Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet & Phone

Internet & Phone

Old May 13th 2011, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet & Phone

Basically my results show that my Vodafone 10 Mbs line is giving me half the speed of my old Telefonica 6 Mbs line
Old May 13th 2011, 11:26 am
Just Joined

bishbash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I use netconnect very cheap and a really good service give them a call.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bishbash
Hi I use netconnect very cheap and a really good service give them a call.
It's more expensive than Telefonica according to their web site
Old May 13th 2011, 4:04 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

i have run the speedtest a few time and get varying results...
obviously it is also wise to ensure all other connected PC / slaptops are not doing anything on the connection at teh same time you are running the test, as that will slow it down.

Sometimes, its just best to find a BIG file to downlaod...
speedtest gave me 8.something download speed
yet a BIG file on its own maxed out and recorded 10meg for the whole download...

remember that all companies only offer "speeds of up to x meg", not you will always get x meg...

yes telefonica may be expensive, yes it maybe a case of "better the devil you know"...but callthem up, speak to the operators and see if they can get the prices down.

Mitz : teletic...good reports and bad reports. just like all the others. Whats your speed / connection like to the Fonts ajuntamento ADSL like? To connect you do have to register for it, but hey its free - well in your taxes anyway! My village has free (well included in your taxes) wifi and i get more than 1m on that!
Old May 13th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

The speed you get will normally average out at about 80% of the advertised speed.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Has anyone use this company aeromax for internet & phone line without a landline:
aeromax relax 1
* Telephone All Inclusive: line rental, national flatrate
* Broadband Internet up to 1,5 mbps only 29,90 €

Please comment on the experiences on this company.
Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:46 am
Just Joined

readingroyals is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want to get rid of the Telefonica answerphone ,1004 is useless when wanting to cancel any service with sorry Movistar as it is now called. Too much baggage with the Telefonica name I suppose.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:25 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readingroyals
I just want to get rid of the Telefonica answerphone ,1004 is useless when wanting to cancel any service with sorry Movistar as it is now called. Too much baggage with the Telefonica name I suppose.

Welcome to the forum. Thats strange .... they have always responded quite quickly when I have spoken to them
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by readingroyals
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

We have always had great service from Telefonica, they respond immediately if there is a problem with the line.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 9:56 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Called Movistar at 930 this morning...no land line, its permanently engaged, and callers going direct to the answerphone. English operator withing 60 seconds, line now back at 1130 - engineer on his way up to check all is ok...

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 3rd 2011 at 10:10 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 6:47 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

we have taken up a rental in a small town near Granada. Can't have Telefonica landline in the middle of the town - because the street isnt finished and they refuse to use aerial bundling anymore, must be ducted but there is a 30m gap tween us and the house at the end with the connection. Our neighbours have same problem 90m from the house at the other end.

So went to Iberabanda, the wireless arm of Telefonica, and that has proved to be marvellous, consistantly 5-8mbs - better than we had in the flat in the city.
OH tells me the guy was helpful, set up her laptop and hasnt had a problem since installed last month.
Only problem is when the shuttters down she can't get the wifi - but I expected that.

only problem I have is with "motorboating" on skype, but that would appear to be a tech prob with landlines especially in the uk using BT networks, as I use skype for all my landline conversations now.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:23 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
we have taken up a rental in a small town near Granada. Can't have Telefonica landline in the middle of the town - because the street isnt finished and they refuse to use aerial bundling anymore, must be ducted but there is a 30m gap tween us and the house at the end with the connection. Our neighbours have same problem 90m from the house at the other end.

So went to Iberabanda, the wireless arm of Telefonica, and that has proved to be marvellous, consistantly 5-8mbs - better than we had in the flat in the city.
OH tells me the guy was helpful, set up her laptop and hasnt had a problem since installed last month.
Only problem is when the shuttters down she can't get the wifi - but I expected that.

only problem I have is with "motorboating" on skype, but that would appear to be a tech prob with landlines especially in the uk using BT networks, as I use skype for all my landline conversations now.
Some of our friends tried Vodafone wireless internet, and it worked fine for web surfing and is much faster than what Telefonica can provide.

But the problem is if you have Skype or use another Internet telephone service - it just doesn't work very well at all, there are big delays and noises and cut-out, so that's why we didn't get it.

We have just been visited by a local provider of WiMax services, which they claim gives us 4Mb internet speed (they say we get full 4Mb, not 600Kb like Telephonica delivers on their €75 per month 4Mb offering) and works perfectly with Skype and any internet phone. They even give you a local phone number and regular telephone connection with the service. €39.95 flat rate including IVA, and 1.9c per minute to land lines in most of the world.

The installation cost is €295 though, but they guarantee it will deliver as promised or they will demontage it and give the money back.

We are thinking of trying them. They seem to have a good reputation, but they only operate in Mallorca.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Topsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Has anyone use this company aeromax for internet & phone line without a landline:
aeromax relax 1
* Telephone All Inclusive: line rental, national flatrate
* Broadband Internet up to 1,5 mbps only 29,90 €

Please comment on the experiences on this company.
Thanks.
Have been connected to BroadBand with Aeromax for almost a year now. The internet is faster than our Broadband in UK - had absolutely no problems with the system nor contact with the Company. Their staff speak English which is very helpful until we are confident in our Spanish.
Started with Surf 1 ( 1.5mbps ) - fast - we don't upload films but use Skype video etc.
In a few days we are changing to Relax 1 to incorporate telephone. Yes it will cost Total 29,90Euros per month plus IVA 18% direct debit from bank.
They send you an email each month with attached invoice.
We are inland with no landline telephone connections possible.
Friends nearby also have Aeromax.

There will be some payments on day of connection - then rest by direct debit. I think 2 options are still available - our friend had equipment sent to him and installed small dish onto his tv aerial on roof / router himself with Aeromax calling to connect & activate.
As time was of the essence we had them come to do it all for I think a fee of 80Euros......in our opinion...well worth the cost !
Their engineer was very efficient and explained all in English. Now that we are adding telephone they are coming to change over router at no charge.

Have a look on their website.......
Our Relax 1 gives us Broadband 1.5mbps
+ telephone line rental plus free landline calls within Spain
You can opt into specified country calls (landline) for extra rental per month which can save you a lot if making frequent calls to one country.
Even so their charges per minute at present are as an example 2,90ct/min ( just under 3 cents per minute) to UK or Australia. There is no connection charge - you just pay by the minute for calls.
AND all calls between Aeromax customers (where-ever located ) are free.

We had initially limited our house choice because we needed telephone line to keep contact with our children who are scattered worldwide.....then heard about Aeromax.

As you can probably tell - we are a big fan of Aeromax ( and no we do not know anyone personally in the company ).
The Relax 1 is more than adequate for our needs at present....but there are other options for more mbps.

Hope this is of help in your decision