British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Immigration into Spain, attempt no 2 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/immigration-into-spain-attempt-no-2-a-664483/)

THR Apr 17th 2010 10:21 pm

Immigration into Spain, attempt no 2

My earlier thread on this topic was closed because the mod said it got too personal etc. I'm starting this thread and stating that I am 100% certain that I have never met any people posting here, so that's for the too personal.

The issue itself interests me to no end and I'd like to receive balanced views how immigration has affected your neighbourhood.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 17th 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Immigration into Spain, attempt no 2

Originally Posted by THR (Post 8503923)
My earlier thread on this topic was closed because the mod said it got too personal etc. I'm starting this thread and stating that I am 100% certain that I have never met any people posting here, so that's for the too personal.

The issue itself interests me to no end and I'd like to receive balanced views how immigration has affected your neighbourhood.

Where I live,...not one iota of difference.:D

Jur Apr 17th 2010 11:20 pm

In my neighbourhood we´ve got as far as I know 3 Dutch, 1 German, 6 Brits, 1 Italian and 2 Polish living. All integrated in Spanish society, school, church, cultural life,etc. Bit of vandalism by Spanish youngsters. Some Portuguese drive too fast through our street. British can´t tell signs for handicapped parking. Those are the worst problems.

THR, Where do you live and how´s your neighbourhood affected by foreigners/immigrants/expats or are you one of them?

THR Apr 17th 2010 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 8503973)

THR, Where do you live and how´s your neighbourhood affected by foreigners/immigrants/expats or are you one of them?

I live in London, therefore posting here is is a bit off the mark, but the issues of the British expats interest me so immensely that I can't refrain from posting.

Wendy Nesbeth Apr 18th 2010 12:16 am

Originally Posted by THR (Post 8503991)
I live in London, therefore posting here is is a bit off the mark, but the issues of the British expats interest me so immensely that I can't refrain from posting.

I wish we had another home in London as well as here in Spain.

manamama Apr 18th 2010 8:51 am

Hi

In my particular town, in Asturias, in regards to immigration, there are a few Senegales , one Moroccan family, one Rumanian family (although they have just "disappeared" - the little girl was in my sons class and he says she just left!), there are many from South American in other bigger towns

As for Brits I have come across about 12 (although in Gijon and Oviedo) not in my town.

JLFS Apr 18th 2010 8:58 am

Most part of Spain dont have such a varied variety of immingrants as there are on the costas. So it is a difficult one to answer.

The British are usually confined to southern Spain (not all of course) and the ones that are not in the normal areas, are very well thought of, as most have jobs, or came to "retire".

There are large numbers of South American immigrants in most parts of Spain, norma as there is a common language, and most can claim a parental link to Spain anyway.

The Eastern Europeans are quite widely extended.

As for Scandanavians and ´germans, very few and far between, away from the usual hot spots.

rachelk Apr 18th 2010 9:14 am

Speaking of brits in spain

John Carlin, in today's El País

JLFS Apr 18th 2010 9:23 am

Originally Posted by rachelk (Post 8504507)

What an eye opener, I had no idea that Ian Rush was such a philosopher and deep thinker.:rofl:

steviedeluxe Apr 18th 2010 9:24 am

Thanks for that link. I'm of a similar opinion - I don't think Rooney would adapt well to life in Madrid, if he changed club. I don't think it's going to happen anyway, Man U will do their best to hang on to him.

steviedeluxe Apr 18th 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by THR (Post 8503991)

Plenty of migrants live and work in London. I think they've made the place a lot better, but I'm sure you'd have a different opinion.

Veleta Apr 18th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by THR (Post 8503923)

There has been no effect whatsoever on my neighbourhood from immigration.

The city as a whole only seems to be affected in the town centre where there are some Romanian beggars who bug you whilst you are trying to eat and for some reason there has been an influx this year of the people who sell Kleenex at the traffic lights.....they never came here before so I don't know why this year is special.

elspeth sinclair Apr 18th 2010 9:39 am

I don't think Carlin mentioned anything about Brits in Spain, only footballers and they are a race apart wherever they go.

Fred James Apr 18th 2010 9:47 am

You must have missed the bit about the stereotypical Brit tourist who ends up unconscious in the morning on the beach in Ibiza dressed as a prostitute or a nun, having drunk industrial quantities of tequila and beer.

I think we have all seen a few of those but at least they go back to the UK!

rachelk Apr 18th 2010 9:50 am

Not only does he mention the typical (non-footballer) brits in spain today, he mentions in passing the historical attitudes of the Brits abroad. Food for thought.