Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just how do they do it?

Just how do they do it?

Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how do they do it?

Spain has a different climate to the UK, it has a different political system and the people are different, although the people difference is a small one.

You can't compare a rain-soaked UK landscape on which to build roads with a sun-baked Spanish one. You can't have fortnightly rubbish collections in Spain, the rats would be the size of horses.

And Franco got rid of the Spanish aristocracy, most of them anyway; we've got Lords and Ladies coming out of the woodwork, they're everywhere, thousands upon thousands of them.

It's a difference I enjoy here in Spain, and I'm quite prepared to suffer a few potholes that will be repaired Manana.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You probably have a good point. By the time all the public enquiries have taken place in the UK, a lot of time and money has no doubt been spent on legal fees and the like. I'm not expecting the high speed line in England to be operational before 2030.
Right enough, ok all objections should be given fair consideration, but urgent projects can sometimes be long delayed for the most minor and ridiculous of complaints at astronomical,unnecessary cost.

As I mentioned elsewhere maybe the UK should have a Ministry of Commonsense to oversee projects and do away with much of the ridiculous waste and unnecessary red tape.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

And Franco got rid of the Spanish aristocracy, most of them anyway; we've got Lords and Ladies coming out of the woodwork, they're everywhere, thousands upon thousands of them.
He obviously missed a few, well over 2,500 actually.
http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003...e/465800.shtml
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
He obviously missed a few, well over 2,500 actually.
http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20111003...e/465800.shtml
He certainly did and in addition to that, IMHO what I would term as aristocratic types and behaviour are far more common and acceptable in Spain than in the UK at the present time.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:16 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
He certainly did and in addition to that, IMHO what I would term as aristocratic types and behaviour are far more common and acceptable in Spain than in the UK at the present time.
Jesus, does it mean we've got Lord Prescott's here in Spain? I tend to stay away from Google, you can find anything you want on there.

Actually, that Zapatero fellow seems a decent bloke, I wouldn't mind him being made a Lord.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Jesus, does it mean we've got Lord Prescott's here in Spain? I tend to stay away from Google, you can find anything you want on there.

Actually, that Zapatero fellow seems a decent bloke, I wouldn't mind him being made a Lord.
Lord Bean and Gone ?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:54 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by HBG

Heavens above No ,.... no one so uncouth and base as Prescott.

Not now, not ever I would hope.

The Spanish aristocratic types like to live up to their reputation, be they genuine aristocrats or not.

Commonly found in the expensive seats at major Spanish bullfights.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I tend to stay away from Google, you can find anything you want on there.
Actually the quote came from Comando Actualidad, one of the few shows I watch and enjoy, and it was on a week or so ago. It gives me a factual, non rose coloured glasses report of what is actually happening in Spain, unlike some of the fanciful stories I read here. Think of it as a sort of balance, a Spanish point of view, they seem less reluctant to admit to all their problems and keen to discuss them.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Actually the quote came from Comando Actualidad, one of the few shows I watch and enjoy, and it was on a week or so ago. It gives me a factual, non rose coloured glasses report of what is actually happening in Spain, unlike some of the fanciful stories I read here. Think of it as a sort of balance, a Spanish point of view, they seem less reluctant to admit to all their problems and keen to discuss them.
Comando Actualidad and Callejeros are excellent and pretty grim watching. However, they are not very balanced, they generally focus on the worst problem areas in Spain and in CA any issues of the day.

For example, you can see neighbourhoods that look like the 3rd world on Callejeros, yet in my time in Spain I've never seen anything like that, and neither have my friends of family.

Of course they exist, but they are on the margins of society and not representative of the country as a whole. However, didnt someone say "you judge a country based on how they treat their weakest members" A very unfashionable point of view nowadays though
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You probably have a good point. By the time all the public enquiries have taken place in the UK, a lot of time and money has no doubt been spent on legal fees and the like. I'm not expecting the high speed line in England to be operational before 2030.
and be added to the list of National Folly's

IMHO a waste of money to get to Birmingham 5mins quicker, Manchester 10mins quicker.
the effect on the environment in general will be devastating, its not just the lines its also the infrastructure that goes with it, such as getting the electricity to the trains.
We should be looking forward by looking back - at the technology of the maglev (levitating) trains of the 70's and still being used in Gatwick. Their footprint is much smaller and less devastating.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Do you think there is the same amount of "nimbyism" about infrastructure developments in Spain that we always see in the UK? I read an article recently about objections being raised to the new high speed rail line because it would disturb the Queen's racehorses! I do see objections being voiced by Spanish environmentalists in the press, but they don't seem to carry as much weight here as they do in the UK.
That makes very interesting reading without looking at it in depth
Greece has a very large slice per capita compared with everyone else.
Interesting to see some other countries such as Belgium and Holland much further down.

However, where does that €10bn to Other and Non-Eu go to and does any good come from it ?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Right enough, ok all objections should be given fair consideration, but urgent projects can sometimes be long delayed for the most minor and ridiculous of complaints at astronomical,unnecessary cost.

As I mentioned elsewhere maybe the UK should have a Ministry of Commonsense to oversee projects and do away with much of the ridiculous waste and unnecessary red tape.
remember the fuss there was about T5 at Heathrow, even man in white van driving past on M25 had a say in delaying that.

by the way where did they move the water treatment works to in the end??
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:29 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah its all EU money i'm sure, or money placed from other sources for specific projects. I remember a couple of years ago, the police in Estepona were having to take the bus / walk wherever they could because they didnt have money for fuel for their cars. At teh same time they were digging the roads up and building a somewhat controversial cycle lane...

Same in La Linea now.. brand new hospital being built at a time when they're demonstrating because the council workers arent getting paid.