Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It's raining, it's pouring; this is getting boring....

It's raining, it's pouring; this is getting boring....

Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's raining, it's pouring; this is getting boring....

Originally Posted by fionamw
?? We don't want the warm air in the upper reaches of the (also sloping) ceiling in the winter........ if I understood convection x years ago and now, warm air rises so if you pump cooler air up why would the warmer air fall to replace it?
View it more as a mixing rather than replacing.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Work with natural convection rather than fight it. In summer pump air downwards; in winter pump it upwards.
Do you fit your dishes backwards too
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:27 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by fionamw
?? We don't want the warm air in the upper reaches of the (also sloping) ceiling in the winter........ if I understood convection x years ago and now, warm air rises so if you pump cooler air up why would the warmer air fall to replace it?
Natural convection of a room is like a doughnut. In the winter that is warm air rising in the centre of the room and sinking down the cooler walls. In summer this reverses. Air travels up aided by the heat in the hot external walls and sinks in the centre of the room. For the fan to work at maximum efficiency you don't want to be fighting this natural process.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:17 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

All anything like that does is to push against a gradient that immediately then reasserts itself.

Here's a stupid little idea that does work. In the corner under the highest point put a tube from a few inches below the ceiling to the ground where it plugs into a box holding a fan. The fan sucks the hot air down, and then this is the important part, it blows it out thru a slot at the bottom so that there is a flat fan of warm air that spreads out across the floor.

This will slide across the floor, sticking to the floor until it hits something, whether a chair or a person, whereupon the hot air starts to rise up around it.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:50 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
All anything like that does is to push against a gradient that immediately then reasserts itself.

Here's a stupid little idea that does work. In the corner under the highest point put a tube from a few inches below the ceiling to the ground where it plugs into a box holding a fan. The fan sucks the hot air down, and then this is the important part, it blows it out thru a slot at the bottom so that there is a flat fan of warm air that spreads out across the floor.

This will slide across the floor, sticking to the floor until it hits something, whether a chair or a person, whereupon the hot air starts to rise up around it.
That sounds like my sort of solution to a problem. How big the box, the fan and what sort of tube?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:40 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
That sounds like my sort of solution to a problem. How big the box, the fan and what sort of tube?
Sorry, N.P.I.

Were I trying this, I'd use a pipe that wasn't too much of an eyesore, maybe fit it in the corner, or else fit a strip of plaster board in the corner at 45 degrees to the wall, then construct the box at the bottom so that box, strip et al were airtight. That really shouldn't cost much. It's going to be trial and error. Pick an expel air, or something of that ilk that isn't too expensive to run and will be able to be run for long periods, so not too powerful, then set up a slot at the bottom. Some experimenting will be necessary, but the end result will be well worth it.

You can use this trick to rob warm air from the top of one room, and blow it into another. Don't just poke a hole as tin the event of a fire, that will allow smoke thru. With the fan system, when it is off, there will be little or no flow thru the tube.

Another trick I will be doing is a free heat transfer between two rooms, where the heater is against the wall that seperates the two rooms.

I plan to poke two holes in the wall, one at floor level and the other about a metre up. A length of metal pipe about 4" diam will pass thru the hole at the bottom, up the back of the heater where it will get hot, and then back into the room I want heated. The pipe will be sealed, and the wall around it sealed too. The air in the tube is heated and rises, so it sets up a flow whereby a % of the air in the bedroom will be warmed, without the danger of smoke transfer. Best of all, it's cheap to set up, and free to run.

If you want to stop it, just put a flap over the bottom, or pop a ball into the bottom pipe.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:30 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Sorry, N.P.I.

Were I trying this, I'd use a pipe that wasn't too much of an eyesore, maybe fit it in the corner, or else fit a strip of plaster board in the corner at 45 degrees to the wall, then construct the box at the bottom so that box, strip et al were airtight. That really shouldn't cost much. It's going to be trial and error. Pick an expel air, or something of that ilk that isn't too expensive to run and will be able to be run for long periods, so not too powerful, then set up a slot at the bottom. Some experimenting will be necessary, but the end result will be well worth it.

