Bank charges

Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank charges

Please can anyone help?

We transferred 71,000 euros from UK to our Spanish bank account with Banco Popular, our lawyer then had a cheque written out on our behalf to pay for our new house.

Banco Ppular have taken 554 euros in fees? When I phoned the helpline I was told if I am not happy I must negotiate with my local branch?

Not that easy when I have no idea what is reasonable? and my Spanish is not very good (which I accept is my problem)

The helpline said 0.35% is the usual fee after 50,000 euros then the bank can take what they like from your account??

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:25 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bank charges

That's why it is best to use a currency excahnger like HIFX who guarantee no charges at the Spanish end. Spanish banks charge for everything...transfers internally, cheques etc etc etc. If you got a better exchange rate from your bank than from a money exchanger than you may be better off accepting the charges. Difficult to know what action to take after the event. I would try and have a quiet word with the local branch. I know one can end up paying higher transfer fees if they do not have the proper IBAN number for the Spanish account.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelalot
Please can anyone help?

We transferred 71,000 euros from UK to our Spanish bank account with Banco Popular, our lawyer then had a cheque written out on our behalf to pay for our new house.

Banco Ppular have taken 554 euros in fees? When I phoned the helpline I was told if I am not happy I must negotiate with my local branch?

Not that easy when I have no idea what is reasonable - and my Spanish is not very good (which I accept is my problem)

The helpline said 0.35% is the usual fee after 50,000 euros then the bank can take what they like from your account??

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

its a shame you didnt negotiate the fee before the transfer then you could of threatened to take your business elsewhere but its still worth a try

for our house purchase they were going to charge 1000 euros for us to pay in the cheque form our buyer and print a new cheque for the people we were buying from, I told them that was too high and another bank had agreed fees of either 400-500€ (little white lie) anyway then my bank dropped the 1000€ down to 200€ !!!!!!

so why not go to the bank and say you are not happy, you will close the account etc etc and that a figure of 150€ is more reasonable ? they should at least meet you half way

good luck
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK bank should of quoted an iban number on the paperwork, then you would of not been charged.
Like they say tell them you have plenty of further transactions to make and unless there is a refund you will move your business elswhere.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Your UK bank should of quoted an iban number on the paperwork, then you would of not been charged.
Like they say tell them you have plenty of further transactions to make and unless there is a refund you will move your business elswhere.
Interesting comment, are you saying that if the IBAN is quoted when transferring from a UK bank to a spanish one, no charges are made? Hard to believe knowing how spanish banks charge for absolutely everything.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Ive never heard of that but when I transferred some funds back to UK my Spanish bank here said the charges would be higher if I didnt give them the IBAN code

suppose all banks are different
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malagaman
Interesting comment, are you saying that if the IBAN is quoted when transferring from a UK bank to a spanish one, no charges are made? Hard to believe knowing how spanish banks charge for absolutely everything.
Didn`t cost me anything on landing charges, Lloyds TSB and Bancopopular have an agreement apparently.
Mind you this was a few years ago and the rate was a lot higher than now.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

I use Interchange to buy my euros,
I supply my banks Iban number anyway, but they have instructed me ,from January 1st they can't make the transaction with out it
Is that common policy now ?

Chris
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

travelalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for comments

I used UKFOREX for money transfer and buying euros. I did use my Iban number? I will have a word with them and my local branch in Martos for the bank
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Did everone notice the ECB raised interest rates to 3.75% up a 1/4 % yesterday
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:29 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Did everone notice the ECB raised interest rates to 3.75% up a 1/4 % yesterday
Nooo We are in the process of obtaining a Spanish mortgage so not too pleased about that! It has stayed the same in England thank goodness.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lionda
Nooo We are in the process of obtaining a Spanish mortgage so not too pleased about that! It has stayed the same in England thank goodness.
The French we not to pleased either
The article in the Telegraph says they up in arms over it.
It makes a point of mentioning that most Spanish & Irish borrowers have floating rate loans & also the army of Brits ( me included ) who have borrowed from Spanish banks
Mabe the French will do something about they seem to normally get their way
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I originally was with Banco De Valencia, and they made charges which were horrendous when we transferred money by HIFX. I complained and they told me to make lots of smaller transfers then I wouldn't be charged. I did, and they still charged me. i closed the account.

SOL Bank DONT charge for any monies paid into your account, no matter where it comes from.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I originally was with Banco De Valencia, and they made charges which were horrendous when we transferred money by HIFX. I complained and they told me to make lots of smaller transfers then I wouldn't be charged. I did, and they still charged me. i closed the account.

SOL Bank DONT charge for any monies paid into your account, no matter where it comes from.
Not true. Paid in a cheque when I sold my car for 31000 euros and was charged 75 euros, non-negotiable.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malagaman
Not true. Paid in a cheque when I sold my car for 31000 euros and was charged 75 euros, non-negotiable.

Absolutely 100 solid gold true!
Otherwise I wouldn't have said it!

I have transferred amounts up to 75000 euros to SolBank over a period of three years and have never been charged a cent. They actually use this as a selling point to ex pats, so you'd better have a word with your bank manager

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.