Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

Old Dec 1st 2020, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

Interesting and worrying for some article in The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

see also

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/returning-to-the-uk

'Returning from the EU UK nationals’ children and existing close family members (including spouses, partners, parents and grandparents) who are moving to the UK from the EU, after the UK has left the EU, will be able to do so without the need for a visa until 29 March 2022. Those moving to the UK after 29 March 2022 will need to apply for a visa.'

This does not seem to have had much publicity but could be a problem for some.

Last edited by spainrico; Dec 1st 2020 at 7:01 am.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impossible for Expats to return to UK?

They mean EU family members who aren't themselves British citizens. Up until 31st December, they have EU freedom of movement, but from 1st January, they along with any other EU citizen coming longer than 6 months will need a visa, such as spouse, dependant or family reunion visa. In other words, they will be in the same position as non-EU family members have been up to now. And such visas aren't cheap, costing over £1,000 each including children, as you have to pay health surcharge of £624 a year (£470 for under 18s) in advance for the visa duration (30 months). Many children of UK citizens are themselves British, but only if they are born in UK or overseas territory (e.g. Gib), if their British parent is British otherwise than by descent (i.e. born, naturalised, adopted or registered as British in UK) or was in Crown service, recruited in UK, at the time of their birth. There are a few other exceptions.
There is a generous visa-free period until March 2022 for non-UK EU family members to move to UK with their UK partner/parent etc.

Last edited by Joppa; Dec 1st 2020 at 8:40 am.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

quixote is an unknown quantity at this point

I went through this with my wife who was born outside of the EU. It was very difficult, time consuming and expensive. I believe they've also introduced a threshold for income below which you don't even qualify to bring your family members, which is pretty inhumane in my view.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

It's a disgrace. I'm divorced in Spain but if I was still married my Swedish wife ( over 20 years marriage with children) would only be able to settle if I had a specific income level which is not the state pension and higher than we ever earned. The fact that we lived for 10 years in UK and paid CGT on properties to the government are seen as irrelevant. The fact that my wife worked paid tax and SS counts as nothing.We are as a family effectively banished and my exwife treated as some kind of foreign peasant likely to scrounge money of the state despite the fact that she still has to pay tax in uk based on owning a property which is rented!!! Now as we approach the final few days of Brexit it is becoming impossible for the Tory government to cover up the disaster that no deal would bring to UK. They will make a deal in the end because if they dont the legacy will be appalling. The only possible way of light for me personally is the break up of the union and the chance for Scotland and Wales to pursue a more modern, moral caring path than the destiny that faces England
Old Dec 1st 2020, 10:37 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
It's a disgrace. ...The only possible way of light for me personally is the break up of the union and the chance for Scotland and Wales to pursue a more modern, moral caring path than the destiny that faces England
Northern Ireland will be more adversely affected that the other vasal nations and I have no doubt they will soon be re-united with Ireland.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think I understand it better now and as always seems to be winners and losers - as it stands.

Funny how we were promised all will be fine and then over the last few weeks people are being hit with all sorts of potential problems.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

quixote is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes, I think I understand it better now and as always seems to be winners and losers - as it stands.

Funny how we were promised all will be fine and then over the last few weeks people are being hit with all sorts of potential problems.
Who are those winners?
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico

The Leave campaign (including the current UK PM) promised it would be fine. Those of us who have dealt with UK and EU (and member state) immigration rules for non-EU nationals knew that to be a lie, but were dismissed as 'Project Fear'... Just think of it as one of the benefits of ending free movement
Old Dec 1st 2020, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agreed 'winners' might be an exaggeration - but I think I could return (not that I want) for example as I do not have any dependents.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to France and buy a rubber dinghy
Old Dec 1st 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am bound to say Fredbargate the same thought crossed my mind!
Old Dec 1st 2020, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Thread title needs to be corrected, as its dramatically incorrect, UK expats CAN return to UK anytime.
With or without rubber dinghy.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
Thread title needs to be corrected, as its dramatically incorrect, UK expats CAN return to UK anytime.
With or without rubber dinghy.
why it is a question...not a statement?
Old Dec 1st 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quixote
Who are those winners?
Possibly the best question asked here for a very long time 👏👏👏

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Just go to France and buy a rubber dinghy
Not forgetting to to jettison your UK passport mid channel.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The moral is "Trust no one who went to Eton or Harrow !"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.