Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet Access

Internet Access

Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice
Default Re: Internet Access

Originally Posted by Jur
Pfff, you got me there, try posting in the Portugal forum.....
Come on now Jur, you always come up trumps!!

I'll give the Portugal thread a go.

Cheers
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlandEve
Hi all,

I have internet access in the apartment via a HSPDA dongle I purchased in the TMN shop in VRS....

The dongle cost 60 Euro's (one-off cost), and you can buy hours of internet access at 10 Euro's for 10 hours. Unlimited data xfer during this time.

I pick up a strong UMTS signal from Portugal (dont buy the dongle from Spain, the portugal signal is much stronger).

The sim card expires after 3 months of no usage, but a new card costs 14 euro's (and you get 10 euors of free credit)..

Speed download 1536Kbps, upload is 404Kbps which is roughly what I get on ADSL at home ...

Browser speed is excellent also SKYPE, email working just fine ....

This is a cheap way of having internet access in the apartment

AlandEve
I got the TMN dongle works fine Thanks AlanandEve

... a couple of points though

DONT use disconnect from the start menu...network centre. Connect and disconect from the little software ap that they gave. The system doesnt like it and you have to reload the s/w to enable the device.

It took me quite a while at first to get it up and running, so give yourself time.

The shop told me that the only way to charge the card was to return there or go to Multibank... I asked if I could go to a kiosk, and she said no.

I bought an extra 10 hrs to make 20 in all and I get that for a full 6 months. We goto VRSA often enough for me to recharge... with this method. Just take the card with you to recharge, no need to bring the dongle.

To get to the shop, walk up the pedestrian section with Marina behind you, to the end. Here you meet a road, turn left and its 20 yards there. If you are at the roundabout with the garage, market and the statue on it, youve gone a block to far.

Its not lightning quick, but works well. But I do work off line and then go on and send/receive. I'm doing this in Notepad, and will - open internet + cut'n'paste it into the reply box + close - and so not waste the minutes

Very handy.

Thanks again

Jon

Ps if you go with Vodaphones offer, DONT upgrade the software, my friend has lost access as a result.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

AlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant future

re buying credit ...
I have purchased credit in 2 different newspaper shops in VRS .. (kiosk near the ferry terminal, and one just off the square), both worked fine ..

I'm glad it worked out..

AlandEve
Old Oct 18th 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Internet Access

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I got the TMN dongle works fine Thanks AlanandEve

... a couple of points though

DONT use disconnect from the start menu...network centre. Connect and disconect from the little software ap that they gave. The system doesnt like it and you have to reload the s/w to enable the device.

It took me quite a while at first to get it up and running, so give yourself time.

The shop told me that the only way to charge the card was to return there or go to Multibank... I asked if I could go to a kiosk, and she said no.

I bought an extra 10 hrs to make 20 in all and I get that for a full 6 months. We goto VRSA often enough for me to recharge... with this method. Just take the card with you to recharge, no need to bring the dongle.

To get to the shop, walk up the pedestrian section with Marina behind you, to the end. Here you meet a road, turn left and its 20 yards there. If you are at the roundabout with the garage, market and the statue on it, youve gone a block to far.

Its not lightning quick, but works well. But I do work off line and then go on and send/receive. I'm doing this in Notepad, and will - open internet + cut'n'paste it into the reply box + close - and so not waste the minutes

Very handy.

Thanks again

Jon

Ps if you go with Vodaphones offer, DONT upgrade the software, my friend has lost access as a result.
bugger
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:32 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
bugger
I dont think John is calling ME names here..... he has vodaphone and the upgrade!! and thats the bugger, no internet and resumed trips to the club!

AlanandEve thanks for the update on the reloads - good to know that it is more widely available.

Sending email from home... this is a great system, thanks again AlanandEve for opening this thread, made a good differnece to me. IOU a drink at the club (or elsewhere)

All the best

Jon
Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Internet Access

I dont think John is calling ME names here..... he has vodaphone and the upgrade!! and thats the bugger, no internet and resumed trips to the club!

AlanandEve thanks for the update on the reloads - good to know that it is more widely available.

Sending email from home... this is a great system, thanks again AlanandEve for opening this thread, made a good differnece to me. IOU a drink at the club (or elsewhere)

All the best

Jon
Definitely not no an extra trip to Tavira today and they Vodaphone have sorted the upgrade to 1.94 and it works fine.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:48 am
BE Positive

re buying credit ...
I have purchased credit in 2 different newspaper shops in VRS .. (kiosk near the ferry terminal, and one just off the square), both worked fine ..

I'm glad it worked out..

AlandEve
Quick question: Is there a way to see how much credit I have left - on TMN - so it doesnt just switch off on me please? The statistics piece of the s/w just shows the amount up/downloaded...

Thanks
Jon
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Although I haven't yet been in - there is a TMN store in the Algarve Forum in Faro.
The address in VRSA is DTMF - VRSA
Rua Ministro Duarte Pacheco, 58
8900 000 Vila Real Sto. Antonio
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:16 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Although I haven't yet been in - there is a TMN store in the Algarve Forum in Faro.
The address in VRSA is DTMF - VRSA
Rua Ministro Duarte Pacheco, 58
8900 000 Vila Real Sto. Antonio
Thanks Mike - there is also a TMN shop in the big new commercial centre in Tavira.

Im sitting with John and it appears that we are at the same speed between Vodaphone (his) and TMN (mine)...

Also a wonderful high quality video can be found on

http://www.tubewatcher.tv/182

This is also a test of the speed of the 2 connections and due to the volme involved, this takes too long to download... so we are not at Broadband speeds with it, as at home I see it straight away.

However these are great gadgets!

I think John's software is better though.....

Jon
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

dennis taylor is an unknown quantity at this point

i have just come on this site but i would be very pleased if you can help me
i have returned to uk and lived in and worked in spain for more than 20 years and i have paid into social security pension for 15years and now coming up to 65 i need to apply for payment i have searched the net to apply but i cannot get anywhere this is very frustrating CAN ANYONE HELP
many thanks
dennis
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennis taylor
i have just come on this site but i would be very pleased if you can help me
i have returned to uk and lived in and worked in spain for more than 20 years and i have paid into social security pension for 15years and now coming up to 65 i need to apply for payment i have searched the net to apply but i cannot get anywhere this is very frustrating CAN ANYONE HELP
many thanks
dennis
Hi Dennis

I have moved this post to the main Spain forum and titled it "Pension advice needed."

You should get a better response there.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

dennis taylor is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks
dennis
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

AlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant futureAlandEve has a brilliant future

Quick question: Is there a way to see how much credit I have left - on TMN - so it doesnt just switch off on me please? The statistics piece of the s/w just shows the amount up/downloaded...

Thanks
Jon
Hi Jon,

If you click on the "Registos" button, it gives you a table of data including KB downloaded and time connected.
At the bottom of the table there is a "Apagar" button (Erase).
You can keep track of the time connected using the table and then erase the contents when you buy new credit to keep track of how much left..

Alandeve
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:28 am
BE Positive

Hi Jon,

If you click on the "Registos" button, it gives you a table of data including KB downloaded and time connected.
At the bottom of the table there is a "Apagar" button (Erase).
You can keep track of the time connected using the table and then erase the contents when you buy new credit to keep track of how much left..

Alandeve
Thanks Alanandeve

Problem is that I have the software in English and cant find any button - Where can I find it please - and thanks for all the help on this....

BTW you can purchase credit at any ATM-MULTIBANCO as well - Im sure you know that - but just in case

Thanks again for all the tech support!
Jon