Jobs Jobs Jobs

Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future
Exclamation Jobs Jobs Jobs

I recently made a thread about needing work in the Valencia city center area and had some good responses. I took the advice but sadly was lead to a few dead-ends. By this I mean we had interviews for two scam companies; one trying to take money from us and the other a telesales job selling fake products to the British public. So yeah, declined both offers with a very negative response and are now back to square one.

I have learned a greater amount of Spanish since my last post so feel confident with bar work and basic work so I will be handing out my CV tomorrow but for now does anyone know of any websites or any advice on work that us Brits would be able to do?

If anyone knows of any job offers or has any contacts that would be even better but to be honest anything you can suggest right now would be ridiculously helpful.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:01 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs Jobs Jobs

Sounds about right. There is mass unemployment in Spain

Jo xxx
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

s1nkster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm in the same kind of boat, there is about 6 of us looking to move to Valencia or some province of Spain to live and work. We are willing to do anything to earn our way and pay for our accomodation. Any ideas or information would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Simon.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1nkster
Hi,

I'm in the same kind of boat, there is about 6 of us looking to move to Valencia or some province of Spain to live and work. We are willing to do anything to earn our way and pay for our accomodation. Any ideas or information would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Simon.
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Sounds about right. There is mass unemployment in Spain

Jo xxx
I wonder how bad it will have to get before people who ask about the possibility of finding work in Spain, with no particular skills to speak of and no knowledge of the language, will start believing the responses they get? I know the replies are overwhelmingly negative, but they seem to think people are just out to rubbish their plans, not that the replies actually reflect the truth of the situation.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:53 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers, Simon.
There is no work! There is mass unemployment. To become a resident in Spain you need to show proof of income and healthcare provision. So you need to be applying for jobs before you arrive to make sure you have work contracts

If you are planning to come over and do a bit of anything just to pay your way, you will need to engage a gestor who will help you to become an autonomo self employed, otherwise you will be working illegally and Spain are cracking down on illegals + you will have no healthcare - Autonomo will cost around 250€ a month excluding tax etc, but regardless of income (you pay even if you earn nothing) for each potential worker, but it will mean you get your healthcare covered

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Jul 25th 2012 at 4:04 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I wonder how bad it will have to get before people who ask about the possibility of finding work in Spain, with no particular skills to speak of and no knowledge of the language, will start believing the responses they get? I know the replies are overwhelmingly negative, but they seem to think people are just out to rubbish their plans, not that the replies actually reflect the truth of the situation.
Totally agree with you. In another thread Jo wrote about talking to some Spanish people who were working in England, I presume that they spoke English because otherwise they would a) not have taken the leap and b) not found work. Why is it that people expect it to be different for them than for others?

Rosemary
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:57 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Interestingly I've read of a young lady had told people off for their negativity cos she'd found lots of jobs - all without contracts. Sadly, her place of work was raided by the social security office last night and they seem to all be in trouble now!

gone are the days of pitching up in spain, doing a bit of this and that and living the dream!

Jo xxx
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:02 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Totally agree with you. In another thread Jo wrote about talking to some Spanish people who were working in England, I presume that they spoke English because otherwise they would a) not have taken the leap and b) not found work. Why is it that people expect it to be different for them than for others?

Rosemary
They spoke very good English, but openly admitted that coming to England for work was their last resort lol!!! But they found some and were in the process of bringing their families over!

jo xxxx
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DominicMarc
I recently made a thread about needing work in the Valencia city center area and had some good responses. I took the advice but sadly was lead to a few dead-ends. By this I mean we had interviews for two scam companies; one trying to take money from us and the other a telesales job selling fake products to the British public. So yeah, declined both offers with a very negative response and are now back to square one.

I have learned a greater amount of Spanish since my last post so feel confident with bar work and basic work so I will be handing out my CV tomorrow but for now does anyone know of any websites or any advice on work that us Brits would be able to do?

If anyone knows of any job offers or has any contacts that would be even better but to be honest anything you can suggest right now would be ridiculously helpful.
Hi,

Cheers, Simon.
sorry to hear about scam agencies but that happens everywhere, even in the big bright and bold UK, so.....
what experience do you have - degree in something useful ?
what do the cv's look like ?
used to be a time when employers would be more than happy to hire a wandering lute player as (s)he would have experience of life, making own way, endurance etc etc
but nowadays what they want is someone with relevent experience, who doesn't want much money, who isnt going to go off on a whim or pretty face.

Despite the avowed intent by the EU to allow anyone from within the borders to move anywhere within the borders it still allows nation states to decide who actually drops anchor and stays

I know its all negative, but if a few million desperate Spaniards with family responsibilities can't get a job what makes you think you are special enough to get one ??
My local painting business is so short of work he is getting his guys to paint the shop and house again just to keep them employed for an extra week in the hope others may see how smart his place looks and will get their place painted. It costs less to keep them employed on this than laying them off.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
They do seem to, don't they? The young man I referred to in response to Jo having mentioned in her post on the other thread having met Spanish people who had found jobs in England certainly does speak good English. Not only from having studied it at school, but from having an English girlfriend here in Spain for 3 years (she has lived here since she was tiny and been through the Spanish school system for the whole of her education, so is also bilingual - her family speak Spanish at home as her mother's second husband is Spanish and does not speak English). Although he wants his girlfriend to move over to be with him, she is reluctant to go. I think she's crazy - her job prospects are dismal to non-existent over here, in spite of the fact that she's in a better position than some young British people who were brought here by their parents when they were much older and don't have her command of the language.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:09 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
They spoke very good English, but openly admitted that coming to England for work was their last resort lol!!! But they found some and were in the process of bringing their families over!

jo xxxx
There was a newspaper (negative) article about the living accommodation for the cleaners at the Olympic stadium (converted containers, afloat in a sea of mud etc) and one of those interviewed was a Spanish woman - who said she wouldnt be staying !!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

s1nkster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks that was great...
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers, Simon.
At the moment prostitution or housebreaking seem to offer the best opportunities for foreigners. The Eastern Europeans seem to be having some success in that area.

Apart from that there aren't too many opportunities around.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
At the moment prostitution or housebreaking seem to offer the best opportunities for foreigners. The Eastern Europeans seem to be having some success in that area.

Apart from that there aren't too many opportunities around.
A positive post at last.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.