Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Info. greatly received-moving to spain

Info. greatly received-moving to spain

Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:16 am
Just Joined

MMADDIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info. greatly received-moving to spain

Thanks for everyones advice-maybe there where too many questions!! Was pleased to here that some complexes take dogs -didnt want the wife living on the streets with them while I'm tucked up in the villa - wouldnt be right , wouldn't want the dogs getting too cold at night !! What about renting out , does anyone have any experience in this area ? By the way we live in Worthing , West Sussex , oppos. the beach . Regards Colin
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:00 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Pete mate, I know you probably dont really like the British gov, and believe me I can sympathise totally with that but dont be fooled that in Spain it is run like a utopian paradise.
There are far more problems in Spain with the gov than there are here, and more and more they are beginning to interfere with the general public, add to that the issue of powerful regional and local govs and you have a real mess of things, the LRAU is a classic example of this and there are a dozen or so very similar cases where common sense is clearly pushed aside for the sake of lining a few powerful pockets.
I'm not having a go, just hope you understand that the red tape in Spain is far greater and more complex than the UK could ever be.
Probably !!! No probablys about it i hate even the sight of Blair with his snide grins like hes done a good job ??

In 10 years he has destroyed the place , not for me i wont be there . unless in a coffin or a old peoples home out of me brain somewhere !!

As far as Spain goes its there Country so i go with what there Government say , I dont care if the cost of living goes as high as the UK i dont particularly care if they all take back handers , because at least unlike in the UK when you have put up with all the daily crap ! in Spain i will be able to enjoy quality out door life , sunshine - sea - out door restaurants - bars - fishing . etc..

How can a price be put on that i for the life of me can not see what the great about Britain is anymore ? cant be any of the following can it ?

Great;
Weather -- NO
Cheap Housing -- NO
Cheap Motoring -- NO
Crime Rate -- NO
Shops -- NO
etc etc ...
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:12 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Probably !!! No probablys about it i hate even the sight of Blair with his snide grins like hes done a good job ??

In 10 years he has destroyed the place , not for me i wont be there . unless in a coffin or a old peoples home out of me brain somewhere !!

As far as Spain goes its there Country so i go with what there Government say , I dont care if the cost of living goes as high as the UK i dont particularly care if they all take back handers , because at least unlike in the UK when you have put up with all the daily crap ! in Spain i will be able to enjoy quality out door life , sunshine - sea - out door restaurants - bars - fishing . etc..

How can a price be put on that i for the life of me can not see what the great about Britain is anymore ? cant be any of the following can it ?

Great;
Weather -- NO
Cheap Housing -- NO
Cheap Motoring -- NO
Crime Rate -- NO
Shops -- NO
etc etc ...
I was only saying, I'm no fan of Bliar either, I would hope that a conservative gov or a lib one would be able to do better, while you may not admit it, the UK has a much higher standard of living now than when Thatcher was in power, and more people now benefit from that prosperity.
What i do accept is that the gap between rich and poor has grown to a huge level.
I dont personally think that crime is worse now than ever before, I live in a very crime free area, but it does depend on where you live I think.
The housing market is diabolical I agree, but for millions of Spaniards its the same, and because of us.
The weather is very bad, but without it we would have none of what people love about the UK.

All I'm saying is that there is a very strong bias towards hating the UK in your posts and a slight lean towards over glossing what you will get in Spain. I personally love the country (Spain) but I have had a friend shot dead out there, was tied up in SERIOUS mafia style nutcases when i worked for Pacha, experienced the very strong drug culture there and have seen prostitutes bundled into the back of black mercs on a few occasions, never to be seen again, often by Russian mobsters.
None of which has happened in the UK.

I am not critisizing your posts at all, I want to make that very clear.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:26 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

I was only saying, I'm no fan of Bliar either, I would hope that a conservative gov or a lib one would be able to do better, while you may not admit it, the UK has a much higher standard of living now than when Thatcher was in power, and more people now benefit from that prosperity.
What i do accept is that the gap between rich and poor has grown to a huge level.
I dont personally think that crime is worse now than ever before, I live in a very crime free area, but it does depend on where you live I think.
The housing market is diabolical I agree, but for millions of Spaniards its the same, and because of us.
The weather is very bad, but without it we would have none of what people love about the UK.

