Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:48 pm
Yorkshire and Hondon

GILBEY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

I have just read that anyone who owns a Spanish property should re register their Uk cars within 30 days. In that case I am definately not risking anything - I don't fancy an argument with the Spanish Police!

I appreciate the argument against driving rhd's in Spain however the car I want to bring over is my husbands Toyota Avensis Verso diesel
as we need 7 seats. We have had the car since new (51reg) and it is an absolute work horse and never caused us any problems. To buy an equivalent in Spain (with no idea of it's service history/prev owners/treatment) seems to be much more expensive, plus you have to allow for the car dealers profit on both sides. We have often taken the car to France and never had a problem driving it there.

That said I don't know my left from my right anyway!

We are thinking then that after my career break ends we will leave the car in Spain for use on holidays. That's todays plane anyway - tomorrows could be different again!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GILBEY
I have just read that anyone who owns a Spanish property should re register their Uk cars within 30 days.
Its to do with becoming a resident in Spain, not owning a Spanish property. You can be a resident here without owning a property and still have to matriculate your car
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GILBEY
I have just read that anyone who owns a Spanish property should re register their Uk cars within 30 days. In that case I am definately not risking anything - I don't fancy an argument with the Spanish Police!

I appreciate the argument against driving rhd's in Spain however the car I want to bring over is my husbands Toyota Avensis Verso diesel
as we need 7 seats. We have had the car since new (51reg) and it is an absolute work horse and never caused us any problems. To buy an equivalent in Spain (with no idea of it's service history/prev owners/treatment) seems to be much more expensive, plus you have to allow for the car dealers profit on both sides. We have often taken the car to France and never had a problem driving it there.

That said I don't know my left from my right anyway!

We are thinking then that after my career break ends we will leave the car in Spain for use on holidays. That's todays plane anyway - tomorrows could be different again!

Its also worth remembering that RHD`s are worth a lot less here than in the UK ,spanish will rarely touch them and if you taken it back to the UK you would have to re-register again!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You can be a resident here without owning a property and still have to matriculate your car
You can also own property here without being a resident. But unless you have an address here you cannot get a NIE and you cannot matriculate anything in your name.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
You can also own property here without being a resident. But unless you have an address here you cannot get a NIE and you cannot matriculate anything in your name.
Yes correct, although we got our NIE before we had an address, so it is possible.

We couldn't register a car in our name without lodging a copy of opur Padron as well as NIE ....... now I believe some are asking for residencia certificate also.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Yes correct, although we got our NIE before we had an address, so it is possible.
Now that is a first for me, how can you have a NIE without an address to link it to ?

We couldn't register a car in our name without lodging a copy of opur Padron as well as NIE ....... now I believe some are asking for residencia certificate also.
Never yet been asked for padron, first car was fine with NIF but for second car they wouldnt accept the NIF and demanded a NIE.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:57 pm
Senior Moment

Now that is a first for me, how can you have a NIE without an address to link it to ?

Never yet been asked for padron, first car was fine with NIF but for second car they wouldnt accept the NIF and demanded a NIE.
I'm guessing the solicitor used their address, as I never thought about it at the time
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We got our NIE before we owned property, the property company just used one of their own addresses as our address, we didn't have to show any proof that the address was anything to do with us.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

Well I trust that anybody who got a NIE registered to someone else's address has legalised their situation by informing the relevant oficina de extranjeros of their change of address to a new real address. This is the first time I have ever heard of a NIE issued to an address of convenience. I cant say it doesnt happen if there are examples quoted as such and we all know how strange things happen in Spanish administration. Years ago it was so difficult and long winded to get a NIE some of us went to the Hacienda and in 10 minutes and at no cost at all, got a NIF. Our legal advisers said the Hacienda was illegal to issue to us and the oficina de extranjeros brushed it aside when later we went for a real NIE but for years our NIF served the purpose of a NIE with everybody except Trafico.

p.s. I got my NIF before I owned property but I did have my address in rented property to cite.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
If you think all Spanish abide by the rules and regulations your deluded, Spain led/leads europe for black money deals, has proberly the highest percentage of unlicensed drivers in europe,corruption is rife here,highest percent of illegal houses!!if you want to fit in with majority of locals go on the fiddle!!A spanish friend of mine says he can name 9 locals who drive without a license just in our valley of around 30 houses!! As a small business owner I despise it as it forces you to do the same to compete ,It`s getting better I must admit as the eu seems to be getting tougher,

Rgds

Rotor
Well said Rotor.

