Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Just how do they do it?

Just how do they do it?

Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:38 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just how do they do it?

So almost every wheres in a financial mess then?

So how come everywhere I look in Spain it's new roads, new hospitals, new every thing going up, and all over too?

Just one example, near to us a an 18km mountain road almost dirt track, it's not only been resurfaced but has had lines painted down both sides of the whole length, off this is a dirt track that has been tripled in width and tarmacked, and IMO destroyed, it used to be so pretty, it's like a car park now.

Just how do they do it and couldn't they give other countries such as the UK a few tips on how to get things done in this financial climate?

Dunno about you but I prefer it this way.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:47 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how do they do it?

They had to find somewhere to spend the huge handouts they've had from Brussels at our expense, though I believe it's a bit less now as countries like Bulgaria, Rumania and Greece are also after a fat slice of our hard earned cash now, even though were're deep in the hands of the money lenders.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't it Keynesian economics to spend money on projects in order to try and get the economy moving?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:16 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

This link shows how EU money was spread between different countries in 2009. Surprising to see Germany up near the top, but since they are the biggest contributor, can't blame them for taking some back!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8036096.stm

I think that a lot more gets built (and yes, some of it is ill-advised) in places like Spain, because building costs are somehow so much lower there. When we hear of a major project in the UK, like CrossRail or the proposed London-Birmingham high speed rail link, the costs are enormous (£16 billion for the Cross Rail line alone).
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
So almost every wheres in a financial mess then?

So how come everywhere I look in Spain it's new roads, new hospitals, new every thing going up, and all over too?

Just one example, near to us a an 18km mountain road almost dirt track, it's not only been resurfaced but has had lines painted down both sides of the whole length, off this is a dirt track that has been tripled in width and tarmacked, and IMO destroyed, it used to be so pretty, it's like a car park now.

Just how do they do it and couldn't they give other countries such as the UK a few tips on how to get things done in this financial climate?

Dunno about you but I prefer it this way.
Well I just wish they would get some of the roadworks sorted in Granada. I know the tram takes alot of work but we have lines laid months ago but the road on either side dug up and no work going on. I would like to see some of these bits finished off and the traffic moving a bit better, even if only in a few places.

However, all these works are used as a means of keeping people employed, even if it is for short term contract.
But the new swimming pool next door hasnt had any work done to complete the project for 6months. Run out of money ??
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Well I just wish they would get some of the roadworks sorted in Granada. I know the tram takes alot of work but we have lines laid months ago but the road on either side dug up and no work going on. I would like to see some of these bits finished off and the traffic moving a bit better, even if only in a few places.

However, all these works are used as a means of keeping people employed, even if it is for short term contract.
But the new swimming pool next door hasnt had any work done to complete the project for 6months. Run out of money ??
Same around here, we have road improvements and widening started but then no movement for months on end. We still have roads that were washed away or suffered landslips two winters ago, nothing done about them other than a couple of cones to warn of the danger.
Meantime our local mayor has started and finished totally unnecessary and frivolous projects in town, the money for which would have paid for the road repairs and there would have been money left over!
They are also building a new swimming pool, goodness knows why as there already is one in town.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of roads slipping. They rebuilt the road up to Vejer quite recently, and at the time I was puzzled as to why there was no piling done along the side of the road where it dropped away down the hill.

Well, already they are repairing the second wave of cracks that are forming as big chunks of the road's edge are threatening to wander off downhill at a moment's notice.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:06 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Megmet
Same around here, we have road improvements and widening started but then no movement for months on end. We still have roads that were washed away or suffered landslips two winters ago, nothing done about them other than a couple of cones to warn of the danger.
Meantime our local mayor has started and finished totally unnecessary and frivolous projects in town, the money for which would have paid for the road repairs and there would have been money left over!
They are also building a new swimming pool, goodness knows why as there already is one in town.
I have seen this, I know one road that they were supposedly working on for 6 years on and off, but they did finish it eventually.

Maybe they start them all to get the cash in then work a little on each one at different times, (a bit like some builders do) it does seem odd, there must be a logical reason, mustn't there?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Talking of roads slipping. They rebuilt the road up to Vejer quite recently, and at the time I was puzzled as to why there was no piling done along the side of the road where it dropped away down the hill.

Well, already they are repairing the second wave of cracks that are forming as big chunks of the road's edge are threatening to wander off downhill at a moment's notice.
Seen the same thing happening here on the road down to Fuengirola!
It was supposed to take a year to do but in the end took three, only a few weeks after it reopened they had to do some repair work on it.

In that three years it was a perfect opportunity to remove some of the sharp bends in the road....but they didn't, it's now a bikers paradise and a serious accident waiting to happen!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I have seen this, I know one road that they were supposedly working on for 6 years on and off, but they did finish it eventually.

Maybe they start them all to get the cash in then work a little on each one at different times, (a bit like some builders do) it does seem odd, there must be a logical reason, mustn't there?:confused:
Yes......it's Spain!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 4:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Yes......it's Spain!
I saw a long overdue new road built in Tenerife to by-pass one small congested town.
It stopped about 50 mtrs short of joining onto the main road system just outside of town.
It was still like that five years later when I left.
Nobody seemed to have a clue why.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
This link shows how EU money was spread between different countries in 2009. Surprising to see Germany up near the top, but since they are the biggest contributor, can't blame them for taking some back!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8036096.stm

I think that a lot more gets built (and yes, some of it is ill-advised) in places like Spain, because building costs are somehow so much lower there. When we hear of a major project in the UK, like CrossRail or the proposed London-Birmingham high speed rail link, the costs are enormous (£16 billion for the Cross Rail line alone).
Do you think there is the same amount of "nimbyism" about infrastructure developments in Spain that we always see in the UK? I read an article recently about objections being raised to the new high speed rail line because it would disturb the Queen's racehorses! I do see objections being voiced by Spanish environmentalists in the press, but they don't seem to carry as much weight here as they do in the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Do you think there is the same amount of "nimbyism" about infrastructure developments in Spain that we always see in the UK? I read an article recently about objections being raised to the new high speed rail line because it would disturb the Queen's racehorses! I do see objections being voiced by Spanish environmentalists in the press, but they don't seem to carry as much weight here as they do in the UK.
You probably have a good point. By the time all the public enquiries have taken place in the UK, a lot of time and money has no doubt been spent on legal fees and the like. I'm not expecting the high speed line in England to be operational before 2030.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Of course there isn't, did you read the news when the Antequera project was first muted. Some were kicked out of their properties and given around 6000 euro compensation because they had old valuations. Ecologistas en acción often complain...they sometimes get beat up too if they don't watch their backs. Around here a new planning proposal was turned down because it would disturb rare newts.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:56 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Of course there isn't, did you read the news when the Antequera project was first muted. Some were kicked out of their properties and given around 6000 euro compensation because they had old valuations. Ecologistas en acción often complain...they sometimes get beat up too if they don't watch their backs. Around here a new planning proposal was turned down because it would disturb rare newts.
rare newts should simply be destroyed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.