Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet Access in Costa Esuri

Internet Access in Costa Esuri

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Dave Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Access in Costa Esuri

I know this has been covered before, but I can't find thew relevant thread. Can anyone give advice on the best way to get internet access at Costa Esuri, I belive there are 2 options, one using a mobile phone, but I would prefer the sat dish option I know a few residents have. Could anyone provide contact details.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:03 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Access in Costa Esuri

Originally Posted by Dave Smith
I know this has been covered before, but I can't find thew relevant thread. Can anyone give advice on the best way to get internet access at Costa Esuri, I belive there are 2 options, one using a mobile phone, but I would prefer the sat dish option I know a few residents have. Could anyone provide contact details.
Hi Dave here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=32

I have the TMN dongle and am delighted with it. Its not mega fast broadband... but emails internet access and skype work well.

This is the best internet service Ive seen in Europe, for occasional visitors as opposed to full time residents

Good luck
Jon
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:12 am
jmw
Just Joined

jmw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave,

I purchased a movistar pay as you go internet sim which allows me to purchase 1GB of data for use in a week for 19.95 Euros. I ditched the dongle supplied and purchased a Nokia internet stick which opened this up to the fast speeds.

I top up my movistar account just before I leave the UK and I activate the one week bundle by sending a text message from the dongle when I arrive.

Always connects to movistar (when available) - however last night the thunderstorm took out the movistar signal and the dongle connected to a Portuguese signal. I did not use the internet during theis period as I would be on (very expensive) international roaming rates. movistar service available agin this morning.

John.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

linda and steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave,

If you require a permanent solution we are with Iberbanda which has various packages. We have the package for a telephone (300 free mins to UK per month) and internet for approx euro 45 per month. The signal comes from the large aerial on the hill as you come into Costa Esuri and is received by a small dish mounted on your premises. Have not had any problems with the system however the internet is not the fastest on the market but sufficient for us. The only problem is that your premises must be in line of sight of the aerial to pick up up the signal. You can order direct with Iberbanda (p.m. me for the tel number) or you can arrange via the internet cafe in Ayamonte.

Steve
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Internet Access in Costa Esuri

Hi Dave,

Yes there are 2 options but you also have the landline option as well. Depends where you are on Esuri but the early completions before Fadesa went belly up have a land line past the door so in theory you can have any of the hard wired providors and when the offers are on it seems to be about €40 per month.

Again depending on where you are located and if you are not here full time the Dongle may be the way forward again all the usual providors however Spanish providors seem to want you to sign up to a contract whereas the Portuguese providors sell you the dongle for about €50 and then top ups at €10 + for 10hrs + access. Most of Esuri is better covered by the line of masts on the Portugues side of the river.

We have used all of the options starting with a Poruguese Vodafone dongle which was great when we were not permanant and then when we became fulltimers swapped to Spanish Vodafone landline option with dongle backup (they then found out we had no landline so took it all back and we had to start again). Spotted a good offer from Iberabanda €41/month for BB, 300 mins to either Spain or other European country (we went for the UK option) and a landline number without the landline. This is great for us since 2 of our children in UK have TalkTalk and for £2 month they can ring land lines in 39 countries with a pre code.

However you must have line sight to the mast on the hillock in the fish farm because the system is carried on microwave which does not bend. Not all manzanas can do this but many are OK. Also for the €41 you only get 1 meg up and 1 meg down but thats good enough for us.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 23rd 2011 at 10:58 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Dave here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=32

I have the TMN dongle and am delighted with it. Its not mega fast broadband... but emails internet access and skype work well.

This is the best internet service Ive seen in Europe, for occasional visitors as opposed to full time residents

Good luck
Jon
Thanks Jon
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmw
Hi Dave,

I purchased a movistar pay as you go internet sim which allows me to purchase 1GB of data for use in a week for 19.95 Euros. I ditched the dongle supplied and purchased a Nokia internet stick which opened this up to the fast speeds.

I top up my movistar account just before I leave the UK and I activate the one week bundle by sending a text message from the dongle when I arrive.

Always connects to movistar (when available) - however last night the thunderstorm took out the movistar signal and the dongle connected to a Portuguese signal. I did not use the internet during theis period as I would be on (very expensive) international roaming rates. movistar service available agin this morning.

John.
Thanks for the info John

Regards

Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Dave,

Yes there are 2 options but you also have the landline option as well. Depends where you are on Esuri but the early completions before Fadesa went belly up have a land line past the door so in theory you can have any of the hard wired providors and when the offers are on it seems to be about €40 per month.