What a load of "holier than thou" blowhards there are on this site these days.

Spain is a country with such an institutionally corrupt government administration system.

An obvious example is the black money when buying a house. The notary is in on it, the lawyers are in on it, the estate agents are in on it, every traditional Spaniard is in on it.

And what about motorcycle helmets? The police will stop someone one day for not wearing a helmet then casually wave a hello the next day when that same person rides past on their totally illegal and uninsured scooter without a helmet again.

And what about all the old landrovers and other campo 4x4s that the farmers drive? Where I live you would be lucky to see one with any rear lights at all. ITV? what's one of those?

And what about the companies that pay their staff a minimum salary and the rest as a cash top-up? Don't tell me that's the company just being good to its staff.

Get real, the Spanish are as much on the fiddle as any expats.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well I trust that anybody who got a NIE registered to someone else's address has legalised their situation by informing the relevant oficina de extranjeros of their change of address to a new real address.
There is no requirement and no process to change your address for an NIE.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by billgates
And what about motorcycle helmets? The police will stop someone one day for not wearing a helmet then casually wave a hello the next day when that same person rides past on their totally illegal and uninsured scooter without a helmet again.
To an extent true billgates, here around Sevilla they have campaigns and apparently if someone has a helmet with them but is not wearing it, the offence is considered mush worse than if they dont have a helmet with them at all. I cant see the point of carrying a helmet on your elbow anyway. I choose to always wear a casco but that is more normal for the big bikes than the scoots and I value my skull.

And what about all the old landrovers and other campo 4x4s that the farmers drive? Where I live you would be lucky to see one with any rear lights at all. ITV? what's one of those?
One evening I was returning from Ronda and saw a car up front with just one rear light so I assumed it could not be a police car and kept my foot down (as you do). As I passed the said police car he gave a flash of one headlight and turned off into the village he was passing. You cant trust anyone these days to be who they appear to be.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is no requirement and no process to change your address for an NIE.
Well I informed the Hacienda when I changed address and now the sheet of etiquetas (sheet of sticky labels with bar codes) they issue to me has my new address on it. To register a car the gestor wanted a few of these etiquetas to stick on various forms.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

One evening I was returning from Ronda and saw a car up front with just one rear light so I assumed it could not be a police car and kept my foot down (as you do). As I passed the said police car he gave a flash of one headlight and turned off into the village he was passing. You cant trust anyone these days to be who they appear to be.
That made me laugh!

I was driving home one hot afternoon the other day following a Guardia Civil car. Two police inside and the one in the passenger seat casually lobbed a great big box of rubbish out of the window.

If it were me in front and my passenger did this I would expect to have been pulled over and given some lecture on littering and me being a visitor to their country, etc.

Everyone has double standards.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:08 pm
Senior Moment

Well said Rotor.

What a load of "holier than thou" blowhards there are on this site these days.

Spain is a country with such an institutionally corrupt government administration system.

An obvious example is the black money when buying a house. The notary is in on it, the lawyers are in on it, the estate agents are in on it, every traditional Spaniard is in on it.

And what about the companies that pay their staff a minimum salary and the rest as a cash top-up? Don't tell me that's the company just being good to its staff.

Get real, the Spanish are as much on the fiddle as any expats.
So you agree that expats should drive around forever in Brit reg cars without matriculating, with no UK road tax etc?
If disagreeing with this makes me holier than thou then yes I'm guilty as charged!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.