Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet & Phone

Internet & Phone

Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet & Phone

I'm still on my quest to get a new internet / phone provider. Have looked at RTN, Europa but someone mentioned Telitec to me also. I can see the Telitec mast in the distance (so I'm told) so in theory wireless internet should be no problem.

Anyone have any recent experience of the Telitec system please, as supposedly I can get high speed rather than the paltry .8Mb I have now
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet & Phone

I have a similar system down here and it works quite well. I have an issue with the contention ratio, but that is my provider, which terminates in the Moviestar network.
Looking at the internet blurb Telitec would seem to be offering more than my provider, so should be ok technically. You need to find out more about "up to" speeds and someone using their service to find out about customer service.

All I am really saying is that, technically, these systems work fine.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Ive regularly had people offering me 3 & 6 Mb here ... but they cant really do it, as I am on rural which struggles to make 1 Mb
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Internet & Phone

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm still on my quest to get a new internet / phone provider. Have looked at RTN, Europa but someone mentioned Telitec to me also. I can see the Telitec mast in the distance (so I'm told) so in theory wireless internet should be no problem.

Anyone have any recent experience of the Telitec system please, as supposedly I can get high speed rather than the paltry .8Mb I have now
We are on Iberabanda which is line of sight microwave similar to Teletec. We get 1Mb up and down so good enough for our uses Skype with video works fine. We pay 41€/mth including IVA and this gives us BB plus a landline telephone No. and 300min either Spain or back to UK and we use the UK option. The telephone No is important to us since two of our children back in UK have TalkTalk BB/phone with international option which gives them free unlimited calls to us on LL. We could choose 5Mb but that would cost about 90€. The kids have 6Mb and the rest costs £25.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:50 pm
Senior Moment

Ahh .. well, what Telitec dont tell you in their blurb is that they charge €99 to set the thing up, and €69 for a new wireless router, and then the monthly cost for a 2mb connection is €39.99. So I'd save €21 a month and get an extra mb .... so I suppose it would pay for itself in under a year
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Internet & Phone

Ahh .. well, what Telitec dont tell you in their blurb is that they charge €99 to set the thing up, and €69 for a new wireless router, and then the monthly cost for a 2mb connection is €39.99. So I'd save €21 a month and get an extra mb .... so I suppose it would pay for itself in under a year
Thats very steep we saw an offer of €60 set up then €41 per mth after that for Iberabanda. That included a "thingy" on the down line from the "dish" about 15" square and then a non-wireless modem/phone point.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:09 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

I am with Telitec for mine and my wife's mobiles. Best value 'pay as you go' that I have found. If I call my wife it's 15cents connection and first 10 mins free, otherwise it's 15c connections and 7cents a minute. To UK it's 35 c connection and 5.4 cents a min (although if I am at home I use a VOIP service (not Skype) which is free to all land lines and I can even call 0845, and toll free numbers in UK and USA for a small charge.

I did ask Telitec about changing my ADSL to them but they advised against it for where I am. (on CDS).

For ADSL I am with Jazztel. I am contracted for 20 mg and get around 9, which I believe is pretty good. The 54€ a month includes my phone line rental, and fixed line calls within Spain (excluding 902 etc numbers) IVA and answer service.

I am very happy with the service, never had any problems. The only drawback might be if one does not speak Spanish, as if one needs support it is almost always only in Spanish.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulianWard
I am with Telitec for mine and my wife's mobiles. Best value 'pay as you go' that I have found. If I call my wife it's 15cents connection and first 10 mins free, otherwise it's 15c connections and 7cents a minute. To UK it's 35 c connection and 5.4 cents a min (although if I am at home I use a VOIP service (not Skype) which is free to all land lines and I can even call 0845, and toll free numbers in UK and USA for a small charge.

I did ask Telitec about changing my ADSL to them but they advised against it for where I am. (on CDS).

For ADSL I am with Jazztel. I am contracted for 20 mg and get around 9, which I believe is pretty good. The 54€ a month includes my phone line rental, and fixed line calls within Spain (excluding 902 etc numbers) IVA and answer service.

I am very happy with the service, never had any problems. The only drawback might be if one does not speak Spanish, as if one needs support it is almost always only in Spanish.

Much more than with Telefonica then
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Much more than with Telefonica then
Not necessarily as his deal includes line rental.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

BillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really nice

I've been with Telitec for about 4 years (I'm in Pego). Currently we should receive 1mb, and whenever I've tested it it's between 0.9 and 1mb, They've recently upgraded the masts and we're due to upgrade to 2mb by the end of the month. I've always found it pretty reliable. I've just checked the speed and it's 1.5mb

I've recently been in the UK where we're supposed to get 3mb, and to be honest I don't really notice much difference (although I was only paying £5.99 a month in the UK), but hey we can't get a landline, so it's better than nothing. I've got a VOIP adapter which I use for calls, and although Telitec will give you an 0845 number you can set your own up with much cheaper calls.

As far as the router is concerned, you can buy your own, but the one I got from Telitec was a Linksys WRT54GL, which is a pretty good router, with an excellent wireless signal and is currently on Amazon for about £52, and €65 at Beep in Oliva.

One point I would make is that Telitec quote all their prices net of IVA, so it's plus 18%
Old May 13th 2011, 10:51 am
Senior Moment

One reason for dumping Telefonica I guess ..... I've never had a problem with them, but you can guess that this is almost unusable for €70 a month!

Download is 0.35 Mb/s
Upload is 0.27 Mb/ss
Ping 85ms

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 13th 2011 at 10:53 am.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

One reason for dumping Telefonica I guess ..... I've never had a problem with them, but you can guess that this is almost unusable for €70 a month!

Download is 0.35 Mb/s
Upload is 0.27 Mb/ss
Ping 85ms
Which site are you testing on?
Old May 13th 2011, 10:59 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Which site are you testing on?

www.speedtest.net
Old May 13th 2011, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Ok
I'm an unhappy customer of Vodafone on 10 Mbs
On Speedtest I get

Ping 138 ms
Download 8.50 Mbs
Upload 0.65 Mbs

On http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ testing on the Chicago server, I get

Download 2.50 mbs
Upload 0.60 mbs

When I had a Telefonica 6 Mbs contract I was getting in excess of 5 Mbs on the Speakeasy test, unfortunately I have no Telefonica data for Speedtest.

However if I take my laptop to my friend who lives very close to me and still has a Telefonica 6 Mbs line I get

Download in excess of 5 Mbs on the Speakeasy Chicago server
Old May 13th 2011, 11:21 am
Senior Moment

Confusing

I know its slow here because I can tell through page loading etc etc. I never got more then 1 m/s here because its rural. I phoned TF earlier and really just got fobbed off with the promise of a call back

I dream of a 2 mb connection FB
I was going to go with Vodaphone but glad I didnt from what I have read. Saw that Telitec are doing free installation right now so I have put a call in to them and waiting for a reply

Speedtest.net is using Spanish servers, Madrid or Elda normally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.