Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Important info for net users in Spain!

Important info for net users in Spain!

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:20 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Important info for net users in Spain!

It's possible you could have problems sending e-mail from any of your accounts in Outlook or Outlook Express.

These would be the symptoms:

1) You cannot send any emails via your computer
2) You can receive email with no problems
3) You have SMTP Authentication settings configured correctly
4) You can navigate to web sites without any problem

If all of the above apply, then you are probably experiencing what is commonly known as a "ISP Port 25 Blocking".

Some ISP's here are now blocking what is called "Port 25" which is the port used to send e-mail. They do this to cut down on the amount of spam that is sent from their networks. You wont be told about it by your ISP, you will just suddenly find that you can't send any email.

Your first thought might be that you have a problem on your PC, or in the case of businesses your hosting provider has mail server issues. Neither is the case, it's solely down to your ISP.....and your local computer techie or web hosting provider can do nothing about it.

In cases like this you need to ring your ISP to ask them to unblock Port 25. They'll ask you to send an e-mail to confirm (which is pretty daft seeing that your email is not working!) so you'll need to use a Hotmail/Yahoo one for that purpose.

Put the following in the subject line:

"por favor desbloquear el puerto 25 en la linea de adsl #YOURTELNUMBER#"

The bit that says #YOURTELNUMBER# will be the phone number that is assigned/associated to your telefonica adsl line.

I've had two of my clients affected by this, both of whom are Brit businesses in Spain........and it appears it can take up to 10 days for the ISP to unblock it!

Hopefully you won't get affected.....but if you do experience any issues sending mail, it's likely you've been blocked.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:38 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Important info for net users in Spain!

Hi Xtreme
I have the same problem - cant send email through Outlook Express here in England - do i do the same contact my ISP here.
Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that information.

Another way round the problem would be to set up an account with Gmail which can be used to send via Outlook or Outlook Express.

That would use a different port (465) which would enable you to send OK. If you put your normal Email address in the reply address field no one would notice that you were using Gmail.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:44 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi Xtreme
I have the same problem - cant send email through Outlook Express here in England - do i do the same contact my ISP here.
Thanks
Sam....providing you've checked all your Outlook Express options.....ensuring the "My server requires authentication" tab in OE/Tools/Accounts/Mail/Properties/Servers is ticked.....then Port Blocking's your problem and you'll need to contact your ISP.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:46 am
Mucho Macho

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thanks for that information.

Another way round the problem would be to set up an account with Gmail which can be used to send via Outlook or Outlook Express.
Yes but that's not curing the problem Fred....it's patching it. And it's not a viable solution for companies who have a multitude of mail addresses from their domain.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:17 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
Sam....providing you've checked all your Outlook Express options.....ensuring the "My server requires authentication" tab in OE/Tools/Accounts/Mail/Properties/Servers is ticked.....then Port Blocking's your problem and you'll need to contact your ISP.

Thanks for that Xtreme - ill try that first - like you say i just thought it was the machine - ive been trying to email estate agents in Spain and they all seem to go by Outlook - have just been pasting their email into Hotmail and emailing this way but as you say its a pain.
Thanks again
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:28 am
Mucho Macho

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Thanks for that Xtreme - ill try that first - like you say i just thought it was the machine - ive been trying to email estate agents in Spain and they all seem to go by Outlook - have just been pasting their email into Hotmail and emailing this way but as you say its a pain.
Thanks again
No probs Sam....the bottom line is we've all PAID for a service that ISP's have chosen to withdraw....which IMO is an unacceptable business practice.
And how do they choose which lines get blocked? The ones generating most bulk mail? No....they just pick a sequence of numbers at random and block them!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Which ISP's are doing this?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is peculiar to Spain.

I have a Yahoo UK account. Yahoo told its customers ages ago to change port 25 to 587 in order to send mail via smtp - I mean several years ago.

You could try this before you contact you ISP

In Outlook Express choose Tools then Accounts. Select the accoun you want and click properties then advanced options. Change the 25 to 587 and see if it works.

I have no idea why 587 - why the ports are numbered the way they are. But the others, (eg 25 for smtp, 110 for pop) seem to be the same for all isps so maybe 587 is aswell.

it's worth a try - or try reading the help pages your ISP has on how to set up pop mail.

Last edited by rachelk; Aug 23rd 2007 at 1:20 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Also bear in mind that while your ISP may unblock your port 25, mail you send from there might be wrongly filtered out as spam.

Port 587 allows for authentication of outgoing mail, which port 25 does not. That's why port 25 is more vulnerable to spam and why 587 is more secure.

Have a look at his AOL page - it gives details of how to change the settings.

Unblocking your port 25 is NOT the best solution - unless, perhaps, you're a spammer.

http://postmaster.aol.com/faq/port25faq.html
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:16 pm

I use Telefonica and have not had any problems with Port 25. My mail servers are with a hosting company, ICDSoft and I checked it out with them. They say :-

Port 25 is used by the SMTP server. We do not block port 25, as it is the standard port for sending e-mail. It is possible, however, that your Internet Service Provider blocks port 25. If this is the case, you can use an alternative port for sending e-mail. It is 587 and it is rarely blocked by ISPs.

So it would seem that Port 587 is the best alternative to try first if you encounter these problems.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:31 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Both my email accounts, one of which is Yahoo are routed through port 25. Our ADSL is through telefonica.

Yvonne