Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Import tax on car

Import tax on car

Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Gedder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Import tax on car

We are shortly moving to Spain and bringing our car, the problem is we have been advised that although we have never lived permanently in Spain we will have to pay import tax on the car. The reason for this, we were advised when we bought our property to register on the Padron, can anyone advise me on how I can avoid paying import tax.

Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import tax on car

Originally Posted by Gedder
We are shortly moving to Spain and bringing our car, the problem is we have been advised that although we have never lived permanently in Spain we will have to pay import tax on the car. The reason for this, we were advised when we bought our property to register on the Padron, can anyone advise me on how I can avoid paying import tax.

Thanks
ah - yes that could be a problem

one reason why you shoudn't register on the padrón unless you actually live here - apart from the fact that you actually shouldn't

who on earth told you that you should?

did you own your car for more than 6 months before you registered on the padrón?

if you did, then I believe you'll be fine & not have to pay the registration tax (it's not really import tax, although it often gets called that)

if not, you could inform the ayuntamiento that you 'no longer live in the area' since you actually don't/never did, and so come off the padrón, then wait more than 6 months to go back on it
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

It was Atlas who told us we should register on the padron. I spoke to somebody at the Consulate in Alicante and she told me we should never have been on the Padron as we didn't live permanently in Spain . We are moving over in January so she has advised that when we are over on holiday in September we take ourselves off it. I'll need to find out what you say in Spanish to avoid any confusion!!!!!!!

Thank you for your reply
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gedder
It was Atlas who told us we should register on the padron. I spoke to somebody at the Consulate in Alicante and she told me we should never have been on the Padron as we didn't live permanently in Spain . We are moving over in January so she has advised that when we are over on holiday in September we take ourselves off it. I'll need to find out what you say in Spanish to avoid any confusion!!!!!!!

Thank you for your reply
tell them 'queremos bajarnos, porque no vivimos en España más'

it does make me mad when people are told to register on the padrón when they don't live here - it can cause all sorts of problems...........
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it does make me mad when people are told to register on the padrón when they don't live here - it can cause all sorts of problems...........
Yes, agree entirely but you can understand the logic of the Ayuntamiento as they get more money from central government for every person on the padron.

As a result some towns have encouraged anyone to sign on.

The law is quite clear - you can only sign on the padron in the town in which you have your "habitual home". That means that you must live there for more than 6 months of the year.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:20 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Back in 2003, most estate agents didn´t know better and thought they were doing a "better" service and helping people to put them on the padron

Davexf
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, agree entirely but you can understand the logic of the Ayuntamiento as they get more money from central government for every person on the padron.

As a result some towns have encouraged anyone to sign on.

The law is quite clear - you can only sign on the padron in the town in which you have your "habitual home". That means that you must live there for more than 6 months of the year.
yes, I understand why the Ayuntamientos want you to register - our town has had campaigns to get everyone to do just that - but afaik stopped short of encouraging non-residents to do so

I just don't understand why people who have nothing to gain from it are encouraging it - & worse, to register to vote when they don't live here - you can't vote in 2 countries
Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Back in 2003, most estate agents didn´t know better and thought they were doing a "better" service and helping people to put them on the padron

Davexf
yes - but that's a long time ago - but it STILL happens today
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:00 am
Just Joined

tell them 'queremos bajarnos, porque no vivimos en España más'

Thank you all for your replies, we thought we were doing the right thing as they explained to us it would result in extra policing etc now we are facing the repercussions of over 2000 Euros!!!! I'm in the army so there's no way I could be living in Spain, suppose I should have checked it all out. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Import tax on car

yes, I understand why the Ayuntamientos want you to register - our town has had campaigns to get everyone to do just that - but afaik stopped short of encouraging non-residents to do so

I just don't understand why people who have nothing to gain from it are encouraging it - & worse, to register to vote when they don't live here - you can't vote in 2 countries

yes - but that's a long time ago - but it STILL happens today
Did you know that when you leave UK you can remain on the electoral roll for 15 years and vote. For poor pensioners this matters since the government only listen to those who have lots of cash or can form a significant voting block at election time. Saga Power is coming.

Also I am a firm believer in democracy and if I am going to hand over a significant part of my money to often "corrupt" politicians then I want the ability to influence how they behave.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Did you know that when you leave UK you can remain on the electoral roll for 15 years and vote. For poor pensioners this matters since the government only listen to those who have lots of cash or can form a significant voting block at election time. Saga Power is coming.

Also I am a firm believer in democracy and if I am going to hand over a significant part of my money to often "corrupt" politicians then I want the ability to influence how they behave.
yes. I had forgotten that about the voting........

however - it doesn't detract from the padrón issue - as the law stands it is illegal to be on the padrón if you spend less than 6 months a year in your property here

so for many if not most holiday home owners it is simply against the law for them to be on the padrón - & therefore to vote in Spain, too

it doesn't only apply to foreigners, either - Spanish nationals who have holiday homes can't choose where to be on the padrón & vote - it has to be at their primary address
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:13 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

it doesn't only apply to foreigners, either - Spanish nationals who have holiday homes can't choose where to be on the padrón & vote - it has to be at their primary address
That is party the key to why many town halls encouraged it. Most tourist towns have a summer population many times higher than normal. Thus the facilities are out of all proportion to the need so they really do need the extra money.

In many areas the summer tourists are Spanish who have second homes but cannot be on the Padron so they encourage the foreign holiday home owners to sign on.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Fred, how does this apply to people that rent here for more than 6 months?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Michael74

Fred, how does this apply to people that rent here for more than 6 months?
I've been renting here for 8 years - it's my habitual home & I'm on the padrón, of course

it has nothing to do with home ownership
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As Lynne says, it only depends on where you live not owner or renter.