You can use this trick to rob warm air from the top of one room, and blow it into another. Don't just poke a hole as tin the event of a fire, that will allow smoke thru. With the fan system, when it is off, there will be little or no flow thru the tube.

Another trick I will be doing is a free heat transfer between two rooms, where the heater is against the wall that seperates the two rooms.

I plan to poke two holes in the wall, one at floor level and the other about a metre up. A length of metal pipe about 4" diam will pass thru the hole at the bottom, up the back of the heater where it will get hot, and then back into the room I want heated. The pipe will be sealed, and the wall around it sealed too. The air in the tube is heated and rises, so it sets up a flow whereby a % of the air in the bedroom will be warmed, without the danger of smoke transfer. Best of all, it's cheap to set up, and free to run.

If you want to stop it, just put a flap over the bottom, or pop a ball into the bottom pipe.
You wouldn't by any chance be a relation of Heath Robinson?.

Must admit I've made a few strange devices myself in the past to try and avoid expensive solutions to basically simple problems,normally using cheap materials or whatever was on hand or laid about.
Had a reasonable amount of success also,but once the solution began to appear too complex or complicated, I always knew when it was time to down tools and leave it to the experts.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Must admit I've made a few strange devices myself in the past to try and avoid expensive solutions to basically simple problems,normally using cheap materials or whatever was on hand or laid about.
Had a reasonable amount of success also,but once the solution began to appear too complex or complicated, I always knew when it was time to down tools and leave it to the experts.
Working most of my life as a plumber/heating engineer i lost track of the times I was called out to DIYers cock ups.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You must have met my OH then
Old Mar 28th 2010, 11:11 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Lessee. It's a metal tube a metre long with a 90 degree bend at each end.

How is that complicated?

It's exactly the same trick as bringing winter sunshine in. You put a box on the wall outside, and run a pipe thru the wall into it, one at top one at bottom. It heats up when the sun falls on it, and the air inside rises as it warms.

It's a simple, cheap and effective way of moving warm air from room to room without costing anything in running costs.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by bil
Lessee. It's a metal tube a metre long with a 90 degree bend at each end.

How is that complicated?

It's exactly the same trick as bringing winter sunshine in. You put a box on the wall outside, and run a pipe thru the wall into it, one at top one at bottom. It heats up when the sun falls on it, and the air inside rises as it warms.

It's a simple, cheap and effective way of moving warm air from room to room without costing anything in running costs.
We do that with all our rooms at a cheaper cost, we call them doors and have them open or shut depending on how much of the house we want to heat or cool.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
We do that with all our rooms at a cheaper cost, we call them doors and have them open or shut depending on how much of the house we want to heat or cool.
Ah,so you must live in one of them posh ones.

We do actually have a few doors here,but they seem to have fallen quite heavily of the back of a truck at some distant time in the past...(Valencian weekend job,say no more).
No two doors alike or even the same size,...one actually consists of bits of two others stuck together.
Don't seem to matter much whether they're open or closed, as the air seems to get past them quite nicely anyway,....so fortunately no great need to go knocking holes in the walls with associated pipework and all the rest thats involved.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 7:51 pm
bil
Banned

Well, due to the high ceilings and low door lintels, the heat does not transfer well, and to heat the bedrooms we want, even with all the doors wide open it has no effect worth a damn.

The pipe is a simple way of transferring energy.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:59 pm
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about

Well after an appalling wet and cold winter spring is finally showing through.
It was awful... damp cold ... much worse than the UK where buildings and heating systems can cope with it.
Hopefully the next backend will be warmer
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:15 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

And yet again.......had really nice weather for a few days.........reminded me I'm living in Spain and now raining for the last 2 days.

Last edited by Madridboy; Apr 14th 2010 at 10:19 am. Reason: Because I keep spelling things wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.