Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Need advise: Working remotely from Spain for company in UK/NL etc.

Need advise: Working remotely from Spain for company in UK/NL etc.

Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

flexy123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advise: Working remotely from Spain for company in UK/NL etc.

I have some questions about working remotely in Spain for a company which is in NL.

My goal is to turn this job into a fully legal job w/ taxes and social security since we need health insurance like any other, normal person in EU.

* I reside 100% and absolutely only in Spain, so there is no question (from what I read) that I need to pay tax to the Spanish Social Security system. Check.

* Is it correct that for the company in NL to hire me as employee where they pay into the Spanish system, they will need a branch/presence here in Spain? (I am not 100% sure whether they have a branch in Spain, but it's possible so I can't exclude this option yet)

* If the company doesn't have a branch here in Spain for paying into the system here, is it correct that the only other alternative is that I register as autonomo (self employed) here? And then work via contract with the company in NL, and then it's on me to pay into the Spanish system, as an autonomo. Correct?

Could I even apply as becoming an autonomo here in Spain, WITHOUT currently not having an "official" income and no health insurance? <---- This is a Catch-22 situation here since I absolute need to and want to become legal and pay tax so we can get health insurance. Or can I simply apply for becoming autonomo (likely with the help of a gestor, I assume) without any special requirements?

* Let's say the company *has* a branch in Spain and could actually hire me on as an employee, would this be an easier, less complicated way [since, after all, all the tax stuff would then be done by the company] as compared to becoming autonomo? For the company to hire me then, would I just need my NIE? Or what would be the requirements?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th 2018, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

cat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need advise: Working remotely from Spain for company in UK/NL etc.

Originally Posted by flexy123
I have some questions about working remotely in Spain for a company which is in NL.

My goal is to turn this job into a fully legal job w/ taxes and social security since we need health insurance like any other, normal person in EU.

* I reside 100% and absolutely only in Spain, so there is no question (from what I read) that I need to pay tax to the Spanish Social Security system. Check.

* Is it correct that for the company in NL to hire me as employee where they pay into the Spanish system, they will need a branch/presence here in Spain? (I am not 100% sure whether they have a branch in Spain, but it's possible so I can't exclude this option yet)

* If the company doesn't have a branch here in Spain for paying into the system here, is it correct that the only other alternative is that I register as autonomo (self employed) here? And then work via contract with the company in NL, and then it's on me to pay into the Spanish system, as an autonomo. Correct?

Could I even apply as becoming an autonomo here in Spain, WITHOUT currently not having an "official" income and no health insurance? <---- This is a Catch-22 situation here since I absolute need to and want to become legal and pay tax so we can get health insurance. Or can I simply apply for becoming autonomo (likely with the help of a gestor, I assume) without any special requirements?

* Let's say the company *has* a branch in Spain and could actually hire me on as an employee, would this be an easier, less complicated way [since, after all, all the tax stuff would then be done by the company] as compared to becoming autonomo? For the company to hire me then, would I just need my NIE? Or what would be the requirements?

Thanks!
Hi there

Although I don't have any direct experience, I know that there are payroll services companies who could manage your PAYE and social security on behalf of the Dutch company.

I work remotely, based in Spain, for a South American company. Since they were reluctant to pay for such a payroll company, I invoice them monthly and am effectively a contractor therefore. It's easy enough. You register as an autónomo, contract a gestor to manage your quarterly and annual tax returns, and thereby qualify for healthcare. I'm not completely sure what your query is regarding whether you can become autónomo without an income and health insurance ... You become autónomo in order to gain an income, right? If you're already living here legally, there's no problem, Lots of autónomos have had no income for the first few months while they're starting up. No problem - you will be paying social security as soon as you register, so the government's happy. In your case, you'd probably want to coincide becoming autónomo with raising your first invoice, so that you're not in a situation of paying soc. security with no income.

Regarding your question of whether it would be easier to be hired by your company's Spanish branch, the I guess the answer is "yes". However, registering and working on an autónomo basis isn't at all difficult either, and if your company would have to jump through hoops to set up a branch and/or a special personalised payroll service just for you, then I would have thought going autónomo would be the better option.

If I've misunderstood, or can help with any more details, let me know.