Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It's raining, it's pouring; this is getting boring....

It's raining, it's pouring; this is getting boring....

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's raining, it's pouring; this is getting boring....

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'll take that as a yes, then
No.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the shutters (every window and all but one door has them) are on the inside. Were like that when we bought the house. Not sure how we could retrofit anything outside, it's an old property all bar the extension bit at the rear & even that has been done *relatively* in keeping.
I've tried to describe the heating problems of our house, which are manifold, before. Essentially there are steps & stairs all over the place, making it multi-level which means description is even harder.... 'downstairs' there are 7 rooms, only three of which have doors which will isolate them from anywhere else. One is the kitchen, which has double doors to the dining room & an open stairwell to one 'upstairs, which in turn has three rooms only two of which can be closed off (and one's a bathroom!). The other 'upstairs' is two rooms, both with doors.
However the principal issue is the living room(s).... it's about 7m x 4m, plus a ceiling height ranging from about 3m to 4.4m (ish). The fire is in one corner. There are * the main entrance double doors *the archway to the dining room *the archway to the other living room *a small internal open window gap to the other living room.....
getting the picture? ie there's nothing bar curtains to stop the warm air from getting out to other rooms & a huge ceiling well to stop the warm air from being down where we are.
And no, of course we can't or won't change it very much; beams. Light fittings. blah blah.
Still it'll be summer soon. I keep telling myself. Didn't light the fire tonight, btw!!!!
Well, first off a pergola outside planted with grapes to shade windows has a number of functions. t's cooler underneath that in the full sun than if it were a solid roof, the leaves are late, so that in winter and spring the light shines thru, and it then stops the summer sun. Finally, of course you get free grapes!

Secondly, if that it too much trouble, then fit a crude roller blind on the outside, or a more formal shutter against the sun.

To close off doorways against heat, use a heavy curtain. We isolate the living room from the other rooms with a heavy material curtain, and that makes one hell of a difference.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:18 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

We've heard that idea; does it really work?
I've got the same, and yes it does work. I put fans up in every room 3 years ago and haven't used the air-con once since then. When I'm running the woodstove the living room fan is set to pump air upwards (aiding natural convection). As soon as it is turned on temperature goes up 4 or 5 degrees. Fans need to be big enough though. 150 cm minimum. A 90cm fan would be a complete waste of time. I've got a 90cm one in my box room and it's barely enough even in there. Big fans move lots of air, but they do it slowly and quietly.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
No.
Ok here's the space x for a scratching head smiley... you mean you've got them & don't agree?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, first off a pergola outside planted with grapes to shade windows has a number of functions. t's cooler underneath that in the full sun than if it were a solid roof, the leaves are late, so that in winter and spring the light shines thru, and it then stops the summer sun. Finally, of course you get free grapes!

Secondly, if that it too much trouble, then fit a crude roller blind on the outside, or a more formal shutter against the sun.

To close off doorways against heat, use a heavy curtain. We isolate the living room from the other rooms with a heavy material curtain, and that makes one hell of a difference.
Curtains.... tick (yes, heavy, floor length, lined) Living room window, front door 'windows' & dining room windows (s-facing) are all underneath the covered verandah so can't really get less sun than they do other than blackouts.... the w-facing window in the living room is so high we never particularly bother about it so has shutters & curtains drawn almost 365... Vines - well there are really only two logical places & that would only help, I suspect, in the summer when temperature isn't the problem; ok yes the house gets warm but not as bad as some more modern buildings because of our thick walls.
Essentially however much I think myself round in circles (will think about the fan idea) I consider the best prospect longer-term is installing central heating - messy, expensive, but would provide heat or at very least an ambient 'non-cold' which with thermostats would mean we weren't overheating little-used rooms. Just have to arrange that lottery win now.........
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:01 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
I've got the same, and yes it does work. I put fans up in every room 3 years ago and haven't used the air-con once since then. When I'm running the woodstove the living room fan is set to pump air upwards (aiding natural convection). As soon as it is turned on temperature goes up 4 or 5 degrees. Fans need to be big enough though. 150 cm minimum. A 90cm fan would be a complete waste of time. I've got a 90cm one in my box room and it's barely enough even in there. Big fans move lots of air, but they do it slowly and quietly.
Sure you got that right tele addict?
House full of fans of 150cm minimum,.....so whats the max?
Are you trying to achieve lift off into the great blue yonder, as a means of cooling your house?
Last sighted at 20,000ft heading towards Mallorca...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:02 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
All I am saying is don't get fans smaller than 150cm. And get ones that are aerodynamic, not these flat paddle things that incorporate a hideous light fitting. A big fan moves (and mixes) all the air in the room. It produces a light breeze throughout the room and can be turned down if considered too much.

A small fan on the other hand produces a small current of fast moving air that is very noisy and that only reaches one person at a once.

One brings comfort; the other is a nuisance.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

All I am saying is don't get fans smaller than 150cm.
Yes size does matter, mine is 135 cm and the wife is happy with it

Last edited by Fredbargate; Mar 24th 2010 at 9:43 am.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

All my bedrooms have sloping ceilings. Would I be able to safely fit ceiling fans?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 10:47 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the clouds!!!!!

View from our nearest web-cam is the same as we have right now !!!!!

http://www.cantueso.net/wordpress/web-cam/

Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
All my bedrooms have sloping ceilings. Would I be able to safely fit ceiling fans?
You need the hanging type not the flush fitting ones.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok here's the space x for a scratching head smiley... you mean you've got them & don't agree?
We only use our bedroom one in the summer to cool, but in the winter I would say you need the fan to move the warm air downwards from the ceiling height to where you are sitting.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

chris m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Are you trying to achieve lift off into the great blue yonder, as a means of cooling your house?
Last sighted at 20,000ft heading towards Mallorca...
untill i got to your reply was starting to yawn abit, but have been woken up laughing thanks
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
in the winter I would say you need the fan to move the warm air downwards from the ceiling height to where you are sitting.
Work with natural convection rather than fight it. In summer pump air downwards; in winter pump it upwards.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by raddickle
Work with natural convection rather than fight it. In summer pump air downwards; in winter pump it upwards.
?? We don't want the warm air in the upper reaches of the (also sloping) ceiling in the winter........ if I understood convection x years ago and now, warm air rises so if you pump cooler air up why would the warmer air fall to replace it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.