Jobs in Javea

Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

danny.boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Javea

In about 6 months I will be moving to Javea. I've never been there but i do plan on taking a year off in that area, as we have a house there. I'm 18 and when i get there I will be 19. I speak English and French fluently, but no Spanish, but i do think i would be able to easily learn it.
What types of jobs are available? Also what is minimum wage in Spain? Are there still jobs available due to the recession? Or does it take a while to find a job? Seeing as i'm not Spanish-speaking, would it be harder to find a job, or are there many English speaking ones in Javea?

`danny
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Javea

Originally Posted by danny.boy
In about 6 months I will be moving to Javea. I've never been there but i do plan on taking a year off in that area, as we have a house there. I'm 18 and when i get there I will be 19. I speak English and French fluently, but no Spanish, but i do think i would be able to easily learn it.
What types of jobs are available? Also what is minimum wage in Spain? Are there still jobs available due to the recession? Or does it take a while to find a job? Seeing as i'm not Spanish-speaking, would it be harder to find a job, or are there many English speaking ones in Javea?

`danny
Hi Danny

The minimum wage is 624 euros a month in Spain, which works out at around 4 euros/hour. However, this is if you have a contract. I should think whatever you will be doing will be cash in hand.

I'm afraid if you dont speak Spanish you have zero chance with a Spanish company, they wouldnt consider you until you could at least conduct an interview in Spanish. Then they may consider you for a job working with foreigners.

You're best to target the British bars or companies, if there are any in Javea (I dont know the area). However, there will be many in the same boat as you..

Best of luck
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Javea

Originally Posted by danny.boy

`danny
Good news - you have already learned a foreign language, you are young, you should find it easy to learn Spanish

Bad news - there are hardly any jobs for any nationality here in Javea at the moment, no matter how many languages you speak

If you're coming in the summer there should be some bar work if we get more tourists than last year - and the fact you speak another language will be an advantage

offhand I don't know what the minimum wage is - not a lot anyway - I did read somewhere that it's about 600 a month, but that's I imagine full time & on a contract - but as a huge amount of bar work is 'off contract' it probably doesn't apply

edit - ah I see cricketman just pipped me to the post!