Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ITV (MOT) overdue

ITV (MOT) overdue

Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITV (MOT) overdue

Today, while sorting through various insurance policies etc I found that the ITV (MOT) for my (Spanish) car had expired in Feb this year.
Question is ,what should I do next?
If I take it to the ITV station for a renewal will I get a fine for using it for the last 8 months without the ITV? The car is in good condition and the insurance is up to date, it's just that I overlooked the renewal date for the ITV
Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ITV (MOT) overdue

Originally Posted by sparkyinspain
Today, while sorting through various insurance policies etc I found that the ITV (MOT) for my (Spanish) car had expired in Feb this year.
Question is ,what should I do next?
If I take it to the ITV station for a renewal will I get a fine for using it for the last 8 months without the ITV? The car is in good condition and the insurance is up to date, it's just that I overlooked the renewal date for the ITV
Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks
Just take it in.
But was it insured with no ITV ?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have any problem at the ITV station. You biggest risk is being stopped by the Guardia an the way to the test.

Make sure you book an appointment online at have the printout to prove it - there will then not be a problem if you are stopped.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But was it insured with no ITV ?
The insurance companies to not need sight of the ITV certificate and Linea Directa have confirmed to me that it is not a requirement of the policy to have a valid ITV.

An ITV certificate only proves that the car was roadworthy at the exact time it was tested - nothing more. The brakes could fail minutes later.

If you have an accident then the assessors and engineers will decide whether the car was roadworthy at the time and whether you were to blame if it wasn't. The ITV is meaningless in this context.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JDR & Fred for the quick replies, will take it in this week and let you know what happens
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The insurance companies to not need sight of the ITV certificate and Linea Directa have confirmed to me that it is not a requirement of the policy to have a valid ITV.

An ITV certificate only proves that the car was roadworthy at the exact time it was tested - nothing more. The brakes could fail minutes later.
If you have an accident then the assessors and engineers will decide whether the car was roadworthy at the time and whether you were to blame if it wasn't. The ITV is meaningless in this context.

Which makes me wonder why it's a requirement for UK policies, given that the circumstances are no different - the MOT proves the car was roadworthy at the time of testing, nothing else.
So would Linea Directa (& others) be ok with OP given it was an oversight or regard it as worthy of upping the premium next time round?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:39 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that you found it had run out. Did you not have a sticker to put in your windscreen? If you fail to display that then I understand that is also an offence and if not it would attract some sort of attention at a "control".
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw
Which makes me wonder why it's a requirement for UK policies,
It's not necessarily a condition of the policy (check the small print) - you merely need it as part of the process for taxing your car.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Well mine runs out on Friday and there is no way that I will be able to get to the ITV station by then as there is a 3 foot deep trench right outside my garage due to the local council deciding to dig up the road to replace the drains, and there's holes everywhere
I'm told that everyone was advised of these works and to take their cars out before work began. But unfortunately this was the week before we arrived

I had a word with my neighbour and am informed that so-long as I make an appointment after the work has finished, and drive the car directly to the testing station. I'm covered.

It's a bloody long hot walk back from the Mercodona in the meantime though.

Last edited by big wheels; Oct 12th 2009 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Well mine runs out on Friday and there is no way that I will be able to get to the ITV station by then as there is a 3 foot deep trench right outside my garage due to the local council deciding to dig up the road to replace the drains, and there's holes everywhere
I'm told that everyone was advised of these works and to take their cars out before work began. But unfortunately this was the week before we arrived

I had a word with my neighbour and am informed that so-long as I make an appointment after the work has finished, and drive the car directly to the testing station. I'm covered.

Maybe you need some bigger wheels to get over the trench. ;-)
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

put a couple of boards down and drive over it!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballin
put a couple of boards down and drive over it!
I still couldn't get anywhere. There are BIG holes at each end of the street and skips everywhere.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by big wheels

They deliver, look online for details.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
British MOT is only valid at time of testing also.
DSB.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:58 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
They deliver, look online for details.
and their delivery service is really efficient

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.