Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It's better in Spain than it seems?

It's better in Spain than it seems?

Old Oct 20th 2011, 5:56 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's better in Spain than it seems?

Why the Situation in Spain is better than it seems - an article from Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesle...than-it-seems/

Spain’s situation is, however, notably better than it was in the mid-1990s, despite many parallels. Like then, the public deficit stands at 7%, public debt has reached 70% of gross national product (and continues to grow at an alarming rate), there is 20% unemployment, and the reaction of the financial markets is only serving to make a bad situation worse. And just like then, Spain is highly likely to have a change of government soon.

Even with the destruction of nearly 2 million jobs since the crisis began, there are still more than 18 million people working in Spain, 50% more than the average for the two decades from the start of Spain’s democratic transition to the mid-1990s.
I'm sure some of his arguments are valid, but he glosses over too many weaknesses I think?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's better in Spain than it seems?

He has a point I suppose statistically. I was living in Spain in the mid-90's and this time seems much worse. Could be that in those days there was a lot less to close down so it just seems worse now. There was some unfinished blocks in the 90's but nothing like the present glut. Not sure what the unemployment rate was compared with now.

I would say there are less tourists around out of season than there were in the 90's. More Hotels now close in winter. Yesterday another 4* on marbella's golden mile announced it will close at the end of the month due to lack of bookings....but it could be because there are a lot more hotels than in the 90's
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:18 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Why the Situation in Spain is better than it seems - an article from Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesle...than-it-seems/

I'm sure some of his arguments are valid, but he glosses over too many weaknesses I think?
Hell, I don't know what we'd do without you Stevie boy.

Forever the eternal optimist,...... but for you we'd probably all have slit our wrists long ago.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

I've been reading and occasionally contributing to this forum for over three years and I have observed a daily dose of doom and gloom from the various threads. As a matter of interest, those of you who have long been members of this forum, was it a more cheerful place to visit before 2007?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
I've been reading and occasionally contributing to this forum for over three years and I have observed a daily dose of doom and gloom from the various threads. As a matter of interest, those of you who have long been members of this forum, was it a more cheerful place to visit before 2007?
Spain or the forum?

If you mean Spain then the answer for me is YES. Recent visits have served as a big warning to think very carefully before one makes the final decision to move. It would be a foolish man who does not listen to the sound advice from the seasoned expats.

If you mean the forum, I can't say. I imagine the same arguments were raging.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
I joined in March 2007 and one of my first ever posts said about how great it was living here and I was told off by a couple of members who said that it was alright for me as I did not have to work in the heat and they did. There was a good bunch of helpful members who were not argumentative but nevertheless there were a couple of protagonists.

Like anywhere else we are a mixed bunch and some force their opinions down your throat. It appears to be incorrect to have anything positive to say so I guess that the members who do not want to be continually criticised for their good thoughts on Spain tend to then not say much.

As for genuine doom and gloom I think that the crisis has had an effect on a great number of people and therefore there is bound to be more negative responses to issues.

My Spanish friends talk about the difficulties a lot of the time so they are not as cheerful as they used to be either. Saying that l am still very positive about living in Spain, love where we have chosen to live and would say that we did the right thing moving here. Things would actually be extremely positive for us even though we do not have much money but my OH´s health has put a huge blight on life for us. However this aspect is nothing to do with living in Spain so we do not allow it to colour our opinion of the country.

Rosemary