All I'm saying is that there is a very strong bias towards hating the UK in your posts and a slight lean towards over glossing what you will get in Spain. I personally love the country (Spain) but I have had a friend shot dead out there, was tied up in SERIOUS mafia style nutcases when i worked for Pacha, experienced the very strong drug culture there and have seen prostitutes bundled into the back of black mercs on a few occasions, never to be seen again, often by Russian mobsters.
None of which has happened in the UK.

I am not critisizing your posts at all, I want to make that very clear.
I aknowledge your not critisizing me Rugbymat no worries there , we all have our own views ..

But just will add my own points to the equation ;

The Thatcher years ! Yes they was tough for a lot but she had to get a grip on finances as they spiralled .. This Government just spends spends spends and out of each £100 they waste £50 but it doesnt matter as they just get more from us !

Crime rates do as you say depend on where you live , i dont intend to live in the rougher areas ..so wether in UK or Spain i am not directly in the line of fire . All i do know is when a Spanish Policeman arrives at any location ! They get results and are respected the British police get told to f off buy kids as young as 10 lol

Weather is naff and is and will be getting worse here ! And as for the people love Britain bit what is there to love ?
Is it the being stuck indoors 6 months of each year of your life maybe ?

Please tell me as maybe all i need to do is move area ? and then paradise life will be found ? I live in the Kent Countryside , near the sea as far as English locations go i have it good and i hate it ! spend longer indoors than outdoors as weather so naff and roads and stuff over congested now days ..
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:40 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Crime rates do as you say depend on where you live , i dont intend to live in the rougher areas ..

Please tell me as maybe all i need to do is move area ? and then paradise life will be found ? I live in the Kent Countryside , near the sea as far as English locations go i have it good and i hate it ! spend longer indoors than outdoors as weather so naff and roads and stuff over congested now days ..
One of the places I saw the prostitute disappear was in Palma, a busy friday night with the streets packed, anyway, thats bye the bye.

I actually work outside, and generally, rain or shine I work, but that said, the reason I am taking my course is to be able to work in a hot country and not have top deal with the rain, because lets face it, thats what we all hate.

I saw on another post you made about being able to smoke in a public place, I hope you have since found out that it was banned in Spain before the UK?
Much to the dismay of my dad I must say!
Spain is subject to the same stupid rules that the EU impose in the whole of Europe, and to be totally honest, Britain has stood against many of those rules longer than almost anyone in Europe.
I am not saying you should not go because the UK is much nicer, but just to realise that if you are leaving because of the Gov, rules, red tape, hyper officialdom, over zealous civil servants and at times stupid rules then you have a little shock in store mate.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:46 am
Banned

One of the places I saw the prostitute disappear was in Palma, a busy friday night with the streets packed, anyway, thats bye the bye.

I actually work outside, and generally, rain or shine I work, but that said, the reason I am taking my course is to be able to work in a hot country and not have top deal with the rain, because lets face it, thats what we all hate.

I saw on another post you made about being able to smoke in a public place, I hope you have since found out that it was banned in Spain before the UK?
Much to the dismay of my dad I must say!
Spain is subject to the same stupid rules that the EU impose in the whole of Europe, and to be totally honest, Britain has stood against many of those rules longer than almost anyone in Europe.
I am not saying you should not go because the UK is much nicer, but just to realise that if you are leaving because of the Gov, rules, red tape, hyper officialdom, over zealous civil servants and at times stupid rules then you have a little shock in store mate.
Nothing shocks me anymore lol
Sometimes i wonder if the worlds gone mad anyways , so i am cashing in here to find that little secluded bit of land in the sun near the sea to escape it all , in my remaining years lol
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:49 am
Straw Man.

