Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Iceland in Fuengirola

Iceland in Fuengirola

Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iceland in Fuengirola

Originally Posted by cricketman
Not true. Up until very recently, Zara made all its clothes in Iberia. Now some stuff is made in China, but still the majority is made in Spain and Portugal.

Personally I buy brands that are made in Europe (e.g. Camper, Lacoste, Diesel). While they are more expensive, they last almost a whole lifetime rather than about 5 washes. So they are actually cheaper over say 5-10 years and they look better as well
Zara (a non-contraversal name ?) is not the only brand in the market place, too many items show their origins whilst maquerading under a brand name, many don't.

even the sweat shops of Leicester and similar locations in the UK are closing down due to imports. It is cheaper to bring in a complete container from the otherside of the world than to make locally and still make profit.
the public are only going to wear an item 5 or 6 times before going out to buy some more, so why should it last ?

however, I use the same buying principle as yourself, preferring quality over price, as quality keeps its form, becomes part of you and you feel comfortable - the whole idea of getting dressed in the first place, otherwise we might as well stay with our standard toga held in place with a clasp.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:36 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lacoste has most of it's stuff made in China, Thailand etc. Although OH has a wool jersey bought 20 years ago from lacoste in Fuengirola, still looks as good as new. I think the quality of material is as important as style. Love anything in silk or linen.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Lacoste has most of it's stuff made in China, Thailand etc. Although OH has a wool jersey bought 20 years ago from lacoste in Fuengirola, still looks as good as new. I think the quality of material is as important as style. Love anything in silk or linen.
None of the stuff I've bought says made in China or Thailand. Believe me I have a lot of Lacoste stuff. They are usually made in France or Portugal, says on the label.

As for Domino saying people throw stuff away after 5 or 6 wears, well they obviously dont like the stuff they buy then A good item of clothing is always fashionable.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:19 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

None of the stuff I've bought says made in China or Thailand. Believe me I have a lot of Lacoste stuff. They are usually made in France or Portugal, says on the label.

As for Domino saying people throw stuff away after 5 or 6 wears, well they obviously dont like the stuff they buy then A good item of clothing is always fashionable.
CM obviously a man !
fashion changes, why do Zara, New Look, TK Maxx. etc etc keep bringing out new ranges ??
women of a certain age will not be seen in an item more than a couple of times, in different places, always looking for something new to parade.
men who do the same are usually rare,
most men seem to enjoy having worn and comfortable and a style they are personally recognised by.
that is why the high street is full of women's clothing and not men's. Perhaps Burtons would like it to change, but it won't.

a man will wear the same suit to the office every day, perhaps a small change of shirt colour and or tie colour. (when working in an office I used to have 3 identical suits with spare trousers so they weren't worn every day and I could get them cleaned regularly. I never bought one shirt, always 3 or 4 at a time.)
a woman will never wear the same things every day or even the same style, and I applaud them for it and respect their right to do so as most mens fashion is too staid and stuck in expectations rather than allowing the same freedom......

has anyone noticed if Iceland Fuengirola are doing clothing ? ? ?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
a woman will never wear the same things every day or even the same style, and I applaud them for it and respect their right to do so as most mens fashion is too staid and stuck in expectations rather than allowing the same freedom......
?
My OH often wears the same thing twice. When she worked in London she had 3-4 expensive good quality suits and outfits (around £300 each) that she would rotate. While her English colleagues would always be in new stuff from places like H&M and Primark.

We worked out they spent more money in a year than my OH (and looked much worse).

Generally, the continental European way is to have a few high quality outfits while the UK and US buy tons of cheap stuff which they have to continually replace.

As for Iceland, no idea
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:46 am

My OH often wears the same thing twice. When she worked in London she had 3-4 expensive good quality suits and outfits (around £300 each) that she would rotate. While her English colleagues would always be in new stuff from places like H&M and Primark.

We worked out they spent more money in a year than my OH (and looked much worse).

Generally, the continental European way is to have a few high quality outfits while the UK and US buy tons of cheap stuff which they have to continually replace.

As for Iceland, no idea
lets face it the UK\US way keeps the charity shops busy. My few brief trips into mainland EU I have been impressed in what I as a mere male of a certain age would call the dress sense of european business women.
even in southern spain in the business community they seem to follow the men's way a bit, but with more dress sense than the dogmatic male.

I always know its hot in Granada, the men take their jackets off when it gets to 43, but never loosen the tie or top button.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, my OH says the same about the UK (except for London which has a great choice)

There are probably 2 types of Spanish woman style-wise. Those from the villages and those from the cities.

Those from the cities with any reasonable kind of income wouldnt be seen dead in C&A. They go to places like Adolfo Dominguez, Caramelo, Massimo Duti, the good selection in El Corte Ingles. While youngsters who can't afford that may go to Zara, Mango, Pull & Bear, Springfield. All the Spanish shops that have invaded the entire world.

Remember that Spanish clothers retailers are no.1 for sales volume across the world. They overtook the US brands recently, so they must be doing something right!
McDonalds and Burger King have invaded the entire world as well, but that doesn't mean they sell good food!

Adolfo Dominguez and Purificacion Garcia are pretty good, and yes you can buy some decent brands in El Corte Ingles. However, what is almost impossible to find in Spain are the designer outlet places where you can buy good quality stuff at really low prices. I've seen a couple advertised, one outside Madrid and one outside Barcelona, called Las Rosas I think, but have never visited one so don't know how good they are. All major towns and cities in the UK seem to have one.

