook.
I have a nook. I'm currently still in the UK but have down loaded from my library whilst in Spain. This service is free and my current limit is 10 books. I will be continuing this system when I'm (hopefully) in Spain via family library membership in the UK. For what it's worth, I've supported the library for over 50 years.
On another topic, can anyone advise as to a ball park figure for running a family sized pool?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks again folks my own personal experiences are not really applicable due to my Gib IP address.

However we did buy 2 Kindles in the USA last year, registered them to our UK account and downloaded various books whilst in the USA without any problems
Old Jan 16th 2015, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

I buy mine from the USA site, I haven't really had a problem with avalilability. Are the prices less or more from UK.

Just asking.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

If Kindle have said that, then maybe there will be problems.

That said, I bought my first Kindle several years ago in the UK. I then moved to the Middle East and changed the registered address from the UK to the USA for various reasons. During the time I was living in the Middle East I downloaded books there, whilst in the UK on holiday, and from various other addresses around the world. Now I spend time 50/50 between the UK and Spain and currently have the account registered to the UK, although I download from both places.

Never once been blocked due to IP issues.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Thanks both for your replies.

She has been told by Kindle that she will only be allowed to download 5 books from the UK site monitored by her IP address and then she should be be blocked.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

USA book prices tend to be cheaper than the UK ones, I've found.

The only reason I have changed where mine is registered is because in the past I wanted to buy something that was unavailable in the region.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all

It begs the question WHY buy a Kindle or a Nook...just buy a normal 8 inch or 10 inch tablet..they ALL come with an e-reader OR download ALDIKO as a reader ...However my point is there are hundreds of FREE e-book sites out there. I have been using a tablet for reading for years, and I have NEVER not been able to find THE book(s) that I want to read. Why tie yourself to one book format when you can use Calibre on your desktop to convert ANY book format....my tuppence worth !! Free ebook sites on request
Old Jan 17th 2015, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband bought his Kindle several years ago we had it delivered to a UK address and collected it from there.
Just so long as you keep a UK address in your Amazon address book there isn't a problem, it doesn't have to be the same as your billing address, my husband downloads lots of books from them without issue.
I also have my computer set so that I can read them on there as well, when I set it up it simply asked me if I'd changed address, I just clicked on yes.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigonjack
It begs the question WHY buy a Kindle or a Nook...just buy a normal 8 inch or 10 inch tablet..they ALL come with an e-reader OR download ALDIKO as a reader ...However my point is there are hundreds of FREE e-book sites out there. I have been using a tablet for reading for years, and I have NEVER not been able to find THE book(s) that I want to read. Why tie yourself to one book format when you can use Calibre on your desktop to convert ANY book format....my tuppence worth !! Free ebook sites on request
There are of course, two types of Kindle; the "e-ink" monochrome one and the coloured-screen "Fire" version. I assume people on this thread are using the monochrome version. There are several advantages to the monochrome version over the type of tablet to which you refer. One is the longer battery life and another is the screen is not backlit and is therefore less of a strain on the eyes when used for extended periods.

But you're right to say there appear to be few reasons to buy a "Fire" version instead of a "normal" tablet.

As for the free ebook sights, most of these are "pirated". Although these free books are tempting, many people have consciences which prevent them from downloading such books.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all

'Pirated'...never taped an album or a CD?...never made a mix tape?...If that is the most of your worries then sites like Guggenheim use books where there are no longer any legal owners or where writers want there books to gave a wider audience ..ALSO Kindle/Amazon/Google etc provide hundreds of free books on their web sites...so as you can see the future IS digital but not necessarily tied to a 'brick' like a Kindle or a Nook....happy reading on whichever gadget you read, and how ever much you want to pay...
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigonjack
'Pirated'...never taped an album or a CD?...never made a mix tape?...If that is the most of your worries then sites like Guggenheim use books where there are no longer any legal owners or where writers want there books to gave a wider audience ..ALSO Kindle/Amazon/Google etc provide hundreds of free books on their web sites...so as you can see the future IS digital but not necessarily tied to a 'brick' like a Kindle or a Nook....happy reading on whichever gadget you read, and how ever much you want to pay...
I hope you do not mind if I point out that it's Gutenberg, not Guggenheim, from where the free books to which you referred may be downloaded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.