Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Immigration into Spain, attempt no 2

Immigration into Spain, attempt no 2

Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:51 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration into Spain, attempt no 2

Originally Posted by jdr
I`m still saving me pension up for a blast.

You know it more expensive to use the trademans entrance dont you)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:51 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

As I have earlier pointed out, only 10 years ago the number of immigrants living in Spain was under 5% of the population, today it is 13%. Perhaps that is too much too fast to chew for a country which has traditionally been very homogenous.

Or perhaps calling Spain homogenous is an error as Spain consists of apart from the Spaniards of the Catalans, the Basques and the Galicians but they are national minorities and that is a different thing.

Is it true that in some areas in Catalonia or the Basque-country Spaniards are regarded as immigrants?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
How much????

I'm paying 6 euros/hora for my cleaner.
To be fair, the 13 euros per hour was in Barcelona. More expensive there.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
As I have earlier pointed out, only 10 years ago the number of immigrants living in Spain was under 5% of the population, today it is 13%. Perhaps that is too much too fast to chew for a country which has traditionally been very homogenous.

Or perhaps calling Spain homogenous is an error as Spain consists of apart from the Spaniards of the Catalans, the Basques and the Galicians but they are national minorities and that is a different thing.

Is it true that in some areas in Catalonia or the Basque-country Spaniards are regarded as immigrants?
Oh dear, Spain is just about the most un-homogenous country in the planet! That's kind of spoilt your argument, what do you actually know about Spain!!??

It's provincies have the most political autonomy of any country in the world including the USA. It is a very diverse place! Just look at food, language, climate, industry, average income etc. by province.

I actually think Spain has coped with the flood of immigrants very well (and it has been a flood like you said). No riots as yet, only one attempted lynching The line the papers role out is "Remember, we were immigrants once"
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Veleta
How much????

I'm paying 6 euros/hora for my cleaner.
Some poor immigrant I expect! I charge 10 euros an hour for private classes one to one but I wouldn't clean for that. The Spanish charge 15 euros for classes but then 13 of that goes to their cleaners I suppose.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Oh dear, Spain is just about the most un-homogenous country in the planet!

It's provincies have the most political autonomy of any country in the world including the USA. It is a very diverse place! Just look at food, language, industry, average income etc. by province.

I actually think Spain has coped with the flood of immigrants very well (and it has been a flood like you said). No riots as yet, only one attempted lynching The line the papers role out is "Remember, we were immigrants once"

There were riots a few years back, when the crops did not get picked because of race riots in Elejido.............We had passed though a few day before, that how I remember.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/635092.stm
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:02 pm
THR
Account Closed

Oh dear, Spain is just about the most un-homogenous country in the planet! That's kind of spoilt your argument, what do you actually know about Spain!!??

It's provincies have the most political autonomy of any country in the world including the USA. It is a very diverse place! Just look at food, language, climate, industry, average income etc. by province.

You can't deny that outside Catalonia, the Basque country and Galicia, Spain has been very homogenous since anyone can remember. The recent wave of immigration has therefore been very unsettling to the population.

I know my Spanish geography, please don't be condescending.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS
There were riots a few years back, when the crops did not get picked because of race riots in Elejido.............We had passed though a few day before, that how I remember.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/635092.stm
just the odd riot then
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I actually think that what you’ve done is amazing and praiseworthy, running a pub in a hell hole in Spain and then becoming a sheep farmer on Dartmoor. You’ve got to be a one-off.

The difference between you and I is that I’ve lived in both places as well and love them both, although Spain has won me over, both the weather and the people.
Oh yeah I remember you... you are the one who doubt what everyone has done like you are the only one who has ever done anything....

What a lovely life you must have in Spain, you know, to keep coming on here and be all snide and sniping.

Now I'm sure Fred said something about keeping the discussion civil.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by THR
You can't deny that outside Catalonia, the Basque country and Galicia, Spain has been very homogenous since anyone can remember. The recent wave of immigration has therefore been very unsettling to the population.

Yes I CAN deny that. That is a very ignorant statement

My Asturian other half feels like a foreigner in Andalucia, she doesnt recognise anything as her country; as much as she felt a foreigner in Catalunya. Really, they have completely different histories and origins!

Then traditionally there are two different cultures in "Castellano" Spain; the Castillian tradition (based in Madrid) and the Andalucian tradition. Depending which culture and history you follow you'd be wearing different clothes, eating different food, dancing to different types of music, riding different horses etc etc.

Even travelling around Andalucia, being in Huelva or Sevilla isnt very much like being in Malaga or Granada or God fordid, the Amerian desert.

What kind of homogenous-ness are you refering to!? Don't believe Franco's propaganda!

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 18th 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish are much the same as any other nation re. immigration. Now the recession has hit there is a lot of resentment. My neighbour complains about the Romanians on the coast and claims that you can hire two of them for one spaniard. Not saying if it is true or not but that is the sort of things people are saying...human nature.
Banned

just the odd riot then
I have never really googled before, but racims is a worldwide thing. Even within countries, which should be at peace.

African tribes are at was with their neigbours of a different tribe, and Spain has its fair share of rasism, lets no kid ourselves that all incomers are welcome.

Because it is not true of any country or people.

Spain has people that start riots at every opportunity just like in the UK.

It may be pure racism or just an excuse for a ruckuss, who knows? I dont.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4708754.ece
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by THR

You were right about Catalonia and the Basque country treating workers from other parts of Spain like immigrants and making the poor buggers learn their language or else. However the Gallegos are not so bad with their climate their glad to get anyone.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The Spanish are much the same as any other nation re. immigration. Now the recession has hit there is a lot of resentment. My neighbour complains about the Romanians on the coast and claims that you can hire two of them for one spaniard. Not saying if it is true or not but that is the sort of things people are saying...human nature.
I said the same in a thread just as the recession was kicking in. When people have money in their pocket, well paid secure jobs and some stability things like immigration don't matter a drop but the second anyone starts to feel the pinch the easiest thing to do is to point the finger. A not too dissimilar situation happened in the '20's and 30's in Germany....
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:15 pm
THR
Account Closed

However, one would imagine that it is not very difficult for the Romanians to learn the language as Spanish and Romanian are related languages but it is a completely different matter with other eastern-Europeans.

Have you seen the BBC-documentary about Romanian gypsy-thieves operating in Spain and in Italy? I don't think the BBC has any right-wing bias of being anti-immigration.

The documenatry showed how there are palace-like houses in Romania mainly financed by Romanians begging and stealing in Western-Europe.

I'll find the link if you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.