Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet speed help

Internet speed help

Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet speed help

I am achieving in excess of 30mpbs when I speedtest my android tablet and phone. When I test on my windows 10 laptop I struggle to get to 20 mbps and then that is variable (downwards). Upload speeds are also less.
Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet speed help

Might be your internet adaptor or wifi settings. Suggest you cable into the router then check, should be faster. Then revert to wifi and check settings you may need to upgrade driver on internet adaptor. Also distance to router can make a difference with walls etc causing slower speeds.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I am achieving in excess of 30mpbs when I speedtest my android tablet and phone. When I test on my windows 10 laptop I struggle to get to 20 mbps and then that is variable (downwards). Upload speeds are also less.
Any ideas/solutions would be appreciated.
Thanks
It could also be Windows is using the internet in the background, live tiles, adverts, updates etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that your router is giving you wifi signals at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? 5G is faster but some devices don't have the right adaptors for it. Newer ones are more likely to.

Could it be that your phone has a 5G adaptor but that your laptop is connecting to a 2,4G signal?

If you go into the config on your router you should be able to see whether there are indeed two bands and if so, which of your devices are connected to which. Sometimes it's not easy to tell without looking at the router config because they're often set up with the same name by default.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the replies.

I tried the suggestions without any luck but have just while "playing" and by pure chance changed my search engine from Chrome to AVG. Lo and behold the speed is now comparable with my android devices. I have now also tried using Microsoft Edge to browse and that too is up to speed.

It would appear that Windows 10 and Chrome are not compatible with each other (at least on my laptop).

I just cannot believe it was something that simple or why I didn't try changing search engines before but does beg the question why the two programmes are not compatible.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably because they are competitors.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Thanks all for the replies.

I tried the suggestions without any luck but have just while "playing" and by pure chance changed my search engine from Chrome to AVG. Lo and behold the speed is now comparable with my android devices. I have now also tried using Microsoft Edge to browse and that too is up to speed.

It would appear that Windows 10 and Chrome are not compatible with each other (at least on my laptop).

I just cannot believe it was something that simple or why I didn't try changing search engines before but does beg the question why the two programmes are not compatible.

Thanks again.
Didn't know about an AVG search engine. Is this a stand alone one like say Google which i can install and have an dedicated icon on my desktop or is it part of the larger AVG security package install and within which has a search capability?
Thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

It came as part of a free AVG security download. It has a dedicated icon that looks similar to Google Chrome that I have pinned to the task bar on my laptop. I don't know if it continues if you delete the AVG antivirus software.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I was dubious AVG had a search engine but according to Google (!)
AVG Secure Search is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will add the AVG Toolbar, change your browser homepage to mysearch.avg.com, and set your defaultsearch engine to AVG Secure Search.Oct 15, 2016

Sounds iffy to me but if it works for you fine.

Chrome is well known to be 'resource hungry' and of course as Windows 10 seems to get bigger every day (well every update) older laptops will slow down. I think IMO the market needs a simple to use/install/maintain basic operating system for those who want to do basic things and not all the irrelevant addon crap that windows now does.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
I was dubious AVG had a search engine but according to Google (!)
AVG Secure Search is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will add the AVG Toolbar, change your browser homepage to mysearch.avg.com, and set your defaultsearch engine to AVG Secure Search.Oct 15, 2016

Sounds iffy to me but if it works for you fine.

Chrome is well known to be 'resource hungry' and of course as Windows 10 seems to get bigger every day (well every update) older laptops will slow down. I think IMO the market needs a simple to use/install/maintain basic operating system for those who want to do basic things and not all the irrelevant addon crap that windows now does.
Well said, completely agree. Windows is far too clogged up with things that the average person has no need of whatsoever. There should be a "mini" alternative.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whilst I am not an expert I am sure Bill Gates and co do not want to maintain yet another system but surely they could create a 'mini' version of windows 10 called maybe Windows Very Basic without all the plethora of apps (yes apps is now parlance in windows as well as android) which don't reload and restart if you try and dump them.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like it's not supported by avg now and certainly not for windows 10. Whilst it is working ok I think I shall try another option.

https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N000000TnHiQAK
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

flexy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange post, since AVG is an Anti Virus/firewall, I don't even know where "search engine" comes in there? Also..internet speeds should not matter in regards to what browser (chrome, Firefox, IE you use). NEVER test internet speeds using wireless. Wireless will always be slower than a wire-connection via network cable to your router (which you got from your ISP), so your test over wireless will never show your actual *internet* speed.

From the linked site:
> cannot find a way to make AVG my default web browser.

Again, I am puzzled, AVG is not a browser. It's security/Anti Virus software. The software may include options for secure browsing etc...which any normal AV/internet security software provides and it usually installs web protection etc. automatically. (Like my NOD32 which I personally recommend). But there is no such thing as "making AVG your default browser", the sentence itself doesn't make much sense.

--> Any modern, good AV software like AVG, NOD32, Bitdefender etc., you just install and you should be good with default settings, there is no need to change anything or "set defaults" or anything the like. Web protection and similar features are automatically active, no matter what browser you use. (Chrome, IE, Firefox etc.).

If that AVG installs some kind of toolbar and calls it "search engine", this sounds very shady to me. After all, I install an anti virus to protect from bloat and toolbars, not to get them. Besides, web protection so you don't end up on malicious sites should be active anyway, there is no need someone would need an "AVG search engine" for "secure browsing" to know "whether sites you visit are safe". Any decent antivirus/internet security does this without a toolbar, in the background. Not only does it look shady to me, I mean you're saying you got performance problems with it as well. And Chrome absolutely works with Windows 10 although I am personally using FireFox.

Last edited by flexy123; Sep 12th 2018 at 9:38 pm.