Insects

Old Sep 15th 2006, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all
Default Insects

Hi,
I know this might sound silly but is there any insects etc that we need to watch out for in Spain that could be potentially dangerous?
Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2006, 1:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insects

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
I know this might sound silly but is there any insects etc that we need to watch out for in Spain that could be potentially dangerous?
Thanks

Black Widow spiders, Tarantulas, Scorpions, poisonous snakes to name but a few.

Luckily they are all pretty rare.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 1:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks
Read this could be helpfull, watch out for the hairy caterpillars, you will probably meet them before any of the others.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:31 pm
RIP

BIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud ofBIG JIM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Read this could be helpfull, watch out for the hairy caterpillars, you will probably meet them before any of the others.
The worst and most deadly of all in the insect world are a group called the ESTATE AGENTS these little blighters come up from behind and when you are not looking they are capable of emptying your bank account !! and giving you a nasty rash :scared:
To get ride of these nasty little things take a big stick out with you everywhere you go and when you find one hit them hard on the head, they will fly away and pester someone else, this works for me.
this is why you see the Spanish out walking carrying a big stick !!!!
Old Sep 15th 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: Insects

I was assured by our Spanish neighbour that this little lovely wasn't venomous....and that the venomous ones live in the mountain (our house is at the foot of a mountain ) My husband woke one morning to find it crawling on his pillow.....since then I take a photo of any creepie crawlies and keep them in a small photo album just incase we need to identify one in the future IF we should get bitten. It seemed like a sensible idea....
Mary
Attached Thumbnails Insects-dscn1189.jpg  
Old Sep 15th 2006, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

I keep getting these little insects that go very fast.

It has lots of legs, thin and brownish. Can be anything from 1cm to 1.5 inches.

I find them on the ceilings alot and sure they are coming from the woodwork.

I have used raid, but worry about the fumes, it so strong.

Does anyone else know what insect I am talking about and what do you do?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Thanks
Hello, nice person.

Despite what other postings may say, the chance of anything nasty happening is somewhere between negligible and zero.

shoo
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:18 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

Yeah i agree! The processionary caterpillars can be bloody dangerous!!! Especially to pets!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0197
I keep getting these little insects that go very fast.

It has lots of legs, thin and brownish. Can be anything from 1cm to 1.5 inches.

I find them on the ceilings alot and sure they are coming from the woodwork.

I have used raid, but worry about the fumes, it so strong.

Does anyone else know what insect I am talking about and what do you do?
They are similar to silverfish and quite harmless.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks
We find the mosquitos bad enough, particularly as there are some that are silent, so you don't know they are in the room. We didn't know about the 13 spot black widow until earlier this week when there was an article in a local paper, apparently they are shy and only likely to attack in defence, and are mostly found in the fields. Plenty of wasps around, but so far not been bothered with them flying round us, they seem to stick to the vegetation.

Last edited by mikelincs; Sep 16th 2006 at 12:02 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
They are similar to silverfish and quite harmless.
They may be harmless but they´re not very nice. They used to be just in the bathrooms. Now I find them anywhere and every where.

Anyone know which products are the best to use?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j0197
They may be harmless but they´re not very nice. They used to be just in the bathrooms. Now I find them anywhere and every where.

Anyone know which products are the best to use?
Just be very careful using the sprays, we used to have a tank full of tropical fish, until we sprayed the room for mosquitos, now no mosquitos, but also no fish, they were all dead withing 30 minutes.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Ive got no animals...just a toddler and a hubby!