Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain (what area)?

Moving to Spain (what area)?

Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

rachal1084 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain (what area)?

Hi

Me, my Husband and 2 year old son are looking to relocate to Spain, but not really sure where would be best for our needs, I am looking for somewhere on the Coast that has an all year round steady tourist trade as I am looking at opening a gift shop, I would also like somewhere with a comfortable Expat Community and obviously somewhere suitable to bring up a child, I understand that Spain is suffering with The Tourist Industry at the moment, and I know my requirements are probably quite nieve but if anyone has any advise it would be gratefully received

Thank you
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:02 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain (what area)?

Hi Rachel and good luck!
You will read a lot of negatives about doing this.
My only real advise to you is research everything you can...then research it all again!
You are aware of the difficulties Spain is facing economically but there are still new succesful businesses opening up.
You really have to tread the pavements, look at the competition, population and population types, you have to identify what you can offer that isn´t already being offered. Gifts shops are found in great numbers so I hope you have some good ideas for "special" gifts.
That said, in the small area we work, within the last six months five new businesses have opened. A wine shop, Opticians, English style tea room and an interior decoration shop. Two of those businesses have since opened a second in a near town due to the successes. I understand the other three businesses are very pleased with sales/foot fall etc.
The point I´m trying to make, don´t be put off too easily but tread very carefully and DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

Good luck!
Stu
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

No Stu

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, and your right about negative responses I have joined quite a few forums asking the same questions and received many negatives, I do understand some of them as I know moving to Spain is a lot harder than it looks, I have done it a few times but in different circumstances, the gifts I am looking to sell are the personalised sector aiming at children, the product really will sell itself and I know Spain hasn't got anything like this I have researched that side of it, it's difficult as I am shooting in the dark with what area will be suitable, I am hoping I can get enough replies to at least be able to short list my research. Thank you again for your reply
Old Jul 27th 2013, 11:48 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Okay Rachel,
You seem to know what your talking about so again good luck
We opened our business in Mijas Costa and are delighted so far with it´s performance.
We are situated equi-distant between two main cities (Marbella and Fuengirola) with a large ex-pat community.
Most of the surrounding area is residential so we are advised business doesn´t just stop at the end of summer like it does with many other coastal towns.
Fingers crossed!

I hope you make the right decision ... keep the faith! We need more positive people like you
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do Stu, if you don't mind me asking ?
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachal1084
No Stu

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post, and your right about negative responses I have joined quite a few forums asking the same questions and received many negatives, I do understand some of them as I know moving to Spain is a lot harder than it looks, I have done it a few times but in different circumstances, the gifts I am looking to sell are the personalised sector aiming at children, the product really will sell itself and I know Spain hasn't got anything like this I have researched that side of it, it's difficult as I am shooting in the dark with what area will be suitable, I am hoping I can get enough replies to at least be able to short list my research. Thank you again for your reply
I too wish you luck. I would question your claim that the product will 'sell itself', in my experience nothing sells itself. You say that "Spain hasn't got anything like this" that's a fair starting point. The bigger questions are; why not? Does Spain want it? and how will you tackle on-line competition? If you have really found a unique product then the world is your oyster.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

No Stu

Personalised with international names or focussing on English or Spanish?

Rosemary
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Juanma is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachel,

From the places I have been living for the last 10 years (Mallorca and Valencia) I would recommend you Valencia (the city) because it is a very nice city, with a steady growth of tourism and being a nice place to raise up children.
On the other hand and despite the actual economical situation, there are always opportunities. I must agree also that it is crucial to do a research and also contact with local commerce chambers, for example, that can provide you with more information on how to set up a business step by step (not sure if everywhere they will speak English...).
For Valencia I leave you a couple of links:
http://www.camaravalencia.com/en-EN/Pages/Inicio.aspx
http://www.visitvalencia.com/en/home

Good luck!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
Hi Rachel and good luck!
You will read a lot of negatives about doing this.
My only real advise to you is research everything you can...then research it all again!
You are aware of the difficulties Spain is facing economically but there are still new succesful businesses opening up.
You really have to tread the pavements, look at the competition, population and population types, you have to identify what you can offer that isn´t already being offered. Gifts shops are found in great numbers so I hope you have some good ideas for "special" gifts.
That said, in the small area we work, within the last six months five new businesses have opened. A wine shop, Opticians, English style tea room and an interior decoration shop. Two of those businesses have since opened a second in a near town due to the successes. I understand the other three businesses are very pleased with sales/foot fall etc.
The point I´m trying to make, don´t be put off too easily but tread very carefully and DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

Good luck!
Stu
Good to hear that at least in some places trade isn't as bad as it's constantly painted. As Spain receives 57 million tourists each year, there must be some areas that do well. I suppose the main criteria is choosing the location well - so you are in an area with plenty of footfall.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

I am really hoping that's the case, there will be something somewhere, I don't want to make millions, just enough to live a normal life in the sun, thank you for your reply
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:19 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am really hoping that's the case, there will be something somewhere, I don't want to make millions, just enough to live a normal life in the sun, thank you for your reply
If you do decide on a good location that provides the necessary footfall, your biggest battle will be negotiating a reasonable lease. It's often said that the best plan of action is to take over an existing business, so the licenses (and a certain amount of goodwill) are already in place.
Good luck
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, only thing that worries me buying a business is that I have heard that when you buy a business in Spain you take on the debt with it, plus my funds are limited, I was thinking maybe putting a feposit on a small villa, and renting the shop I see what your saying about leases and will look into that

Thank you for your reply
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:31 am
Not Banned (yet)

Thank you, only thing that worries me buying a business is that I have heard that when you buy a business in Spain you take on the debt with it, plus my funds are limited, I was thinking maybe putting a feposit on a small villa, and renting the shop I see what your saying about leases and will look into that

Thank you for your reply
Yes, make sure you get a good lawyer to check over possible outstanding debts before purchasing a business.

I don't know if this article covers all the details, but I'm sure others here will add their knowledge:

http://www.spainbusinessguide.com/wh...-contract.html

Never sign one of these contracts without first seeking advice
from a proper Solicitor or independent Gestoria. Certainly never
sign one of these with just the agent! You must be sure that
what you are being offered is first of all legal and not just a short
term rental contract.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jul 28th 2013 at 9:34 am.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving to Spain (what area)?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Yes, make sure you get a good lawyer to check over possible outstanding debts before purchasing a business.
Will do
Old Jul 28th 2013, 9:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

just remember sometimes it is easier (and cheaper) to not be the market leader.
it is only people with a really mindblowing unique product that remain at the top but at huge cost, such as coca-cola. Hoover were for decades but have lost out to the pack attitude of the competition

it all comes together when you look at your Business Plan, outgoings vs income vs drawings.

if you think it is doable then fine, subject to the proviso's others have given you such as location, footfall, price, access etc etc.
but even in places like Malaga and Marbella there can be less expensive parts, so long as you have somewhere for the interminable queue of cars trying to get to you. IME Spaniards are like Brits - won't walk too far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.