Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

If you won the lottery would you stay in the same area?

If you won the lottery would you stay in the same area?

Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you won the lottery would you stay in the same area?

House in old Malaga seafront, anywhere up to about 5th line... - El Limonar/Pedregalego/etc. Flat in N London. Then think a bit because all that property would require maintenance. Somewhere in N Argentina if funds allowed. nb OH agrees with Rotor, often says he wouldn't buy again. I would but mainly because my family had a property/land ethic.

Forgot to say would definitely keep our house, but keep an eye out for a buyer to get somewhere similar but flatter (land, not house!) and nearer the coastal strip!

Last edited by fionamw; Oct 29th 2011 at 2:38 pm. Reason: dodgy memory
Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I'd even stay in the same flat I think. I'd just travel a bit more instead of going to work, that's all.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Yes. I'd even stay in the same flat I think. I'd just travel a bit more instead of going to work, that's all.
What she said.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby would follow the F1 races all round the world, so i wouln't have to move ha ha ha
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Why move if you are happy where you are, If one is financially viable then any extra would not, certainly at my age, make much difference.
Would be great to set the kids up for life though.

Graham
Old Oct 29th 2011, 7:31 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes good point. Luxury hotels suit me fine

I like the idea of the woman who lived for years on the old QEII ship, she said it cost less than an old people home in Florida.
I can't figure it out. Every cruise is almost a repetition, that'd have to be the most boring lifestyle going, sounds more like she was trying to escape the fact that her husband died whilst on the cruise ship and she can't face life without him.

I'd deffinatly want to buy a bigger property over here if we won the lottery.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:26 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I'd stay where I am but would probably buy a house in Spain and also one near my very best friend who lives too far away
Old Oct 29th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes good point. Luxury hotels suit me fine

I like the idea of the woman who lived for years on the old QEII ship, she said it cost less than an old people home in Florida.

I would like to build a new home for dogs and cats complete with free neutering unit in andalucía.
I would like to do the same, in fact I'm going to leave an amount to animal charities even if I don't win the lottery!

I wouldn't move away from this area, I would just buy a much bigger house.
I'd buy a second home in Cornwall though so that I could escape the heat of July and August which I don't enjoy very much.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 7:45 am
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

For me one place in Valencia, one in Asturias, one in London... so we can keep with our best friends and family... and travel a lot.

If I had money to go to very expensive hotels (still remember the Plaza and the Waldorf Astoria in NY and Fairmont Royal York in Toronto for our honeymoon.. those were the times!), I wouldn't give a s*** about staff being nice out of their personalities or for a good tip. I just want them to be nice and would be happy to pay 10 quid for a sandwich... only I wouldn't have a sandwich, mind you!

BTW... the Plaza a bit disappointing and the Waldorf Astoria has the best beds ever! And... if you book online you save almost half and can look for cheap flights too, so going to luxury hotels abroad is not such a distant dream and it's something you will definitely remember... que nos quiten lo bailao!
Old Oct 30th 2011, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Advance apology - this is an aside! I enjoy eva's occasional little Spanish expressions, which sometimes I understand sometimes I don't. Today I didn't understand 'que nos quiten lo bailao' .... just google translated it and it came up with 'take away what we bailao'. Back to the drawing board. Lateral thinking. Stick a 'd' in to make it 'bailado'.... whole different ball game! Removed as we danced, obviously not the colloquial meaning but at least it has meaning! Languages who'd 'ave 'em

Back on topic, RachelK's idea of staying in the same place and travelling more bears some thinking about, but I still reckon I'd rather be lower down and nearer the coast. The Tardis effect - Temperature and Distance related in Spain
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:08 am
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Good and common expression to show off your Spanish!

"Que nos quiten lo bailao" cannot be translated literally, it means that you have already done something you enjoyed, and memories cannot be taken away.

"Bailao" is the vulgar of "bailado", participle of the verb "bailar" (=to dance)

In our case it means that although we cannot afford now what we did in our honeymoon (and I mean financially, you dirty minds! ), the memories cannot be erased, so "que nos quiten lo bailao!"
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit this was a new expression to me. As mentioned, it's one of those expressions that perhaps can't be translated directly into English. Perhaps we'd say "They can't take away our memories" or "we made hay while the sun shined.."
To return to the hotel issue. I suppose that they can never replace "home". No matter how luxurious and large the apartment, it won't have your favourite books, your personal pictures and mementoes nor your plants or pets. They are sometimes necessary for short stays, but I'd hate to spend a long time in a hotel room, no matter how "luxurious".
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:54 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I have to admit this was a new expression to me. As mentioned, it's one of those expressions that perhaps can't be translated directly into English. Perhaps we'd say "They can't take away our memories" or "we made hay while the sun shined.."
To return to the hotel issue. I suppose that they can never replace "home". No matter how luxurious and large the apartment, it won't have your favourite books, your personal pictures and mementoes nor your plants or pets. They are sometimes necessary for short stays, but I'd hate to spend a long time in a hotel room, no matter how "luxurious".
I'd say 'Make hay while the sun shines' means that when conditions for something are good, then you should be concentrating on doing that.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw

RachelK's idea of staying in the same place and travelling more bears some thinking about, but I still reckon I'd rather be lower down and nearer the coast. The Tardis effect - Temperature and Distance related in Spain
I realised as I wrote that, about how I wouldn't change even my flat, how lucky I am to be so content.....However I'd like to modify slightly and say that as well as travelling I'd employ a cleaner

And as for nearer the coast, any nearer and I'd get my feet wet. I have a first line view over the port and the bay that would be difficult to match anywhere. (It's what I tell myself when I have a bad day at work...)

Originally Posted by fionamw
'que nos quiten lo bailao'
Eurovision, Fiona. Eurovision

Last edited by rachelk; Oct 30th 2011 at 9:48 am.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:55 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I'd say 'Make hay while the sun shines' means that when conditions for something are good, then you should be concentrating on doing that.
Don't I know it and never more so than in the literary translation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.