Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IBI and other taxes Help

IBI and other taxes Help

Old Feb 5th 2011, 11:39 am
Just Joined

thestens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IBI and other taxes Help

My 88 year old mother in law has a house in Santiago De La Ribera( Murcia). It is used infrequently ( 6 weeks a year max). It seems that my wife and I are becoming more and more responsible for organising the payment of taxes.
Mother in Laws husband died 5 years ago but prior to that we think due to disagreement with a gestor no taxes have been paid for about 8/9 years.
The town hall has sent no demands so nothing has been paid. Advice needed
Do we go to town hall and ask what we owe?
Engage a gestor( asked a few times about a recommended one on the forum with no responses).
Ignore the situation and hope nothing happens.

We are beginning to worry about the amount the tax may have mounted upto over the years and any fines that maybe due.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IBI and other taxes Help

Originally Posted by thestens
My 88 year old mother in law has a house in Santiago De La Ribera( Murcia). It is used infrequently ( 6 weeks a year max). It seems that my wife and I are becoming more and more responsible for organising the payment of taxes.
Mother in Laws husband died 5 years ago but prior to that we think due to disagreement with a gestor no taxes have been paid for about 8/9 years.
The town hall has sent no demands so nothing has been paid. Advice needed
Do we go to town hall and ask what we owe?
Engage a gestor( asked a few times about a recommended one on the forum with no responses).
Ignore the situation and hope nothing happens.

We are beginning to worry about the amount the tax may have mounted upto over the years and any fines that maybe due.
Do you mean "income" tax? Thats not dealt with by the town hall. The town hall will collect the council tax for sure, but up here they always send reminders and usually direct to the house owner. Those unpaid charges will be attached to the house.

Eight years of council tax on my place would amount to about €3200

Edit:
I just re read your post, sorry I misread and thought she was living full time there

You will have had to pay non residents tax, and council tax of course. You do need a gestor to look at it i think, for as I said the costs stay with the house

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 5th 2011 at 1:10 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that MB. I doubt there would be any income tax but definitely the non residents and council taxes.
Gestor seems to be the way to go. The difficulty is finding a bilingual one when we are in the UK.
We will be there first week of March and also first week of April.
Any suggestions of how to find a gestor( what do you look for in Spanish Yellow Pages?)
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that MB. I doubt there would be any income tax but definitely the non residents and council taxes.
Gestor seems to be the way to go. The difficulty is finding a bilingual one when we are in the UK.
We will be there first week of March and also first week of April.
Any suggestions of how to find a gestor( what do you look for in Spanish Yellow Pages?)
Presumably she has (had) a bank account there? In which case go to the bank and ask. Mines a bit too far away I'm afraid, although I'm suprised no one has helped you with a recommendation
Old Feb 5th 2011, 5:45 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don´t you just google for a gestor?

http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&rl...&aqi=&aql=&oq=
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

We have tried that. No bilingual ones came up in our area but we are sure there are some, as there are a lot of Brits round there. Also we would prefer to use someone who is recommended if possible.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:06 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

We have tried that. No bilingual ones came up in our area but we are sure there are some, as there are a lot of Brits round there. Also we would prefer to use someone who is recommended if possible.
Looks like you are going to need an interpreter if no one can recommend you a bilingual accountant through this forum. That´s the worst case scenario I think.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jur
Looks like you are going to need an interpreter if no one can recommend you a bilingual accountant through this forum. That´s the worst case scenario I think.
Using Google I came up with Ifra-Asesores with several offices in the province of Murcia. They claim to be bilingual, but their web site ifra-asesores.com is only in Spanish. Their main office phone is 962 233925. Might be worth giving them a call.

Good luck.

iant