Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Malaga tries to go highbrow

Malaga tries to go highbrow

Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:25 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Malaga tries to go highbrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14127033

Philip Graham is standing in the Museo Picasso Malaga (MPM). "I've also been to Picasso's birthplace and to the Carmen Thyssen Museum which is full of Spanish art," he says. "It's a real revelation. And we've done it all on foot."

The museums located in the pedestrian-only part of town are the result of careful planning by the city of Malaga to update its image and bring back the sort of discerning, high-spending tourist that characterised its early days.
I wish them luck. I suppose the problem is that southern coast of Andalucia has a certain image of cheap holidays, sun, sea and sangria, that will be difficult to shake off.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:01 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malaga tries to go highbrow

There seems to be quite a few Picasso museums in Spain. The one in málaga is not very impressive although they have relaunched it recently so it may have improved. The admission fee is around 6 euro. Most EU countries do not charge entrance fees for EU citizens. Can never understand why the national Gallery UK and all the others are free, must be one of the best galleries in Europe. Even Pompei doesn't charge to get in.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There seems to be quite a few Picasso museums in Spain. The one in málaga is not very impressive although they have relaunched it recently so it may have improved. The admission fee is around 6 euro. Most EU countries do not charge entrance fees for EU citizens. Can never understand why the national Gallery UK and all the others are free, must be one of the best galleries in Europe. Even Pompei doesn't charge to get in.
I'm fairly sure English galleries used to charge (and scottish equivalents were free), but then Tony Blair changed it (one of his plus points I suppose). Wouldn't surprise me to see this reversed with the current need for cuts.
Doesn't the Picasso have a free slot on Saturdays? I know the Prado and Reina Sofia in Madrid did when I was there.
I would rate the British Museum above the National Gallery (different thing I know) for must-sees in London. I still think the Prado in Madrid edges it though.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm fairly sure English galleries used to charge (and scottish equivalents were free), but then Tony Blair changed it (one of his plus points I suppose). Wouldn't surprise me to see this reversed with the current need for cuts.
Doesn't the Picasso have a free slot on Saturdays? I know the Prado and Reina Sofia in Madrid did when I was there.
I would rate the British Museum above the National Gallery (different thing I know) for must-sees in London. I still think the Prado in Madrid edges it though.
I would disagree with you there... but not too loudly, #1 son works at the BM!!

National Gallery was free yonks ago, way before Blair's days, though whether it's changed a number of times I don't know.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Even Pompei doesn't charge to get in.
It does charge. It's free to EU citizens under 26 or over 65.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:16 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Incidentally, if we're talking about art treasures, someone's kindly mapped out various places in Spain on the following link, so you can see what's close to you. Quite a few architectural gems in there, it seems.

http://www.ikimap.com/map/357
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:35 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14127033"] I suppose the problem is that southern coast of Andalucia has a certain image of cheap holidays, sun, sea and sangria, that will be difficult to shake off.
I think the image of a haven for Brit criminals will be hard to shake.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by missile
I think the image of a haven for Brit criminals will be hard to shake.
I agree, but I think the reality is you're more in danger from a currently operating street or people-trafficking gang than an old has-been crook who just wants to spend his ill-gotten pounds on the Costa.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest obstacle to changing the coasts image is the junta who spends millions promoting andalucía and what do they do.....put on free paella, sangria and flamenco dancing in London.

There is culture, there are clubs which run regular trip to the theatre or to see the málaga orchestra. marbella has put on some great music and opera performances in the open air (not anymore). They should have more open air concerts in the summer instead of a few beach events aimed at 18 year old locals. Even when they do something interesting they fail on publicity with many only finding out after the event.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

What a pity that art and 'culture' are seen as highbrow.

Last edited by rachelk; Jul 21st 2011 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I would disagree with you there... but not too loudly, #1 son works at the BM!!

National Gallery was free yonks ago, way before Blair's days, though whether it's changed a number of times I don't know.
It's a small world......my cousin works there too!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest obstacle to changing the coasts image is the junta who spends millions promoting andalucía and what do they do.....put on free paella, sangria and flamenco dancing in London.

There is culture, there are clubs which run regular trip to the theatre or to see the málaga orchestra. marbella has put on some great music and opera performances in the open air (not anymore). They should have more open air concerts in the summer instead of a few beach events aimed at 18 year old locals. Even when they do something interesting they fail on publicity with many only finding out after the event.
Yes there have been many occasions when we would have attended an event had we only known about it before hand.
They really do need to improve their communication skills if they want people to attend all the cultural and social events that happen here!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:43 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. Are we talking about the city or the province?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:45 am
Banned

I agree, but I think the reality is you're more in danger from a currently operating street or people-trafficking gang than an old has-been crook who just wants to spend his ill-gotten pounds on the Costa.
The problem was that the "has been crooks" remained active. They diverted to drug cartels and timeshare. That is why there have been so many shootings. I agree that tourists are more in danger from the street gangs, the big time crooks only shoot each other...unless you get caught in the crossfire.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The crooks may not be shooting me, nevertheless I would rather not live beside them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.