I agree that buying quality is better than going for throwaway items (the old cost per wear theory) but I don't like stuff like Lacoste with instantly recognisable logos, why should I pay to advertise their stuff?

I look for good quality, preferably natural fabrics as well and that is so hard to find in Spain, in women's clothes that is. Every decent menswear shop in Spain will have good, lightweight merino wool sweaters in a good range of colours, but can you find anything similar for women? I've started to look in the better quality children's clothes shops for things like T-shirts and sweaters as the sizes for age 12-14 will fit me and they tend to be better quality than in the women's shops.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
McDonalds and Burger King have invaded the entire world as well, but that doesn't mean they sell good food!

Adolfo Dominguez and Purificacion Garcia are pretty good, and yes you can buy some decent brands in El Corte Ingles. However, what is almost impossible to find in Spain are the designer outlet places where you can buy good quality stuff at really low prices. I've seen a couple advertised, one outside Madrid and one outside Barcelona, called Las Rosas I think, but have never visited one so don't know how good they are. All major towns and cities in the UK seem to have one.

I agree that buying quality is better than going for throwaway items (the old cost per wear theory) but I don't like stuff like Lacoste with instantly recognisable logos, why should I pay to advertise their stuff?

I look for good quality, preferably natural fabrics as well and that is so hard to find in Spain, in women's clothes that is. Every decent menswear shop in Spain will have good, lightweight merino wool sweaters in a good range of colours, but can you find anything similar for women? I've started to look in the better quality children's clothes shops for things like T-shirts and sweaters as the sizes for age 12-14 will fit me and they tend to be better quality than in the women's shops.

Lacoste logos are pretty discreet, only as big as any you will find on a polo or shirt nowadays. Many of their jumpers, coats and trousers you have to look really hard to find a logo

Outlets, well no, because the good shops are in the middle of cities with the odd one being on shopping malls. As for natural fabrics my OH hardly eever buys clothes made of oil products and never had a problem. Some other suggestions... Benetton, Tintoretto, Hoss. Massimo Duti is great for good quality reasonably priced clothes, especially for woman who want to dress clasically.

My OH does miss Jigsaw and Reiss from London though
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Generally I find American clothes to be good quality. When Daughter lived in New York I used to go twice a year and take an empty suitcase, shopped til I dropped.

I have been thinking of going to the new shopping mall in London, Westfield. Supposed to be the biggest in Europe. Would be OH's nightmare of a day out
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I like American brands. If you can find them without obvious logos, the quality is always good and they make the sort of clothes I like, well cut and simple.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:19 pm
Banned

One bargain I did buy in Spain was a linen dress from Alcampo Saw it at the end of a rack when I was at check out. Went back for it...9 euro!! Hasn't dated in 4 years, just a plain shift. Infact almost identical to the one worn by Kate Winslet on TV today only mine is beige.

I missed out on Iceland as I thought their food was crap. Only went once to fuengirola for some Bisto. Last year went to a party and the buffet food was great, really unusual. They said they bought it all from Iceland!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R

fully agree, if you were a football player or a celeb then you would be selling them time advertising their watches, hats, etc
(notice the scramble at the end of the F1's to get upstairs, ostentatiously flick the cuff of the fireproof suit to display the watch, given the sponsored hat etc etc.)
why do people want to be part of the herd and display the name of a company that couldn't care less as to what you are wearing.

mind you the recyclable bags you can get from Iceland in the Uk are very good, perhaps they deserve the free advertising I give them.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

I missed out on Iceland as I thought their food was crap. Only went once to fuengirola for some Bisto. Last year went to a party and the buffet food was great, really unusual. They said they bought it all from Iceland!
I seem to remember that they were showing a TV ad last year next Xmas for all their buffet food and it did look good.

Some of their food is crap - because some of their customers want to buy crap food. I saw some square "sausages" in there. Horrible pink slabs of something nasty. The price was so low I shudder to think what was in them!

On the other hand some of the stuff is really good. We go there for Haddock - smoked and non smoked as it is almost impossible to buy haddock in Spain.

Their fresh meat is good and there is a good selection of dry goods etc.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

I contacted overseas.es 2 days ago asking for the same information that I asked on this forum.

I just received this reply:

The full address and Google map coordinates for our Mijas store are as follows,

Parque Empresarial Miramar – Avda. Carmen Saez de Tejeda s/n – Local M-10, M-11 - 29649 MIJAS – MÁLAGA
tel: 952 667 316
fax: 952 581 196
[email protected]
Map reference 36.53667,-4.6352756

Now that's service!

Even my sat-nav can't get that wrong.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
CM obviously a man !
fashion changes, why do Zara, New Look, TK Maxx. etc etc keep bringing out new ranges ??
women of a certain age will not be seen in an item more than a couple of times, in different places, always looking for something new to parade.
men who do the same are usually rare,
most men seem to enjoy having worn and comfortable and a style they are personally recognised by.
that is why the high street is full of women's clothing and not men's. Perhaps Burtons would like it to change, but it won't.

a man will wear the same suit to the office every day, perhaps a small change of shirt colour and or tie colour. (when working in an office I used to have 3 identical suits with spare trousers so they weren't worn every day and I could get them cleaned regularly. I never bought one shirt, always 3 or 4 at a time.)

has anyone noticed if Iceland Fuengirola are doing clothing ? ? ?
No they don't....but there are a couple of shops close to Iceland that do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.