Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

I find it ammusing that there are insurance brokers on the Spanish costas selling 12 month policy`s for UK registerd cars, they are valid as I`ve had them and made two claims and both times I was paid out, where as people (gestors looking for work I guess) on this forum keep reminding us we are illegal after 3/6 months.
I once asked a broker for confirmation in writing that my policy was valid if the vehicle had no UK tax or MOT, they would not provide this but as I mentioned before they do pay out , and on every occaision I`ve been stopped (proberly 10)by traffico it`s been accepted which of course is the all important issue.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:36 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

Even more bizarre Rotor is that they accept or even require a Spanish ITV in some cases yet ignore the fact that the car is most likely not taxed at all in the UK so presumably SORNed.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I find it ammusing that there are insurance brokers on the Spanish costas selling 12 month policy`s for UK registerd cars, they are valid as I`ve had them and made two claims and both times I was paid out, where as people (gestors looking for work I guess) on this forum keep reminding us we are illegal after 3/6 months.I once asked a broker for confirmation in writing that my policy was valid if the vehicle had no UK tax or MOT, they would not provide this but as I mentioned before they do pay out , and on every occaision I`ve been stopped (proberly 10)by traffico it`s been accepted which of course is the all important issue.

Rgds

Rotor
Well I am not a Gestor and not looking for work and you are definitely illegal
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Even more bizarre Rotor is that they accept or even require a Spanish ITV in some cases yet ignore the fact that the car is most likely not taxed at all in the UK so presumably SORNed.
I once made a total loss claim ,the car was washed out to sea!!, all they required was proof in the form of reciepts that the car was regulary serviced,
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SueG
Maybe so but as I mentioned Ive been stopped numerous time by traffico with no problems, I`d have no problem registering in Spain if we were not robbed for the pleasure, it should cost no more than a couple of hundred euros as the import duties and VAT have already been paid in the UK.

Rgds
Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SueG
There is the point though Sue, that illegal does not necessarily mean uninsured. To have a car on the road and not pay road tax on it is no doubt illegal. To have a car on the road without a MoT or ITV when one is required is no doubt illegal too. Some years back I was offered full insurance for a UK plated car, here in Spain on these terms and as Rotor confirms, the insurance companies do honour claims.

Hearing how many Spanish drivers have been driving around with absolutely no licence for years (and the news item of the fire engine driver in Japan who was using his father's licence) makes me far more worried as a road user.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The illegal part is that you must be a resident of the UK and drive the car no more than up to six months of the year in Spain.
I still dispute the fact that they can insure something that is in the country illegally.
I spoke to the top dog at one of the companies that do insure them, and he said it`s not our fault if they don`t tell us they live here and not the UK.
Also if it is not taxed in the UK then it can be crushed, see the road tax ad. ;-))
Also if it has not been exported from the UK it is still on their books and liable to tax payments so you could also get a knock on the door from a guy with a bill and fines from DVLA, and possibly Spanish C and E for not importing it into Spain.

Just read driving your car outside of the UK on DVLA site and all your dreams will turn to reality. lol
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
.....you could also get a knock on the door from a guy with a bill ....
That will be a duck with a hat on jdr, Ducks have been reading the "time gentlemen please" threads and are taking precautions these days

You're right of course that if you haven't SORNed or exported or scrapped your car in the UK you will be mounting debts there.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
The illegal part is that you must be a resident of the UK and drive the car no more than up to six months of the year in Spain.
I still dispute the fact that they can insure something that is in the country illegally.
I spoke to the top dog at one of the companies that do insure them, and he said it`s not our fault if they don`t tell us they live here and not the UK.
Also if it is not taxed in the UK then it can be crushed, see the road tax ad. ;-))
Also if it has not been exported from the UK it is still on their books and liable to tax payments so you could also get a knock on the door from a guy with a bill and fines from DVLA, and possibly Spanish C and E for not importing it into Spain.

Just read driving your car outside of the UK on DVLA site and all your dreams will turn to reality. lol
I`m not disputing it may be dodgy but my isurance used my spanish address on the policy so they could hardly say they did not know I lived in Spain,UK authorities will not come to Spain to collect and crush your car, I`m sure most giris ,myself included put their UK cars on a SORN,again dodgy but the trutch is your not using the car on UK highways, I used to spend my time half and half between the UK and Spain driving back and forth, this one really gave gestors a headache as if I should have registerd my car is Spain after 3 months I would have to register it again on returning to the UK , total madness so of course I left it on UK plates with no probs,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

No one has an argument with properly licensed, taxed, tested and insured vehicles from whatever country. Put it another way, you could hardly flag yourself up more than by buying a property or sending kids to school. So what is the advantage in not complying fully with the motoring rules?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Cool Re: Insuring UK plated cars in Spain

Originally Posted by 03630
No one has an argument with properly licensed, taxed, tested and insured vehicles from whatever country. Put it another way, you could hardly flag yourself up more than by buying a property or sending kids to school. So what is the advantage in not complying fully with the motoring rules?
The main advantage I can think of and its why I dont register my UK car is the extortionate cost, over €1200,00 euro ...for nothing, one other naughty advatage is you wont get a speeding ticket in the post!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The main advantage I can think of and its why I dont register my UK car is the extortionate cost, over €1200,00 euro ...for nothing, one other naughty advatage is you wont get a speeding ticket in the post!!

Rgds

Rotor
Much better that than having your car seized eventually when you run out of luck!!!

The bottom line is that what you are doing is illegal here. I've come to Spain and I do all I can to do everything properly. I am, as we all are at the end of the day, guests in this country.

If you want to brag about the illegality of your car then fine my friend, but I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't do it here as it is against forum rule 3 and must cause much confusion for newbies here who aren't sure what the correct course of action is

Many thanks for your cooperation
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rgds

Rotor
Fair enough, but you want it all ways. You are not prepared to pay your dues in the UK nor Spain. If and when the Spanish police decide to enforce the rules what you are doing will not stand scrutiny. I just can't see it is worth it.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Much better that than having your car seized eventually when you run out of luck!!!

The bottom line is that what you are doing is illegal here. I've come to Spain and I do all I can to do everything properly. I am, as we all are at the end of the day, guests in this country.

If you want to brag about the illegality of your car then fine my friend, but I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't do it here as it is against forum rule 3 and must cause much confusion for newbies here who aren't sure what the correct course of action is

Many thanks for your cooperation
No problem ,I`m not bragging just stating what I and proberly several thousand Brits do,(just look out for UK cars with no tax disc,) and for any newbies I agree, it not legal !! but neither is/was the tax the spanish goverment were charging to register cars here and thats why they were fined!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

I once made a total loss claim ,the car was washed out to sea!!, all they required was proof in the form of reciepts that the car was regulary serviced,
So, how is it this car is still being used? Or do you have a number of "dodgy" cars at your disposal. Personally I am sick of all the clever ruses from my fellow country men. The designed for Canada (hence LHD) on UK plates or the imported from Belgium etc etc. Just go and buy a car from your local garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.