ITV Ondara

Old Jul 29th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default ITV Ondara

We drive French registered car and with approval from AXA to keep it in Spain until later in the year. When we left France in April I forgot to obtain a new Controle Technique and which is the equivalent of the Spanish ITV. Ours runs out this week.

Went to ITV on Saturday and have an appointment for today explained French car French plates etc said 15h.15 for appointment today., Not a problem

I have read conflicting reports as to whether I will or will not get an ITV thoughts please
Old Jul 29th 2013, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ITV Ondara

Interesting to see the outcome!
I wonder how this squares with a report I read this week in a local English language newspaper which said that ITVs issued in one particular region of Spain were not 'legal' if the vehicle was registered in another region! An ITV had to be tested in the region in which the vehicle is registered
It went on to say that drivers were being fined for this.
Of course the report could be absolute rubbish, which is not totally unique in journalism.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not otherwise will have to drive to France and back

thanks
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
We drive French registered car and with approval from AXA to keep it in Spain until later in the year. When we left France in April I forgot to obtain a new Controle Technique and which is the equivalent of the Spanish ITV. Ours runs out this week.

Went to ITV on Saturday and have an appointment for today explained French car French plates etc said 15h.15 for appointment today., Not a problem

I have read conflicting reports as to whether I will or will not get an ITV thoughts please
Of course they will give you an ITV (provided it passes) but it will be useless.

The law is that the car has to be legal in it's country of registration - this means that a Spanish ITV is useless, much like an English MOT would be useless.

Your only choice would be to 'pop' back to France and get a proper "Controle Technique" or risk getting stopped and fined heavily!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Of course they will give you an ITV (provided it passes) but it will be useless.

The law is that the car has to be legal in it's country of registration - this means that a Spanish ITV is useless, much like an English MOT would be useless.

Your only choice would be to 'pop' back to France and get a proper "Controle Technique" or risk getting stopped and fined heavily!
The only "use" it would have would be to your insurance company.In the event of a claim they would/might need proof it was roadworthy.

Last edited by davidinspain; Jul 29th 2013 at 11:31 am.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
The only "use" it would have would be to your insurance company.In the event of a claim they would/might need proof it was roadworthy.
I think we may have all discussed this before but the insurance company are within their rights to refuse to payout as the vehicle is not legal in the country of registration.

At the end of the day, it's their decision as to whether they pay out or not and I, for one, wouldn't want to take that risk.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not illegal to insure a car with no ITV/MOT as an MOT only proves the car was roadworthy on the day it passed......most insurance companies don't ask for the MOT for minor claims and if it's more serious they look for an engineers report to prove the condition of the vehicle at the time of the accident......even if it has a current certificate they won't pay out if it has faults
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I asked Linea Directa if their policy is still valid without an ITV and they confirmed that it was.

As you say, it proves nothing apart from the fact that it was OK in the test shed. The brakes could fail on the way out.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:50 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I asked Linea Directa if their policy is still valid without an ITV and they confirmed that it was.

As you say, it proves nothing apart from the fact that it was OK in the test shed. The brakes could fail on the way out.
Ahh, but no doubt if you had an accident whilst on expired ITV, and made a claim, they'd probably decline cover on the basis there was no ITV :-)
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Ahh, but no doubt if you had an accident whilst on expired ITV, and made a claim, they'd probably decline cover on the basis there was no ITV :-)
They specifically said it would make no difference to any claim and I have it in writing.

There is no stated requirement for an ITV in the policy document.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Well for better or worse I went to the ITV yesterday and they gave me an 'Independent' ITV I do not want to use this wholesale but just to get me back to France. But then again I will have a problem if the Police upon my return if they see me driving a French car and which would have been the case for six months.

My insurers are AXA and they are relaxed as to the controle technique but come a claim?

Whatever I want to be legal and legal I will be but then the cost if we decide to stay to import a vehicle into Spain? I am informed that it is a minimum of 1000 euros? This is a French registered car purchased in France does that make a difference please?

Final point and I do not want to be provocative here. However yesterday I saw some Brit registered cars with G J and other plates and no tax disc. So here we have vehicles which have probably been in Spain for years with no insurance ITV etc etc. In fairness the same position applied in certain parts of France.

What then happens please
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Here not a battle between Spain and France but the cost in France is 136 euros plus the plates to import a vehicle. But I suppose in the round and with other costs/savings weather food climate whatever it is much of a muchness and it is your state of mind which is the main consideration with your happiness being paramount. There are many people worse off than I am so what am I complaining about.