Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

If you think your circumstances have changed with the crisis....

If you think your circumstances have changed with the crisis....

Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you think your circumstances have changed with the crisis....

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I used to believethat too. However I have since found that there are at least two countries Australia and Cyprus where you can export a Government pension untaxed and then take advantage of the overseas tax regime.

This is particularly advantageous for Cypus resident pensioners where you can choose a flat 5% tax rate. Ok the fund has not moved because it is not funded but the effect is the same save for the exchange rate problems.

</IMG>
I am no expert on this but I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you did this, then the pension might remain at the level when you effected the swap
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:05 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encodeme
Do you need a winter fuel allowance in a warm country? I wish I got one too.
YES WE DO but unfortunately we are not yet pensionable age and so don't get anything towards our heating. However, there is plenty of wood to be collected aroundabouts and we have a lovely log fire going As has already been said, houses here are not adequately insulated and so although they are cool in the summer they are COLD in the winter. Some days it's warmer to sit outside - am I right jdr
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

At the risk of ruffling feathers, I object to Big wheels comment on fuel payments.
At I have stated previously both my husband and I have paid taxes at high rate and insurance stamps all our working lives. Its not being desperate for the money but WE ARE INTITlED TO IT
We have never taken anything out of the UK coffers only helped to support the less fortunate with handouts for free housing etc.
Now we are old age, I guess its nice to get a tiny percentage back
. Yes it can be very cold in Spain sometimes of the year and I do feel the cold so much.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
YES WE DO but unfortunately we are not yet pensionable age and so don't get anything towards our heating. However, there is plenty of wood to be collected aroundabouts and we have a lovely log fire going As has already been said, houses here are not adequately insulated and so although they are cool in the summer they are COLD in the winter. Some days it's warmer to sit outside - am I right jdr
Certainly is, sometimes we are on the balcony as it is warmer than in the apartment. ;-))
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

My parents moved to spain for a better life where they could stretch their limited pension further.
Also since they worked all their lives in uk paying tax ect why shouldnt they get their discount?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
. Yes it can be very cold in Spain sometimes of the year and I do feel the cold so much.

I agree it does get very cold here in Spain. But for how long??
Are you spending more than 10% of your annual income on fuel bills? That is the figure quoted by the UK government as being the reason for giving out this payment to UK residents.

Yes we've all paid into the UK system for years. BUT by deciding to cut our ties by leaving the country and setting up home abroad, I don't see how we can complain if the winter fuel payment is stopped for expats.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:42 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

One tries ones best..............Every little helps

Queen fights crunch with Xmas cutbacks
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...-CRACKERS.html
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by big wheels
Yes we've all paid into the UK system for years. BUT by deciding to cut our ties by leaving the country and setting up home abroad, I don't see how we can complain if the winter fuel payment is stopped for expats.
Hard to see how it is an allowance taking into account year round fuel bills. It's what it says on the can isn't it "Winter Fuel Allowance"

Surely you get it because you became entitled whilst still living in the UK. On the basis you put forward we shouldn't be entitled to the state pension either. Try that one on here if you want to be really popular.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:55 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Hard to see how it is an allowance taking into account year round fuel bills. It's what it says on the can isn't it "Winter Fuel Allowance"

Surely you get it because you became entitled whilst still living in the UK. On the basis you put forward we shouldn't be entitled to the state pension either. Try that one on here if you want to be really popular.
What you say is right it is part of the pension although it can be claimed at 60 by men also, I moved here before I was 60 so can`t claim it from Spain although it should be part of my living entitlement after paying into the system for 45 years.
It is also a household payment so if there are two pensioners at the address they only get it once.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:12 am
fed up with england

helenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nicehelenba is just really nice

Originally Posted by encodeme
Do you need a winter fuel allowance in a warm country? I wish I got one too.
cold it gets bloody cold from know till march in almeria .you need the winter fuel allowence wood is not cheap.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
What you say is right it is part of the pension although it can be claimed at 60 by men also, I moved here before I was 60 so can`t claim it from Spain although it should be part of my living entitlement after paying into the system for 45 years.
It is also a household payment so if there are two pensioners at the address they only get it once.
Yes I was entitled for 3 years and no one said. It used to be 65 for males but this had to be changed - they didn't let me know. They wrote to my wife just before her 60th.

Not sure about what you say about the 2 pensioner rule though because my in-laws get the payment and so does my wife (all been paid this year) and I was told I can also claim. We all live together.I've put in the claim and will post again if I get the payment. They wont be paying me anything for the lost years though.

Last edited by Justlookin; Dec 8th 2008 at 11:29 am. Reason: overlooked a point
Old Dec 8th 2008, 12:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Yes I was entitled for 3 years and no one said. It used to be 65 for males but this had to be changed - they didn't let me know. They wrote to my wife just before her 60th.

Not sure about what you say about the 2 pensioner rule though because my in-laws get the payment and so does my wife (all been paid this year) and I was told I can also claim. We all live together.I've put in the claim and will post again if I get the payment. They wont be paying me anything for the lost years though.
Perhaps you are right then, but it does ask if anyone else is over 60 in your household.

Also have a look here about claiming back payments, let me know the outcome on the back of a 50€ note. ;-)
Old Dec 8th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: If you think your circumstances have changed with the crisis....

When one in the household reaches 60 that person gets the full allowance for that year. When the second reaches 60 it is halved and each gets half.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I agree with you Just looking
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

John and Kath are right. I lived at my in-laws when I became 60 and was told I could not claim it as it was already being payed to the household for the 2 of them.
If I had been living with my son it would have been paid to me because no-one in that household was claiming it.

Last edited by thatman; Dec 8th 2008 at 6:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.