Sometimes i wonder if the worlds gone mad anyways , so i am cashing in here to find that little secluded bit of land in the sun near the sea to escape it all , in my remaining years lol
Good on ya.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:02 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Did you see the article..I cannot remember where I did.. about the Dutch couple, somewhere near Costa Tropical I believe. Beautiful house, been there twenty years, now they are planning to develop an adjacent plot as an urbanisation, lots of problems, I believe they are going to the European courts.
I think we all dream a little of escaping to somewhere worry and stress free, but I am afraid there may be places that are less worrysome and less stressful, but it's a myth that we can escape totally. A bit like the people who buy the boat of their dreams and believe they can sail into an idyllic lifestyle. The Med is littered with broken dreams and boats for sale.
I find that accepting that there are always going to be problems, and the things you fear most are probably going to happen helps you to be prepared...when they do you deal with them, and if you are still around, then hey, you have just got yourself a bonus so enjoy it until the next thing comes along.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by poollounger
Did you see the article..I cannot remember where I did.. about the Dutch couple, somewhere near Costa Tropical I believe. Beautiful house, been there twenty years, now they are planning to develop an adjacent plot as an urbanisation, lots of problems, I believe they are going to the European courts.
I think we all dream a little of escaping to somewhere worry and stress free, but I am afraid there may be places that are less worrysome and less stressful, but it's a myth that we can escape totally. A bit like the people who buy the boat of their dreams and believe they can sail into an idyllic lifestyle. The Med is littered with broken dreams and boats for sale.
I find that accepting that there are always going to be problems, and the things you fear most are probably going to happen helps you to be prepared...when they do you deal with them, and if you are still around, then hey, you have just got yourself a bonus so enjoy it until the next thing comes along.
Very true ..
Old Mar 9th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Wonder where they are then a I am costa tropical, though I believe their has been some prblems at Almunecar which is some was from my area. Was it on one of those "Place in the sun" type of programme? if so I may have caought it but is quite an old one, maybe that was where I got Almunecar from.
No problems around here with that sort of thing, at least not yet.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:19 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Info. greatly received-moving to spain

Originally Posted by pwwm
Just had to tell you it is 32dg at 4pm here today, keep warm!!!
Hi all,
Sorry to but in on your thread Colin and Chris, will be interseted in the responses you get myself, but wanted to ask pwwm a question.
Noticed you are in Albunol, have just posted a thread " Albunol, whats it like" (I know it's not very original but its 12:18 in the morning!
Would be gratefull if you would check it out and offer any advise. Cheers!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:19 am
Banned

rowlandsbb has a spectacular aura aboutrowlandsbb has a spectacular aura aboutrowlandsbb has a spectacular aura about

Almeria between Aguilas and Mojacar is probably the best part of Spain
I have bought two for investment and will live part time in due course
The people I deal with are very good & if you want all your questions answered PM me
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rowlandsbb

It depends really, around that area you speak of there appears to be far more Brits, nothing wrong with if it what you want, but here we are a tiny minority, Now if that is what you wish and we did, it is very rural Spain here and you have to learn the language all the menu's are in Spanish etc etc you will not see an English menu here, I do know the Mojacar area is more for the people that would like more interaction with the expats.

As chrisw knows, I have pm'd him with some info we can take it from there. Here is not right for everyone, but it is laid back, cheap and the people are wonderful, in fact just had two carrier bags delivered, one with tomatoes and one with cauliflowers, yesterday was beans and milk. (not together I might add )

Horses for courses

pwwm
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:43 am
Banned

rowlandsbb has a spectacular aura aboutrowlandsbb has a spectacular aura aboutrowlandsbb has a spectacular aura about

Quite right
If you want to be away from it all but you can have the best of both
A real Spanish living but not isolated and between Aguilas and Mojacar and say no more than 40 mins inland you can have the best of both
But if buying in Spain needs lets to help finance then you have to be relatively close to the coast
I have just bought a second investment which is golf but my apart is 100 m from a great beach & village so to fund my mtge I will get summer & winter lets It wont be ready until circa Jan 2009 but that is how you make money
Any more info PM me
This part of Almeria has everything
Brian