Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Initial questions about moving to Spain

Initial questions about moving to Spain

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial questions about moving to Spain

There are currently 1161 jobs advertised on the Local site that mainly target English speakers http://www.thelocal.es/
You can also search on Twitter for "Thinkspain jobs" for a variety of jobs on the coast. Obviously there will be stiff competition for those jobs you would have thought - unless everyone's been put off from applying!
There's a very good article here on how to find work in Spain, specifically in Madrid, by Pierre Waters - who found work in Madrid and helped several fellow students also to find work.
http://moving2madrid.com/how-to-find-a-job-in-spain/
I will stress that if you are thinking of the teaching English route, then best to build up some experience before you go.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:10 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

...and don't forget that a lot of those advertised jobs don't exist...they just want your money
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
...and don't forget that a lot of those advertised jobs don't exist...they just want your money
Reminds me of El Follonero in a programme some time back, the job center in Madrid had just 35 jobs on offer, Infojobs had 6,000! You mean they aren't real jobs?
Évole sacó su ordenador para echarla en cara que la web de ofertas de trabajo de la comunicad de Madrid sólo había 35 ofertas, mientras que en InfoJobs había más de 6.000.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Reminds me of El Follonero in a programme some time back, the job center in Madrid had just 35 jobs on offer, Infojobs had 6,000! You mean they aren't real jobs?
Since when do the jobs advertised in a job centre reflect the real jobs being advertised in the total economy?
But hey, every time Zara makes a sale, 100 Montaditos opens up or you're on a fully booked plane landing at a Spanish airport, remember the people there aren't really working, because we're told so on a talkboard!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
To be fair to steviedeluxe, those jobs look legitimate to me

For most of them you must be fluent in English and Spanish, have good experience, probably a degree and perhaps another European language

So they are not for you average expat

And of course, most will have a salary of 800-1200 euros per month
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Hi all

I am new to the Spain Forum but not new to moving abroad. I lived in Malta for a short spell last year and prior to that lived in the Scotland and Australia. I now live in England.

I am very interested in moving to Spain, the Madrid area to be exact. I have been looking through these threads and researching online prices of rental properties etc. So far the only site that seems pretty good is idealista.com, is this a reputable site? Is renting a simple process in Spain?

Anyway I am currently a Paralegal at a very good law firm however I moved to Malta for the hopes of having an easier life all round. I have a husband and two year old son and unfortunately Malta didn't offer what we had hoped so we returned to the UK. I am thinking about doing a CELTA or TEFL course and possibly teaching English in Spain and I heard Madrid is the best place to start. My husband writes so can pick up and go anyway.

My concerns are I do not want to make the same mistake again and make the move to Madrid and encounter the same problems we had in Malta. The problems we had in Malta were not ones that could have been discovered on holiday, it was only when living and working there did it become apparent. So I thought I would ask you all for advice.

As I said I have a two year old son and I obviously am concerned with schooling. I wouldn't mind at all for him to learn Spanish as I would definitely be doing the same. I just wanted to know what people thought about schooling in Spain?

As I said I have a good job in the UK but it is stressful and I work 40 hours per week and hardly get to see my son. I have no benefits to my job and the pay is not particularly great for the work I do. Ideally I am looking for an easier/less stressful life and I think TEFL might be able to give me that. Does my plan sound doable?

Thanks
I am intrigued as to why a paralegal would want to give up a good job to once again start again.
what was it about Malta that sent you back home?
if it was the "jobs for the Maltese" attitude then sorry you can say the same will happen in Spain - a country where you will find petrol pump attendants with 2 or 3 degrees. Where same people are leaving in droves to Northern Europe for jobs, spending good money beforehand on language training.
or was there something more subtle and deep down??

As a paralegal you will not be able to get a similar job here because the laws are different and although the EU says jobs should be open to all - you need the local experience, which will be hard to find, along with the language.
TEFL is generally seen as a backpackers hideaway, here for 6m then gone. Not many stay long, hence the continual adverts for them.

there are various international recruitment agencies in Spain, such as Hays, Adecco, Michael Page who advertise but they will still want a certain level of local language.
But that is the same in any part of Europe and the International scene, where people move from one job to another job in another country.

Interested in what you OH feels about all this, each move must be costing you money that becomes lost forever.
is it that you just have a round bum and can't settle or is there some other reason
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I found our place to rent on Idelista, but as soon as you arrive you will find more, very much I would say go and talk to people, visit some agents, some want to do it legally sometimes its better not too if your just short term.

Just a quickie, This may sound silly, but TEFL do you have to speak Spanish, or do you just teach English without any Spanish.

A friend of mine is wanting to do this in Algerciras but speaks no Spanish, but he is there looking for that work, I did not want to sound stupid to ask him, so I would feel better asking it here.,
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I found our place to rent on Idelista, but as soon as you arrive you will find more, very much I would say go and talk to people, visit some agents, some want to do it legally sometimes its better not too if your just short term.

Just a quickie, This may sound silly, but TEFL do you have to speak Spanish, or do you just teach English without any Spanish.

A friend of mine is wanting to do this in Algerciras but speaks no Spanish, but he is there looking for that work, I did not want to sound stupid to ask him, so I would feel better asking it here.,
It's possible to teach English, even to absolute beginners, without knowing any of the learner's language - indeed this was demonstrated to us on our course.
However I would argue that there are 2 main reasons why you should learn the local language. One is practical - how are you going to arrange appointments, get past security etc. if you don't speak Spanish? The second is that how can you sell yourself as a teacher of languages, if you're unable to pick up the one around you? It may be just me, but it seems a very poor demonstration of your lack of ability.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's possible to teach English, even to absolute beginners, without knowing any of the learner's language - indeed this was demonstrated to us on our course.
However I would argue that there are 2 main reasons why you should learn the local language. One is practical - how are you going to arrange appointments, get past security etc. if you don't speak Spanish? The second is that how can you sell yourself as a teacher of languages, if you're unable to pick up the one around you? It may be just me, but it seems a very poor demonstration of your lack of ability.
I still don't understand, Simply can does TEFL mean teaching knowing only English ?
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I thought I'd already answered this! Yes, it's possible, but I (and some others, not all) would not recommend it. Having said that, there are some academies and schools who try and enforce a total "everything spoken in English" environment.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ok cool, so basically anyone who can speak English and is able to teach without a exam can do it, its just I see it rewarded usually with a high wage which never made sense to me, seems a easy life to TEFL.

thanks