Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Internet Access

Internet Access

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Access

Originally Posted by John and Lynn
You sure you are not ex-police. How can they catch him, its just like having 3or 4 laptops in the same house using the same connection. Anyway, not my problem, I got my own.
In the same house is fine, reselling is naughty it`s fraud, if they check they can tell where it is being used.
Lots of Sky resellers and their clients are being arrested in Spain at the moment too
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
In the same house is fine, reselling is naughty it`s fraud, if they check they can tell where it is being used.
Lots of Sky resellers and their clients are being arrested in Spain at the moment too
it's also not very sensible to let other people onto your network - no matter how much you think you can trust them. It's extremely easy to find out all sorts of useful (to a fraudster) data like your passwords, bank account details, paypal account, etc etc and then to impersonate you.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Internet Access

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi JDR+John

Im guessing John got a local contract as he already has a local phone... but John if you went with vodaphone Portugal, how do the prices compare with Alandeve's solution, please?

Thanks
Jon

PS John sent you email.....
Hi Jon have not seen the email yet Kath picked it up on the PC at home so cant get it on my lappy.

Went with vodaphone cos it only cost €40 including the 1st €10 for 10hrs use. Shop just by the Spanish Consulate in VRSO and you can top up online and it does not expire. Read all about it on the Portugal thread.

No JDR I do not get caught for roaming since the VP signal is very good at our place.

I have tried to get the same thing in Spain but they are all on contract.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Jon have not seen the email yet Kath picked it up on the PC at home so cant get it on my lappy.

Went with vodaphone cos it only cost €40 including the 1st €10 for 10hrs use. Shop just by the Spanish Consulate in VRSO and you can top up online and it does not expire. Read all about it on the Portugal thread.

No JDR I do not get caught for roaming since the VP signal is very good at our place.

Coo, that is handy for you then John, saves paying contract fees.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:18 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

This is really good news - I only wish I had known about it before the summer! I too had tried in the shops in Spain, but was only offered contract and if you can get at good VP signal I know I'll be able to too
Sharon

Question for John - have just read the stuff in the Portugal forum - did you buy VitaNetLite or VitaNetPlus in the end (or neither because Vodafone have a different option?)
thanks - Sharon

Last edited by tednsharon; Aug 24th 2009 at 7:25 am. Reason: Added a bit ...
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:20 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by MikeJ
it's also not very sensible to let other people onto your network - no matter how much you think you can trust them. It's extremely easy to find out all sorts of useful (to a fraudster) data like your passwords, bank account details, paypal account, etc etc and then to impersonate you.
Not to mention what they download, although apparently Spain allows music downloads as Zapo said the government would take no action against down loaders, which has upset the Yanks and the Brits.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tednsharon
This is really good news - I only wish I had known about it before the summer! I too had tried in the shops in Spain, but was only offered contract and if you can get at good VP signal I know I'll be able to too
Sharon

Question for John - have just read the stuff in the Portugal forum - did you buy VitaNetLite or VitaNetPlus in the end (or neither because Vodafone have a different option?)
thanks - Sharon
And another question..... for John, dos the initial 40E include the HSDPA dongle.... and are you also getting near ADSL speeds, please.

Thanks
Jon
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tednsharon
Sharon

thanks - Sharon
Vitanetlite to test the system out I can upgrade later to Plus but it has downsides as well. We tested out the signal before we bought went to Manta Rota where we had lost the Movistar signal on my Spanish Sim. My phone is set to manual so that I dont get caught for roaming. I then retuned to Vodaphone Portugal and then when we got back sat on the terrace and looked at the the signal strength. Max coverage! not suprising really there is a socking great phone mast on the top of a hillock on Castro Marim Golf that you can see plain as day.

PS. There is a thread on here on SIMYO (I think thats the name) where if if you unlock the dongle and get one of their sims the price of time is less but of course I do not know what signal strenght we would get on SIMYO on Esuri. So more expirments for the future!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Aug 25th 2009 at 6:32 am.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And another question..... for John, dos the initial 40E include the HSDPA dongle.... and are you also getting near ADSL speeds, please.

Thanks
Jon
Yes and Yes but I suspect speeds may vary and not so fast on uploads on my home PC in MK I get 6.3 mb down and 0.45mb up so I am spoilt.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Aug 25th 2009 at 6:33 am.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:26 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future

Vitanetlite to test the system out I can upgrade later to Plus but it has downsides as well. We tested out the signal before we bought went to Manta Rota where we had lost the Movistar signal on my Spanish Sim. My phone is set to manual so that I dont get caught for roaming. I then retuned to Vodaphone Portugal and then when we got back sat on the terrace and looked at the the signal strength. Max coverage! not suprising really there is a socking great phone mast on the top of a hillock on Castro Marim Golf that you can see plain as day.

PS. There is a thread on here on SIMYO (I think thats the name) where if if you unlock the dongle and get one of their sims the price of time is less but of course I do not know what signal strenght we would get on SIMYO on Esuri. So more expirments for the future!
Thanks John - look forward to hearing how you get on
Sharon
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alandeve

Great, thanks.

I also did a bit of research and came across these products

The new skypephone with it built in, a bit more expensive, but if I understand it right (and I probably dont) you can have the PC at home and sit on the terrace blabbing away - without having to have a headset plugged into the PC - when making Skype calls... and when not just surf away on the net using the dongle

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/2...pa-dongle.html

Also this looks interesting - unblocked

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3G-HSDPA-USB-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Although rather than trying to be 'clever' I think I'll go with the product that works i.e yours!

But if anyone has any comment on the 2 products please let me know.

Also since the new EU laws came into play for international roaming, bringing the price down, I made a big change on my cellphone contract - I switched to pay-and-go.. as all international calls are the same price for us. I've already saved.

The great thing also is that I can reload on the internet, without having to go to shops to get cards etc.

Alandeve does your system also alow you this to save having to go to the shop?

Thanks again for the information...
Jon

Hi John

Thanks for this - here is an earlier post I made with an unblocked dongle - but I have no idea if it works.... if it does SIMYO will work it seems.

You are spolied with the internet you have at home..... but I wonder if Alandeves system is faster in CE - just scroll back over the past 2 pages for the kind of speeds they can get.... have you tried to analyse the speed with yours at CE??

Here is their feedback (quote)

Speed download 1536Kbps, upload is 404Kbps which is roughly what I get on ADSL at home ...

I am surfing via my dongle, out on my balcony .. yesterday I was lying in the sunshine, listening to Test Match Special on the bbc website, while my daughter was downloading pictures to FaceBook ...

I dont like the fact that I have to go to a booth for the upgrade, but we are in Portugal so often - it wont be a problem in reality

See you soon

Jon
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Anyone able to give me directions to the Vodafone shop please as I don't know where the Spanish Consulate is.
Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:56 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyS
Anyone able to give me directions to the Vodafone shop please as I don't know where the Spanish Consulate is.
Thanks
This is what a google search came up with: http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&rl...G=Buscar&meta=
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jur
This is what a google search came up with: http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&rl...G=Buscar&meta=
Thanks Jur; it was actually the one in VRSO that I was after. I have a vague recollection it might be on the main road heading out of town in the direction of Tavira.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:54 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Pfff, you got me there, try posting in the Portugal forum.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.