Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

International data simcard

International data simcard

Old Jun 5th 2016, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

glaisboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International data simcard

Hi I am interested in a data sim for my iPad so I can use it at the apartment just for catching up with news/sport/events etc.I don't need calls or texts just data. Has anyone bought one recently and if so what are costs for 3 gb of data on a payg basis .Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International data simcard

I had a Wifi Dongle from Vodafone Portugal, Meo also do one as well. Once you have the kit you could choose Data or time as the cost base.

I am on Las Encinas and found PT was always the better signal over Spanish providers
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how long you stay in Spain at any one time I have a Three data sim, purchased in the uk but it allows roaming in Spain at no extra cost.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/search...ariff=0to49.99
Old Jun 6th 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 3G PAYG data SIM from MEO in VRSA - cost €10 but with €10 credit (i.e. effectively foc) but make sure you get the data SIM as they are not keen on swapping them if they sell you the wrong one The charge is 1€ per day and you can preload as much value as you want. I used it for low use internet using a mifi router for local wifi.
I don't think you can get PAYG 4G SIMs anywhere yet.
I have priinet internet now and it seems to be working quite well (touch wood)
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

I looked on the web and its a minefield there is such a range .I normally stay for around 2 weeks so a 30 day payg sim would be about right . Three 3 have good offers and I noticed Tesco are allowing you to use your own package abroad free of charge before the summer 2017 blanket use in UK mobile companies change.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 8:26 am
Montesol, Ayamonte

maccro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I have a 3G PAYG data SIM from MEO in VRSA - cost €10 but with €10 credit (i.e. effectively foc) but make sure you get the data SIM as they are not keen on swapping them if they sell you the wrong one The charge is 1€ per day and you can preload as much value as you want. I used it for low use internet using a mifi router for local wifi.
I don't think you can get PAYG 4G SIMs anywhere yet.
I have priinet internet now and it seems to be working quite well (touch wood)
Yoigo do a 4g payg deal - 1 gigabyte of data every 30 days for 10 euro .
https://tienda.yoigo.com/solo-sim/la-del-uno-1-gb

Sim can be ordered on line or Yoigo may still have a shop in Ayamonte. (I have no connection with the company, other than a current 3g payg sim that I'm thinking of upgrading)
Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

I have thought about priinet but I am only out there for around 4-5 weeks per year so I thought it may be a poor investment at 20-25 euros per month for a casual user
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really niceAndyS is just really nice

Originally Posted by glaisboy
I have thought about priinet but I am only out there for around 4-5 weeks per year so I thought it may be a poor investment at 20-25 euros per month for a casual user
Hi,
You only need to pay the higher rate for the time you are there. Rest of the time they will reduce the monthly cost to 6 euros (I think). Check out their website for details.You just need to be organised to give sufficient notice to turn it off and on.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I think its 7 Euros..

but (say) 11 x 7 and 1 x 25 could still be expensive for glais boy.

Billing starts 5th of the month and you need to give notice as Andy says.

Note that you pay a full month (which seems fair)... so if you arrive (say) 30th August till 14th September you are paying 25Eur for the top service x 2, as you are within the 2 periods. Commencing 5/8 and 5/9.

This means the NOTICE you need to give is before the 5/8 switch on point. So about 6 weeks - ish before your trip. In this hypothetical example

They are a small business and I don't know if you'd actually have a problem asking for a switch on later. Ive always given notice as we know 6 weeks + before arriving.

I was told that the 7Eur gave a very slow basic service but they cut me off this time so I have just (by coincidence) sent a mail to them to query what you get for the 7Euros .. and if that has changed. (Not that it really bothers me - as we aren't there - but I have asked for completeness. If we arrive say the 3rd Id be happy with something slow for a couple of days - rather than forking out a full 25eur - for the top service option)

I am really pleased to report that the speeds are up as contracted - maybe a tad more and that.

So for us this is an excellent service that now is delivering

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jun 10th 2016 at 10:40 am.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

I finally opted for a 3 Three Sim for £10 .90 Sterling from eBay which gives me 3gb for 90 days.Its policy is although it's a UK sim it can be used in 18 European Countries inc Spain. I am over tomorrow so the test will begin.Thanks for your comments.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

soyrosa is an unknown quantity at this point

Check Vodafone Spain, they've lifted the roaming charges so now you can use it everywhere (pick Portuguese signal too) at not extra cost.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

I picked up a Vodafone brochure and it states that roaming charges are being lifted in Spain which is ace ,but in the UK only new contracts are being subsidised -sorry my dislike for UK Vodafone is becoming obvious.Anyway things are getting better and my £10.90 sim although only 3G is ticking along quite nicely.Thanks SoyaRosa
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Regarding my 3 three- sim I have used it everyday ,hot spotted my mobile and I have still got over 1Gb left, so for someone who does not have wifi in my apartment yet ,it's been a great bonus,being 3G it can be a bit slow but for a tenner good value.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

I have noticed antennas guidiana has its own internet similar to priinet (I think ) does anyone have it ? if so is it reliable enough to stream tv and finally which is the best value
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glaisboy
I have noticed antennas guidiana has its own internet similar to priinet (I think ) does anyone have it ? if so is it reliable enough to stream tv and finally which is the best value
it is a 4G system and will not be available on Esuri for about a year I was told.