Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I'm back...with a million apologies

I'm back...with a million apologies

Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm back...with a million apologies

Hello everyone

Firstly, I want to say a BIG sorry for not getting to the Javea meet. There were really very good reasons I was unable to make it...honest.

Basically, when we arrived to stay with OH's brother and SIL, there were all sorts of atmospheres. It took until Friday morning for it all to kick off, but they are having all sorts of awful marriage problems (which I really don't want to go into here) and are in the process of splitting up
The rest of our 'visit' seemed to be taken up with marriage guidance, trying to keep the peace for the sake of MIL (who came out with us, for the first visit to their fantastic villa). I seemed to be given the job of go-between, which wasn't at all easy I can tell you.
As a result, we really couldn't: a) come away for the meet leaving the situation as it was and leave MIL in a war zone, b) bring MIL and leave the warring partners to it...too bloody and nasty by far and worst of all, I had no way of contacting anyone to tell them what the hell was going on, as I had left before getting any contact details, and no access to the internet to let you all know online!

So, a million apologies to all, and sad that we missed the chance to meet you all.

Instead of having the freedom to go out exploring during the day on our own, we ended up having to take MIL and BIL out with us every day. That curtailed it all a little, as MIL is 81 and there is only so much we could expect of her. We were getting back at 5-5.30 every evening, tired, only for me to have to start cooking a meal for the 4 of us whilst SIL stood smoking like a train, watching me do it and constantly ranting about her marriage.

Not the most successful of trips.Still, we made the best of a bad job basically. One thing is for certain, we will never, ever be staying there again.

I feel totally shattered right now, as we have been travelling since 8 this morning, but I really wanted to at least apologise, and give explanations. Now I am off to bed to catch up on some rest. Will fill you all in tomorrow sometime as to how the trip actually went in between living in an episode of Eastenders for the last 4 days!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm back...with a million apologies

Sorry to hear of your troubles ... or their troubles should I say .... you were missed, we wondered what had happened
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Sorry to hear of your troubles ... or their troubles should I say .... you were missed, we wondered what had happened
I notice I wasn't missed!!

Welcome back CM.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:09 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear Sally - what a terrible dilemma Were you still able to view any properties - or is that a silly question You would think someone would have warned you!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:16 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

Welcome back CM.
Why, where have you been?

Sally, I am gutted for you. I really hope you managed to salvage something out of your trip, hopefully you will be able to tell us more tomorrow
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:44 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

What a dreadful shame all round, it must have been a nightmare for all concerned. You were so looking forward to be able to get out and about and check things out in a way time and money wasted but then on the other hand at least you were there for BIL, it is a shame SIL could not have been a little bit more social about it (or maybe she was not really for me to say).

Your home now Sally it won;t be long before you are back in the throws of everyday cornish life
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:47 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey! Sounds like a one-off Mike Leigh film. I can imagine Brenda Blethyn and Timothy Spall being auditioned for the parts.

Sorry is was cack CM.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:21 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Sally, oh what a shame your trip turned out so awful for you,I know you were looking forward to the meet-up has well,I was wondering what had happened when I noticed you didn,t make it.You would of thought that Sil and your brother-in-law could of contained themselves for a few days whilst you were there. and not very nice for MIL and Bil either
Its such a waste of a trip,well your back home again now,Id leave them to get on with it,its such a downer that you missed the meet though.....
Never mind chin up hey.......... there,s always next time
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

What a shame ... and bloody exhausting too. I guessed you had good reasons for not coming to Javea as you had been trying to clarify everything before you went.

Better luck next time you visit.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

No need to apologise about missing the meet up, it is not your fault that the family are having problems. We all knew that you were going to do your level best to turn up so were concerned when you did not arrive and were sorry not to meet you. I think that we would all like to meet up again (well probably provided that the Oddities do not turn up) so you will have other opportunities to meet the 'gang'.

Hope that you were still able to see some of the houses that you had selected on the internet and that your journey was not totally wasted. Also hope that the Sold sign will go up soon. What about a house swap with BIL & SIL and let them fight it out in Cornwall instead of Spain!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm back...with a million apologies ..pt 2

Ok guys, have got my head together again, caught up with all the washing etc and now I can tell you about my trip! (leaving out all the nasty bits...see earlier post!)

We arrived Thursday late morning/early afternoon and travelled to BIL/SIL's place. Spent the afternoon round the pool, as we had had no sleep the night before.

Friday, Terry and I set out heading toward Ayora valley area. Somehow or another we ended updoing a whole load more than that for the day. We visited Xativa, Ontinyente, Cocentaina before going on to Ayora, Teresa des Cofrentes, Zarra and Jalance. The weather was wet to start with, but cleared up and was perfect for touring round

We thought the Ayora valley was very pretty, not such dramatic landscape as the Cocentaina/Alcoy areas, but still quite lovely. I particularly likes Teresa Des Cofrentes. It wasn't until we got to Zarra that we discovered there is a large incinerator planned in the area. All sorts of placards etc dotted round crying out against it. That, together with the Nuclear power station at Cofrentes put us off the area slightly. Although we wouldn't rule it out totally.

Going back to the Cocentaina/Alcoy areas just reinforced what we had thought of it back in January last time we were out. We really love it! Anywhere from there heading towards the Jalon areas we thought were spectacular.
After nearly 9 hours of being out and about we headed back to base....

Friday we went off to check out the other side of the Mariola national park. Lovely scenery again. A long day again, out for about 8 hours.

Saturday back we went to Mariola region. Explored Bocairent...what a gorgeous place! Town was lovely, scenery fantastic, people friendly. Lots of walking, taking in the atmosphere.

Sunday we headed up towards Gandia and inland from there. God, there is just so much to see.

Monday we headed to Calpe for our appointment with Search and Survey, who do a package for those of us moving to Spain. Very pleasant woman, Adele, did a presentation. No hard sell, very, very helpful and informative. We signed on the dotted line and they will now be helping us with finding/checking out properties that we have found on t'internet. They also do a service of structural surveys on the properties you want to buy etc. An all round package from all accounts. Let's hope we will be using them really soon!

So, that is a very much precied version of it all. We packed a hell of a lot in, but that was what were there for. No viewing of properties this time, merely getting a real feel of the place and trying to make decisions as to where we want to settle. Enjoyed sampling the tapas bars in the mountain areas. No Spanish spoken, so it tested our Michel Thomas teachings...we managed to get ourselves understood!

As I explained earlier, a lot of other crap threatened to get in the way of it all, but we managed to compartmentalise those things and deal with them when we returned every evening.

Sorry if this has been long and rambling, but thought I would share our adventure with you all!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:47 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Welcome back CM.
OOOH you are SO needy Matt!!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
OOOH you are SO needy Matt!!
God I cant win can I?

I post less and I am needy, I post more and I am posting too much!!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:48 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Blimey! Sounds like a one-off Mike Leigh film. I can imagine Brenda Blethyn and Timothy Spall being auditioned for the parts.

Sorry is was cack CM.
A girl I work with is Brenda Blethyns Sister in law. Thought you might like to know that
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:50 pm
Fed up in England!!

God I cant win can I?

I post less and I am needy, I post more and I am posting too much!!
you are needy cos you were asking about being missesd
course you are missed !!!