Again depending on where you are located and if you are not here full time the Dongle may be the way forward again all the usual providors however Spanish providors seem to want you to sign up to a contract whereas the Portuguese providors sell you the dongle for about €50 and then top ups at €10 + for 10hrs + access. Most of Esuri is better covered by the line of masts on the Portugues side of the river.

We have used all of the options starting with a Poruguese Vodafone dongle which was great when we were not permanant and then when we became fulltimers swapped to Spanish Vodafone landline option with dongle backup (they then found out we had no landline so took it all back and we had to start again). Spotted a good offer from Iberabanda €41/month for BB, 300 mins to either Spain or other European country (we went for the UK option) and a landline number without the landline. This is great for us since 2 of our children in UK have TalkTalk and for £2 month they can ring land lines in 39 countries with a pre code.

However you must have line sight to the mast on the hillock in the fish farm because the system is carried on microwave which does not bend. Not all manzanas can do this but many are OK. Also for the €41 you only get 1 meg up and 1 meg down but thats good enough for us.
Thanks John

My house is in Manzana 5 facing north so will have no problems with line of sight to the mast. I will also look to see if I have the landline option as I never realised there where any.

Regards

Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by linda and steve
Hi Dave,

If you require a permanent solution we are with Iberbanda which has various packages. We have the package for a telephone (300 free mins to UK per month) and internet for approx euro 45 per month. The signal comes from the large aerial on the hill as you come into Costa Esuri and is received by a small dish mounted on your premises. Have not had any problems with the system however the internet is not the fastest on the market but sufficient for us. The only problem is that your premises must be in line of sight of the aerial to pick up up the signal. You can order direct with Iberbanda (p.m. me for the tel number) or you can arrange via the internet cafe in Ayamonte.

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks John

My house is in Manzana 5 facing north so will have no problems with line of sight to the mast. I will also look to see if I have the landline option as I never realised there where any.

Regards

Dave
There are lots of Manzana 5 on CE but best to be careful with what you post on the open part of the forum. If the front is N. facing then the back should be south and that is where they would put the squareairel to look at the fish farm which is due south of all property on CE. The landlines cover Marina Esuri through to Lomas but although we look directly at Lomas and are less than 250m as the crow flys from a major distribution box we do not have any land lines.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

See useful information thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=613652&page=3
for Iberbanda option. I have the TMN dongle which can be a bit slow sometimes and all the support information is in Portuguese which doesn't translate well on Google - buts is OK for email and occasional use
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

I have just had the Iberbanda Sat dish fitted for phone and internet access, which is working great. The only problem I have is it is fitted into the bedroom so I was looking to get wireless router for it, but having problems getting one , which works. Has anyone got Iberbanda Sat dish fitted and been able to connect a wireless router to it, if so could you please let me know what make and spec router you have.

Regards Dave
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have just had the Iberbanda Sat dish fitted for phone and internet access, which is working great. The only problem I have is it is fitted into the bedroom so I was looking to get wireless router for it, but having problems getting one , which works. Has anyone got Iberbanda Sat dish fitted and been able to connect a wireless router to it, if so could you please let me know what make and spec router you have.

Regards Dave
Hi Dave,

Thats exactly the set up I have and I am responding on this set up now. You will know from the thread that I have been frustrated by first Telephonica then Vodaphone Spain so Iberabanda was my third and successful try. Been up and running now since November on the offer of €41 inc for 300mins to UK and paid calls to Spain. Provides 1k speed up and down plus 959 phone number so ticks all the boxes. Average cost since Nov about €46 but need to concentrate on keeping calls to time to hit the €41 mark.

What you need is a CABLE router most brands make them but they are usually cheaper in UK than the ADSL equivalent. You will already have the small white box which converts the signal from the dish and the modem with VOIP blue box. You plug the cable wifi router into the blue box and your off.

I had a BELKIN cable router in MK and liked it so I had a look at their range and went for the top model Double n+ wireless router Model F6D6230-4 v1 This has proved brilliant with all the re-inforced concrete in my house it covers all three stories and has a good radius of about 75m. Not cheap when I bought it at Christmas but there are cheaper ones about check the internet for a Cable router and you will find dozens in all price ranges from about £20 up to a couple of hundred.

Amazon has a big selection. I got mine from Broadband Buyer in MK as I did the last 2. Check mine out you can sit outside the gate and pick it up but you won't log on without the Key. All our visitors with the fancy mobiles pick it up all over the plot and when I give them the key they are away on the 3x2 screens.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Go on - be a sport. What's your key?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Go on - be a sport. What's your key?
Its the dogs bo***cks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.